Type 2 Diabetics wake up at 3:00 am ?

Clase

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV
This happens to me off and on - I know through my local low carb group that it also happens to folks who are not diabetic . For some of us, me included, it's linked to a sharp drop in BG followed by an equally sharp rise which seems (in my case anyway) to be the start of dawn phenomenon. It also goes along with nightmares and heavy (really heavy) sweating.

I can't explain the reason for the sudden fall (although I'd guess my liver is up to something) - and there seems to be little or nothing in the literature about it. If anyone has found anything, please link it here. Before widespread CGM use (and in particular Abbott's free CGM trial) I don't see how I could have detected it. By the time you wake up properly and test, the fall is over and BGs are climbing.

My A1c has been around 36 for over four years and I rarely get a fingerprick reading anywhere above 6 these days. Until the CGM trial, I had no reason to think it was linked to BG in any way. I tend to think whatever it is has an impact on BG, rather than my BG itself being the cause.

I'm attaching a CGM graph from a non-diabetic individual that shows the 3am BG fall very well.
This is fascinating. I'm getting the heavy sweating too. I often wake up wet through and once I go to the loo, I'm really cold when I get back to bed.
I've had a liver problem recently as a result of a nasty virus and/ or the antibiotics used to treat it. I am having regular b.ood tests until things are back to normal. But my blood sugar is higher than usual in the mornings. It's usual in the low 6s but it's in the high 7s now despite not eating any differently.

SussexGeoff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Most humans, Politics and Me Me Me types!
I have chronic insiomnia and I can wake at 1 am, 2 am, 3 am etc, If I sleep 3 hrs in a row I’ve had a good night, my normal night is about 7 hrs in 1 or 2 hr stints with wide awake bits in between- my worse nights in no sleep at all. Last Saturday night I went to bed at 11.30 and finally got some sleep at 6am Sunday morning was up at 9.30 again.

Please don’t start and give me advice on sleep hygiene been there done it all nothing works. It’s a 30 odd year problem and I’ve learned to live with it. I could probably have better BG if I slept well but I probably never know
I so feel and share your insomnia misery... he says, whilst trying to keep eyes open on sofa at 3pm due to being awake since 1:45am again

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tôi cũng thường thức dậy lúc 3 giờ sáng. Mình đọc được thông tin rất hữu ích, cảm ơn bạn đã chia sẻ.
Hi ketquamoinhat and welcome to the forums. This is an English language forum and we expect all posts to be in English - it's OK to use a service such as Google Translate for that, and many of our posters do.

For the benefit of others, here's the Google Translate:

I also usually wake up at 3 am. I read very useful information, thank you for sharing.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wake between 1 & 2 and take a pill to reduce jaw muscle twitch, and also to relieve my lower legs and feet, which feel uncomfortably hot around that time (but aren't). Then awake again around 4 for a pee, and finally 6-7 for coffee and chemo pill. The muscle twitch has a name which means they don't know what causes it. I used to get night sweats but assumed it was a symptom of the cancer.

Reactions: Omar51