Diagnosed last Thursday 28th or was I?

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
I had been getting symptoms from about the middle of January, however did not want to go and get it checked because I have a phobia about giving blood, not needles, just giving blood.
At the end of February I was hit with the Norovirus which wiped me out, I found myself drinking excessively as I recovered 15+ pints of different fluid a day and it all had to be ice cold, 4 pints of milk 5 pints of smoothie (fresh fruit, I bought a smoothie maker) Pepsi Max and 2 Pint Stella (because it was cold from the fridge)
I also got into the habit of having a Subway or Mc Donalds every day it was like a craving I had to have it on top of my normal meals
I tried to put it down to my body recovering from the virus and correcting itself by extreme
The back of my mind told me that I was Diabetic and I would need to get it checked however the problem of giving blood remained and stopped me.
On the 28th March (day before good Friday) I was walking past the Chemist and saw that the gave a free diabetic check so I went in to get a reading it was 26 they immediately sent me over to the surgery to have it checked again took about 2 hours of waiting and the reading was 19 I was then sent in to the duty doctor.
He said that he would put me on meds that will drop the sugar pretty quick due to it being very high and asked me to urinate to check the ketones, when I came back he checked the sample and told me there was ketones in my urine and that he had changed his mind about the meds he now said that he would prescribe me with Metformin which was quite slow to work, I didn't really agree in my mind, but hey he was the GP, he said that my sugars could became to low and because I had had thee symptoms for awhile another few days wont really make a difference so I was sent away with a Metformin prescription and told not to drink smoothies.
Over the weekend I have had to do a lot of research haven't got a clue what or if I am doing right, I changed my eating habits cut down on carbs now have 5 meals a day by using the recipe's and advice from the internet but have no way to check my sugar level, I know that my eyes have been feeling pressure and are quite painful this actually only started happened last week hence the push to go into the Chemist, I do feel a bit less tired though.
I have got to have my bloods tested tomorrow (I'm really not looking forward to it)then I am booked in with a dietician on Friday.
However what if my sugar level is still high do I just wait again and eat what I researched on the internet, surely the sugar level needs to come down quickly.
I have taken to eating ham onion and cheese omelettes, ham and salad with sweet potato chips, I cut out the bread for the weekend but did have a small cooked breakfast, and bought Riveta whole-wheat crackerbread to eat with Tuna or pesto tomatoes as an in-between snack, fluids are sugar free juice in soda water and I must admit to having about 3 pints over the weekend.
All in all an improvement on the diet but my eyes still hurt, the only time they stopped was when I was getting physical in the garden digging (strange).
I am 5ft 9ins and weigh 12 stone so I am not over weight I am usually around 13 stone, and I do not really want to lose any weight so I have bought protein drinks to try and increase without using carbs.
lets see what tomorrow brings, I thought I would share and log this weekend on the web-site, I am sure that a few friends and mentors will be gained over the next few months

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
By the way I am not sure if I getting headaches from the Metformin or the Diabetes

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
I have been checking ingredients vigorously this weekend and a question I do have when it says the amount of carbohydrate and then says the amount that sugars, would this be what to look out for "the amount that sugars"?

elaine77

Hi Carl,

With regards to the sugar... Ignore the 'of which sugars' bit because its irrelevant, all carbs are broken down into sugar so just count the carbs bit :) welcome to the forum and I'm sure someone will be along soon with intro information for u.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Geocacher

Hi Carlrr,

Good to see that you're already making sensible changes to your diet. Being diagnosed can be quite a shock, in more ways than one. There's a lot of information on this site and also from sensible sources like the Mayo Clinic and NICE websites. There are also some good books around that give carb counts or foods and recipes and tell you what you should expect from your GP. In my experience you may have to ask for what you need, not all GPs are aware of what they should do for a diabetic patient.

For starters make sure your being prescribed the slow release metformin, the usual brand name is Glucophage SR though I've had some other brands through the years. They will say slow release or modified release somewhere on the package, look for it. If it's not there ask to get the slow release version, you'll have far less problems with side effects than you would with the generic metformin. It's a medication that's been used for years and with good results. Be aware that it may over the course of a few years metformin may cause B12 deficiency, it's easily treated and easy to find if you get a yearly B12 test. Also ask for a meter and test strips, testing is easier than you may think even if you don't like giving blood. Papercuts are worse and it's better to know if your blood sugar is high or low than to guess.

Not all fruits and veg are good for you, not all breads and fats are bad for you. Berries and melons tend to be lower in sugar than apples, bananas and pears. Dried fruits are higher in sugar than fresh fruits. Spring onions are lower in sugar than other onions, new potatoes are lower in carbohydrates than baking potatoes. Whole grain breads and nut and seed breads tend to be lower in carbohydrates than white bread. If you like porridge, have oat bran porridge rather than rolled oat porridge. Pay attention to both the carbohydrate and sugar content of foods, it's best to choose those with lower carbohydrates and even better if they are low in sugar. More sugar means that the carbohydrates present will be used by your body faster than starchy carbohydrates.

Above all, being diabetic need not stop you from living. It means making sensible choices and thinking more about what you eat and how activities may affect you but you get used to that.

BobCornelius

Hi Carl, welcome aboard!

Good advice from both posts above, sounds like you are heading the right way!

If you want more internet research, it's worth looking at the fact that some foods release carbs more slowly, and the way some foods are cooked can also make a difference, ie frying things in oil will slow down the release!

:)

Bob

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Carl and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members and I hope this will be useful to you. Ask all the questions you need to and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
Thank you for your introductions

The Metformin brand I am on is actavis, apart from a headache I haven't had any noticeable side effects, ant tell you if my blood sugar has gone down because they haven't given me a meter yet.
Blood test today, the anaesthetic cream worked put it on 2 hours before and hardly felt anything, happy about that.

Still have to wait until Friday when I see the Diabetic nurse to know more, so I am just cutting down till then, eyes aren't hurting yet, but my stomach is empty.

So I am going to have some bite size shreddies and a protein drink mixed with water and see what happens

Thats my today so far, I did think I would find out more at the surgery this morning, if im still 26 I may be like it until Friday

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Hi,

just a quiclk not eto say beware breakfast cereals. Check the labels. There is so much sugar in lots of them even ones you think are ok, also the Carb content of most is also high. Just check the labels.

Also be careful with the sweet potato as I find it spikes me almost as badly as potatos. I would ak for a BG monitor but if you don't get one then look into buying one, just research the cost of strips before you decide on one as this is the expensive part. Some companies will send you a free monitor as they know you will be spending money on the strips.

Geocacher

From what I remember of the various brands I've had, Actavis is not slow release.

500 mg is a low dose, and it's normal for people to be started on a low dose. 1500mg to 2000mg per day are common maintenance dosages and it's best to ask for slow release metformin before your dosage is increased. It will make a real difference in how you feel and how well it helps to lower your blood sugar. Many primary care trusts don't immediately offer slow release because it's more expensive to supply.

I spent a year taking regular metformin before I found out about slow release and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I knew the location of every public loo in town and rarely traveled far from any of them.

The other thing you may want to consider doing sooner rather than later is to apply for a medical exemption card. Your diabetic nurse should have the forms for that or at the very least be able to tell you where to get them.

Best of luck with the test and with the nurse.

elaine77

I'm on Metformin 500mg twice a day and its not slow release. I've had some bad gastro side effects but they fade the longer u use it so ive just stuck with it. With regard to cereal I find either Cheerios or Weetabix r the best! (Bran flakes are also gud but I don't really like them much!) I have trouble with dawn phenomenon and Weetabix or Cheerios bring me right down to about 5.5 mmol two hours later :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
Again thanks for all your posts

So far I havent had any gastric side effects with the Metformin I am on 2 a day, I will now ask for slow release, thats very good abvice
I cant check the sugars yet on the Shredded wheat but will be looking at the carb amount on the packet as suggested, I do find that additional protein drink does fill me up and contains no carbs so thats a plus.

Once I get the monitor I will be finding out what lifts my sugars and what doesnt, all your advice is greatly appriciated

What is a a medical exemption card.?

Geocacher

A medical exemption card allows you to get free prescriptions -- one of the few advantages to being diabetic.

It's a simple process to apply, you fill in a form, signed by your GP and send it in and a few weeks later they send you a plastic card with a reference number on it. It's good for five years then you repeat the process for a new card.

I was told that my GP should have told me about it and provided me with a form but that didn't happen, fortunately I knew about it because I'd had a pre-pay card for a few years so I sorted it out for myself.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Sounds like you are really doing all the right things with regard to diet. Keep at it and your sugars should reduce. Yes, take account of total carbs not just sugar. As other posts have said, Metformin SR is the best for people who are likely to have stomach problems. Not every one has these problems so you may be lucky but at least you know there is an option if needed. Starting at 500mg is good as it enables the body to get used to the drug. It is a very safe well proven drug but diet will still have the biggest effect on your blood sugar. One of the posts has mentioned LADA, Late Onset Type 1. If you are young and not overweight then it is always a background possibility. If your sugars don't reduce with the diet and tablets do come back to ask more; hopefully the diet will work for you. The good news is that alcohol isn't a problem in sensible quantities; just don't go mad! Do get hold of a meter if you can. Most suppliers will provide them for free if you contact them as they make their money out of the test strips which you can buy more cheaply on the web; sometimes VAT free as a diabetic.

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
I live in Wales so we dont pay for prescriptions, but thank you for the heads up

Ham onion and cheese omlette today + protein drink

Lunch at the gym on the bike

Going to come up with an idea for tea possibly chicken thighs and potatoes or chips see what that does

I am thinking aloud on this site but thats just to log for future use, so appologies if im rambling

going to buy a machine from Asda get it done and dusted today and I can post my results after what I eat

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
Just tested on an empty stomach 13.9 not as low as I would have liked it to be but it has dropped since last Thursday, my tea tonight is chicken, half a jacket potato, salad inc beetroot and a small piece of white bread (bloomer)

GranRita

carrirr, Welcome to the ever growing family of Diabetes!! Just hang in there, you sound as if you are trying to get the balance right, already. Keep at it & the sugar count will drop. Mine took several weeks when I was first diagnosed, & it was rewarding to see the numbers dropping gradually. A further incentive to keep on trying. You do need the equipment to test for yourself, though. I feel it is everyone's right to be handed a kit, & our resposibility to use it sensibly.You will learn all the time, & it does get easier. The good people of the forum will be a great help. Good luck. See Ya!

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
Thanks for advise with regards to the equipment, went out and bought a reader, before eating and before tea I had a reading of 13.9 on an empty stomach, now after tea and supper I am a reading of 17.4

Tea was Jacket potato, chicken, salad in beetroot and a small slice of white bread, supper was 4 hours later ham, onion, cheese omelette

2 x 500mg Metformin may need increasing or other med prescribed to be the extra push

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would advise you to ask for a gad antibody test. This is to see if you have anti bodies attacking you causing your body to produce little or no insulin. Having high sugars and ketones (sugar in urine) is more common in type 1. Really, having the level of sugar you had with ketones should of been a trip to a&e to see what ketone level was and to do a gad test. Not being overweight also a sign of type 1, though not in all cases. Please get checked out properly so you can have correct meds.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
brett said:
I would advise you to ask for a gad antibody test. This is to see if you have anti bodies attacking you causing your body to produce little or no insulin. Having high sugars and ketones (sugar in urine) is more common in type 1. Really, having the level of sugar you had with ketones should of been a trip to a&e to see what ketone level was and to do a gad test. Not being overweight also a sign of type 1, though not in all cases. Please get checked out properly so you can have correct meds.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

I have had a blood test proper one from the vein today, seeing the diabetic nurse on Friday that will have the results, currently 17. 4 after food, it was 13.9 on an empty stomach before my food