• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A high fat diet can cause insulin resistance Spiker, I thought you would know that as there's been a few low-carbing type 1's on the forum who have experienced this first-hand.
Sure, well known, but each unit of dietary fat still requires no insulin regardless of insulin resistance.

Protein (in the absence of carbs) converts to glucose by around 50-60%.
And that is why I said it is mildly not tolerated.

With or without carbs bg will rise if we didn't have insulin in our bodies, that is a fact no one can deny :)
Again I have already addressed this. The fact that we T1s need also insulin to suppress runaway glycogen release, and several much nastier phenomena, doesn't in any way detract from the fact that we are (also) carb intolerant.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The fact that we T1s need also insulin to suppress runaway glycogen release, and several much nastier phenomena, doesn't in any way detract from the fact that we are (also) carb intolerant.
Or to put it another way, on top of everything problematic about T1D, dietary carbs make it worse.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Perhaps it is the definition of 'food intolerance' itself that is the root of the heated debate here
Quite likely. I'm not talking about food intolerance. I'm talking about general intolerance.

And yes death is an "adverse effect". :)

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sure, well known, but each unit of dietary fat still requires no insulin regardless of insulin resistance.

But lets not forget, insulin resistance leads to more insulin being injected.

There's a member on the forum who experienced this following a LCHF diet, they needed to inject 1 unit of insulin for every 1g of carbs, so if they were eating 30g of carbs a day that's 30 units of QA insulin, so one could say they we are intolerant of fat if eaten in excessive amounts ;)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Reactions: 4 people

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
So are you saying someone with a peanut allergy is safe because their body will reject them ? If you were not on insulin, you would get uncontrolled, elevated BG levels after eating carbs. This means you have an intolerance to them unfortunately.

Ive never read so much rubbish in all my life.

Type 1's have a deficiency or a total lack of insulin nothing to do with an intolerance to carbs, there is a huge difference.

Type 2's generally have insulin resistance or an overworked pancreas not an intolerance to carbs, a huge difference. Lose the insulin resistance and most Type 2's are capable of happily eating carbs as most do.

I thought that to insinuate that carbs were poison, like saying that diabetics have an intolerance to them, was against forum rules and yet here we have a forum moderator agreeing that diabetics have an intolerance to carbs, it complete and utter rubbish.

However eating a very low carb diet does and will make one more sensitive to carbs, which is why I was careful to only low carb at 60g a day until I had lost sufficient weight to significantly reduce my insulin resistance so I am now able to eat most carbs in reasonable portions without them having any adverse effects on my bg levels.

Low carbing is NOT the only way despite what many people here seem to say.

equipoise

I thought that to insinuate that carbs were poison, like saying that diabetics have an intolerance to them, was against forum rules and yet here we have a forum moderator agreeing that diabetics have an intolerance to carbs, it complete and utter rubbish..

I'm pretty sure that attacking forum moderators IS against forum rules. So I assume you're going to be banned now. Goodbye

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty

Type 1's have a deficiency or a total lack of insulin nothing to do with an intolerance to carbs, there is a huge difference.

Type 2's generally have insulin resistance or an overworked pancreas not an intolerance to carbs, a huge difference. Lose the insulin resistance and most Type 2's are capable of happily eating carbs as most do.

I thought that to insinuate that carbs were poison, like saying that diabetics have an intolerance to them, was against forum rules and yet here we have a forum moderator agreeing that diabetics have an intolerance to carbs, it complete and utter rubbish.

However eating a very low carb diet does and will make one more sensitive to carbs, which is why I was careful to only low carb at 60g a day until I had lost sufficient weight to significantly reduce my insulin resistance so I am now able to eat most carbs in reasonable portions without them having any adverse effects on my bg levels.

Wow!:( Another attack on someones polite opinion-no surprises there then!:facepalm:

Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !

Welcome back Sid :)
Missed you :)

Reactions: 10 people

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Intolerance, noun. 1 an unwillingness to accept views, beliefs, or behaviour that differ from one's own. 2 an inability to eat a food or take a drug without adverse effects.

Which made me smile; Mr Bonkers is a bit of an expert in the first definition and the second seems quite well accepted as a description of what happens when diabetics eat carbs.

Dillinger

Reactions: 5 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The trouble is no one is right and no one is wrong, we should all just respect each others opinions and move on and let the result of the poll speak for itself.

The thread could go on for another 20 pages but I doubt minds will change :)

Reactions: 5 people

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The trouble is no one is right and no one is wrong, we should all just respect each others opinions and move on and let the result of the poll speak for itself.

The thread could go on for another 20 pages but I doubt minds will change :)

You're right,
It's semantics really - in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter. Diabetes sucks either way!
What has been good though is that this thread has made people think, and question what they think they know - which is always a good thing in my book.:)

Reactions: 9 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
what a great thread, more like this please, gripping stuff

Reactions: 2 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yep it has kept me reading to see who can argue against the same point the longest. :wacky:

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
But lets not forget, insulin resistance leads to more insulin being injected.

Yes, more insulin injected, *per unit of carbs ingested*

No units of carbs ingested = No extra insulin injected.

Whatever units of fat ingested = No extra insulin injected.

This is so far from being rocket science..... oh I give up. :)

Have a lovely day everybody !
xxx

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Great thread.
I can only speak for me. To be diabetes is different things to different people. What works for one doesn't work for others.
As I said for me ...as an individual ...I used to feel terrible , couldn't concentrate , was hot and sweaty most of the time and was knackered ...the usual things. I now exercise every day , watch my carb intake most of the time ( below 120/150mg day) , I'm 5'7" weigh 159lb (used to be 182 lb and hoping to get to 154lb asap ) any way I feel better than I have in years , and I mean years. The way I see it I can't tolerate more than 150mg carbs a day because if I have a lot of carbs I feel ****. So I avoid a lot of bread potatoes rice and pasta And oranges , bananas , apples , chocolate ( I treat myself to a little bit of dark chocolate every evening and fit it in my carb allowance).
It is working for me but im not saying it ll work for everyone.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Decent thread with good arguments from both sides. Just what this forum is about. As per usual with any threads involving carbs, no definitive right or wrong, but that's cool. At least nobody stooped to personal attacks on anyone :)
Right, on to the next one !

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
your right mo! ok we need some personal attacks please, ill start us off, Mo smells!

lol who loves ya baby

Status
Not open for further replies.