Diagnosed Nearly 6 Months Ago... My Journey so far

petrapcb

Hi all,

I feel as if I am not a new diagnosis as it was 6 months ago now, but it still all feels new to me, and I am always looking for knowledge particularly around food as I have a limited understanding of my options.

I was diagnosed in September 2021 with a figure of 59 mmol. At the time I had Covid and was steroids and therefore this was being treated with insulin and metformin. I was told that I would need to start taking metformin daily after this. But I wanted to try managing my diabetes through diet and if it didn't work then go onto the medication. So once I stopped taking steroids, I also stopped taking any medication.

I was testing myself regularly, before and after each meal to learn what was spiking me and what wasn't. I didn't really understand the full extent of how carbs worked, so pretty much cut them out of my diet. I was not counting my daily intake of carbs, but do believe it would have been between 20-40 g a day. I was tired a lot of the time. After reading the 8-week diet book I also decided that rapid weight loss was necessary. I knew that I must be losing weight anyway, because I was not snacking and sticking to 3-4 meals a day. At the same time I read a magazine about tackling diabetes and was introduced to intermittent fasting. Again I realised that I most probably was doing that naturally because I was not snacking and sticking to set meals. But now this all became intentional. Cutting out carbs, fasting for 14 hours a day (a 10-hour eating window) and drinking up to 3 litres of water a day.

I informed my GP that I was not taking any medication because so far my daily readings had dropped considerably and I was maintaining a low rate. So I had a fasting blood test and it was 3.9, then they decided to do an HBAC1 and it was 40 - this was the end of October. I continued dieting and keeping my carbs low, and I lost 3 stones by the end of January. My fasting had increased to 16/8 based on further education, but I did start to increase my carbs as I wanted to start exercising, and I walk daily and do short bursts of high-intensity workouts a couple of times a week. My hair thinned considerably during this time and I have had to cut it a lot shorter. The hospital contacted me to see how I was progressing with diabetes and were not convinced that my HbAc1 was totally accurate in October, so sent me off for another test. This came back at 37.

My goal is to maintain this, but I am concerned about how feasible this is, as I also aim to increase my carbs to about 130g a day, as advised by the diabetes dietician at my hospital. But I get we are all different and what works for me might not work for others. I know I have done well, but I just don't want this to be a fluke and am struggling with the concept of maintaining this long term, maybe that is just paranoia.

Anyway any tips or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Reactions: rhubarx

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Congratulations @petrapcb and welcome to the forums. It certainly sounds that you have turned your diabetes round.

I would like to make 3 comments (other than a warm welcome.)

1) Have you talked to a doctor about your hair loss? There can be a number of causes for this and I wouldn't assume diabetes. In your position I'd probably ask for a blood panel to check any obvious suspects eg thyroid.

2) As regards the exercise, plenty of the keto T2s on here do some serious exercising. I'll tag @Mbaker who is one of them.

3)As regards the 130g. Different dieticians have differing views on this. Some people hold their T2 in remission fine on this level or even higher, others find their meters tell them that this is too much. I personally would recommend that you let your meter be your guide. And some people find it easier to keep to a nearly keto diet than 130g ones, while others welcome the extra carbs (me, but I'm not T2 :).)

There are lots of support threads with low carb food suggestions, and ones with long term support via posting your morning bgs (we have several of those because some are more or less chatty).

Have a browse round the forums and see what you fancy. Good luck and congratulations on your latest awesome hba1c.

finzi1966

Congratulations on your fabulous results!

My sister lost lots of hair after having Covid, so that could be what’s going on (it settled in the end, it’s fine now).

I don’t think you should automatically just obey the dietician and have 130g carbs a day. Nobody *needs* that amount of carbs. What’s important is what your meter says. If you’re fine with that amount and your readings and HbA1C stay fine, then great. Lucky you! I can’t even imagine being able to eat 130g carbs per day :(( In fact there’s a good chance that for you it will be fine, because your high initial HbA1C (which wasn’t *massively* high anyway, although certainly well into the diabetic range) might have been influenced by your Covid and your steroids. Your LC diet, your IF and your weight loss seem to have put you into remission. Enough remission to cope with 130g carbs per day? Only time (and your meter) will tell you. But it’s a completely arbitrary figure, not a “target”. I’d maybe edge up, 10g a time for a week, until my meter said “no”.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have done terrifically well - go you!

I was diagnosed in September also, so I can vouch for how do-able diet/lifestyle changes were for me. I went keto and it suits me well, but we are all different, so you are wise to test and research your own body's responses to whatever you eat.

I have found the vast majority of nutritionists/dieticians well behind the curve with what they say and I assume believe, in the teeth of more modern research, especially as many of them have an "agenda". If the medic says one thing and your body says another, believe your body. Also be aware that BG is part of our natural fight-or-flight response, and will alter if we have a major incident in our lives. It's okay. We are not machines that always read the same no matter what. BG will stabilise once the major assault on our equilibrium has passed.

Once again, congratulations on having got hold of this.

Reactions: petrapcb

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @petrapcb and welcome to the forum.
I suggest you base the amount of carbs you eat on what your BG meter tells you rather than the arbitrary advice from a diabetes dietician. Who in any case could only base their advice on an 'average T2 patient' who almost certainly doesn't exist in real life because our genes gut biome, exercise regime, tastes are all different.
Are you fearful of fat? Do you feel you need carbs for energy? I just wonder because of the growing numbers of keto/low carb athletes who are fat adapted and are able to train quite hard and long without carbs.

petrapcb

Thank you all. This has been amazing advice and so reassuring. Actually very informative too, because I do not know much about keto diets. I have an overall idea but have not carried out any detailed research. Even though initially I assume (?) I was in the keto diet range for at least the first 3 months as I avoided carbs like the plague. So that is definitely something for me to look into.

Also when everyone talks about the meter I am assuming you mean taking regular tests of my BG. I am again so glad to hear that, as I have been told over and over again by the nurses and Dr that I should not be testing regularly because it can be misleading, and I have felt like I have been banging my head against a wall when I say that although it might give me false hope it is the only indicator that I have, so I believe I should be testing regularly.

Again thanks everyone, I shall dive into the links provided and learn, learn, learn.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
You have done exceptionally well, your results were not believed because "they" are used to progressing people onto more drug therapy.

Carbs are not required for even heavy gym work. They are good for a muscle pump as they hold more water and provide the full look - by taking salt before a workout a similar effect can be had (and just a focused hard workout). Whilst it is not possible to give you direct advice like your diabetes dietitian, I can say what I have seen and what I would do in your position, so here's my take:

130 grams of carbs is what the mainstream class as lowest of low carb, due to out dated beliefs on what levels of glucose are required by the brain to function. Many low carb / keto "experts" and participants range from 10 - 100 grams. History has shown that many easily thrive on 10 times less than the 130 grams, but to stay with the science, Dr Eric Westman recommends less than or equal to 20 grams of carbs total and Virta Health are at 30 grams - both are authoritative practices approved for insurance use in the US (I operate between around 20 and 75, depending on if I opt for vegetables with meals and the amount of berries consumed.

Your liver will automatically produce glucose on demand to fuel workouts or general energy requirements. The more fat adapted you become, by having minimal carbs, the easier ketones can be used to fuel your activities seamlessly. I had Covid 4 months ago and have eaten meals like the below to get me back to 7 miles of walking a day and 2 hiit resistance weight training sessions or similar:

Breakfast:
Air fried kippers and nandos seasoned turkey breasts, with berries and roasted nuts with melted 100% Montezuma dark chocolate with chili powder

Dinner:
Fajita spicy chicken and vegetables, tinned sardines, smoked salmon and dry fried halloumi, with a dessert of keto almond lemon drizzle cake (was my daughter birthday yesterday....yes I did a quarter (5.2 post prandial reading, so I will be close to 4 fbg in the morning).

upload_2022-3-7_19-32-16.png

My breakfast is representative, but I tend to normally have home made seed crackers (diet doctor recipe) with marmite for afters and the same nut and dark chocolate or seconds of the dinner.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Just for accountability of the recommendations I posted, here's my fbg this morning:

upload_2022-3-8_9-17-0.png

petrapcb

Again thanks to all and @Mbaker that was very useful, I have copied your meal choices down so I can start experimenting. I must admit I don't think I have ever reached 130g in carbs. The closest I have been is 100g. After reading these posts I dropped it to 60g and had a 5.7 reading that night, although in the morning it was 5.8 which I was not happy with, as I prefer to under 5.4 and ideally under 5 as I am purely diet controlled. So I think my am reading will be more indicative of how the carbs have affected me from the day before. Does that make sense to anyone?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I keep to low carb because I put on weight very easily eating more carbs - this has happened over and over since I was in my early 20s - because my GPs have always pushed high carb foods and low fat. When diagnosed I was almost spherical.
I'd really advise that you watch your weight and not eat more carbs than you can cope with, no matter what advice you are given.