Diagnosed Type 2 ,trying to reverse it !!

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi @Cupcake123. welcome :)

Your diagnostic levels are very similar to what mine were. Have a read of my 'first year' and low carb guide linked in my sig below.

I was also 'prescribed' statins, refused to take them.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi there, diagnosed type2 in June of this year, hba1c 67 , cholesterol 6, prescribed Metformin and statins which to date I am reluctant to start taking, I have changed my diet around completely and really want to reverse my diabetes without medication, I have had my 2 sessions with the diabetes team at my clinic and had a one to one with a dietician ,I have told my diabetes nurse about not starting meds just yet, and would like to be tested again 3 months from diagnosis, I am finding all the numbers and percentgages confusing I have a few questions I would like to ask...

1, going by my blood results above are those readings really high ?
2, is it possible I can totally avoid the meds by diet only ?

I have had other major health problems in the past, cancer, brain surgery to remove a benign tumour ,which I had no control over
Just feel i want to control the diabetes myself and will do anything I can in my power to try and reverse it !!!

Thanks for reading .

In answer to question 2, theoretically yes.

You no doubt still have some functioning beta cells producing insulin in your body and the human body can function perfectly well without carbohydrate. Consequently for you to function, you could basically follow a zero carb diet (not that I would recommend it necessarily:eek:) and never have any need for meds and never develop any complications through diabetes.
The only 'proviso' to this is one of the 'health' of your liver. Unfortunately, one of the complications of T2 diabetes is that the liver becomes less able to moderate how much glucose it releases into the blood stream. (Metformin is believed to mimic the 'hormone' in the liver that suppresses this) Consequently it could be that even on a zero carb diet you still have elevated blood glucose levels.

No harm, no fowl - you could try cutting out carbs for a week and you would find out very quickly if you could live med free, as your BGs would come right down within a matter of days.

Whether or not it's realistic to think that you could live a carb free lifestyle - that's for you to decide.:)

Reactions: 2 people