Diagnosed with Type1 at 36 Years old.

Anders_UK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, Today I was diagnosed as a Type 1 diabetic. I'm 36 years old. One thing that has thrown me is the talk of my GAD rating; it was 2000 in my blood test. Can someone tell me how this has been reduced? I have doctors Friday to start insulin and there is talk of me going to the hospital. I'm so confused. TIA

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Anders_UK & welcome to the forum, I can’t help with your questions as I’m T2 diet controlled but other T1 will be along to help you soon I’m sure :) I’ll tag one of our members @Antje77 who may have some answers for you

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, Today I was diagnosed as a Type 1 diabetic. I'm 36 years old. One thing that has thrown me is the talk of my GAD rating; it was 2000 in my blood test. Can someone tell me how this has been reduced? I have doctors Friday to start insulin and there is talk of me going to the hospital. I'm so confused. TIA
The GAD is usually seen as either positive or negative, the number doesn't matter much as far as I know.
The GAD antibodies are the ones that attack your insulin producing cells, which is the definition of T1.
Yours is positive, hence the T1 diagnosis.

If your blood glucose is dangerously high, the hospital is the right place to be.

Take it easy, there is a lot to learn with a T1 diagnosis, but you don't need to learn it all at once!
For now, I'd simply follow your doctor and see what they say.

If you want to read up about it, here is a good place to start: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/5-things-any-newly-diagnosed-type-1-should-know.175425/