Diagnosis! At last!

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
Thanks to the wonderful folk on this forum that have been patiently helping me during my frustrating journey.

I got my letter back after I asked for the anti GAD test. SO, it's positive. I have been told to stop the Gliclazide (which wasn't working anyway!) and I'll be going on insulin. I have type 1.5 (LADA).

I'm just so happy that I know what I'm dealing with now. :clap:

RussG

Hi Sanober,

I'm pleased you have a diagnosis that allows you get some effective treatment. From my perspective, insulin's no picnic, but neither is it the worst thing in the world, and I was very pleased to have blood sugar regularly in single figures after a couple of weeks. Good luck.

Russ

Fallenstar

Great news Sanober :D Hope things work out for you....no limbo land for you now, phew! and at least you never got very poorly :thumbup: Onwards and upwards now!

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm glad you finally have a diagnosis. Now you'll hopefully get the treatment you need and hopefully start to feel better soon. :thumbup:

Ann

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations, Sanober! That's the best news for you! You'll get used to the jabs very quickly and will be able to have reasonable meals again! I cried when i had to go on insulin, but it's the best thing I've done. I am also pleased about how much I learned about the effects of food on my BG while I was trying to control Type 1 diabetes by diet and exercise alone :roll: Ultimately, I think that experience enabled me to get to grips with calculating and adjusting insulin doses very quickly - and the fact I'm still producing insulin helped me get good control almost as soon as I went onto insulin. I'm sure you'll find the same. Let us know how you get on!

Smidge

Sanober

Dislikes
Thanks all,

I'm lucky I showed antibodies for a clearer diagnosis, there are still many folk out there that are still looking.

I'm a bit annoyed that the medics were too fixated on my parents having T2 and it being a hereditory condition that they ran tests on the more rarer MODY than checking for LADA. I've got a whole new thing to learn about now :lol:

So, this is now the start of another journey with a whole new set of challenges.

If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't have had the confidence to question the medics, so thanks again for all the support. I will certainly be looking for guidance going forward, that's for sure!

Got my appointment back at the Diabetes clinic with the nurse on the 12th. I told my work colleagues yesterday to prepare them because now we have Hypos to be aware of as part of the mix no doubt.

Also, I really don't want it to be a big deal for people to see me injecting at my desk as that's where I have my lunch mostly!

Now I need to tell my worrisome mother.... :problem:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi Sanober.
You have had raised BG levels for some time now [like me]
Great news you finally have the answers to why this has been happening.
Now you have to start a new journey on insulin, it isnt as terrible or awful as I had imagined, once you get into the routine it does get easier.
I have been on insulin for the last 6months now, its NOT bringing my daily BG levels down to a steady pattern yet! Am still yo-yoing up and down... :crazy:
Have been thinking of requesting a c-peptide test or the gad test ? [should I do?]
As my DSN has been suggesting I may need other insulin therapy. :?:
Have just been bumbling along doing as my told with the insulin levemir split doses 35/35 units daily.
Am still in the dark as to just WHAT is going on , and not quite getting there yet with my yo-yoing high BG levels.
Is it possible that I could be this LADA type ?
What exactly does it mean too?
Have read up on it but am still baffled with it . :?
Theres so much to learn and understand, harder to when things dont go smoothly huh ? :thumbdown:
Anna.

AMBrennan

At the end of the day a patient can have some degree of insulin deficit (type 1 ish) and/or insulin resistance (type 2 ish). Inventing more types based on other factors such as age may not be necessary or helpful.
Regardless, LADA is basically type 1 (i.e. insulin deficit due to autoimmune destruction of beta cells) in those older than the typical age of onset for type 1.

Generally, if you are taking insulin then the exact diagnosis is not very important; the main problem is older insulin deficient diabetics being misdiagnosed as type 2 due to their age - there aren't any really good tests for that - antibodies may not be present in type 1, glucose clamp technique is only used in research, etc. However, insulin deficient patients (I.e. Type 1, LADA, etc ) will require insulin which is usually only given to t2s after all else fails.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
You must feel so much better now, Sanober, just from the sheer relief of knowing what you're dealing with. Congratulations! I'm sure all the insulin users on here will rally round with tips and advice - isn't it nice not to be alone?

Good luck with your mother! I hope you can convince her it's not the end of the world. They never stop worrying about us, do they?

Viv 8)

Sanober

Dislikes
anna29 said:
Hi Sanober.
You have had raised BG levels for some time now [like me]
Great news you finally have the answers to why this has been happening.
Now you have to start a new journey on insulin, it isnt as terrible or awful as I had imagined, once you get into the routine it does get easier.
I have been on insulin for the last 6months now, its NOT bringing my daily BG levels down to a steady pattern yet! Am still yo-yoing up and down... :crazy:
Have been thinking of requesting a c-peptide test or the gad test ? [should I do?]
As my DSN has been suggesting I may need other insulin therapy. :?:
Have just been bumbling along doing as my told with the insulin levemir split doses 35/35 units daily.
Am still in the dark as to just WHAT is going on , and not quite getting there yet with my yo-yoing high BG levels.
Is it possible that I could be this LADA type ?
What exactly does it mean too?
Have read up on it but am still baffled with it . :?
Theres so much to learn and understand, harder to when things dont go smoothly huh ? :thumbdown:
Anna.

Oh Anne, you've had a terrible time of things with your operation and all recently. Hope you're making a good recovery. I always assumed you already had the c-pep and antibodies tested in the past? You're situation is very difficult and different to mine in that you also have other health issues :(

You should definitely ask for the tests, especially as you seem to have other autoimmune problems because that should be another criteria for testing for antibodies to show an attack on the Pancreas.

I've spent the last few hours reading up on this Type 1.5 /LADA. It's essentially Type 1 but occurs in later life and a specific antiGAD test shows the typical antibodys that are attacking the beta cells in the Pancreas. A C-petide should be done too but my level was normal a few months back when they tested, but I bet it's lower now! In 70-80% of LADA cases the anti-GAD is postive, but in the remaining it is negative, so both tests need to be done. I think there are a few different antibodies that can be tested for various attacks on the Pancreas but the AntiGAD is the one that is present in LADA. IA2 is present in children/young adults :?: but in some cases none at all either.

A generous Endcronolgist should test for all perhaps. :silent:

I haven't read about anyone yet that has a normal C-pep AND a negative anti GAD yet on the internet but fits the slim/skinny build, I don't even think there is a true slim T2 at diagnosis (internal fat from insulin resistence?) Or "thin fat" that Viv showed research of on this forum?), but I'm by no means an expert. (There is a Type 1b, which is similar to LADA and it doesn't show anti-bodies and it can go into remission at times). There is certainly misdiagnosis out there especially when a T2 who has some weight gets shoved straight into the T2 category, however if sugars are going up and up an antibody test should really be done.

Type 1 /Type 1.5 can't be controlled just by exercise, weight loss and diet and will need insulin therapy (perhaps small amounts at the start because at the early stages of LADA there is still some natural insulin being produced). The pills won't do anything and especially the insulin stimulating pills like Gliclazide/Glipizide will just erode beta cells further. Mine seems to have come on quickly, as you'll see from A1cs below, usually they say 4 -10 for insulin dependence, I wonder if I have some other antibodies too that are doing the damage more quickly? Too scientific and too much of a headache right now to consider.

It all went haywire since my Endometrious operation at the start of August. Did this mean my already wackly autoimmune system just went mental? I still don't know and will probably never know.

Thank so much Viv you really have helped me out at times when I thought I was going mad.

AMBrennan, I don't completely understand what your comments are about sorry.

I needed a clear diagnosis so I can get on the right treatment it's going to be tricky as the other T1.5s have indicated here :***:

Incidentally my mother, overweight (because of her bi-polar drugs) in her 50s diagnosed T2 has Thyroid problems and Rheumotoid Athritis (hmmmm other autoimmune disorders?) - went on to insulin 4 years later :?:
My dad a bit overweight, in his 50s, diagnosed T2 - happily getting by on one 80mg Gliclazide / day
I have a skinny cousin who's been happily on Metaformin for 5 years now - he was diagnosed late 20s
I'm T1.5 (or slow on set of T1 what ever label is required to distinguish from the above) and I'm normal weight and 34 - need insulin therapy within less than a year of formal diagnosis.

I think my family has covered off most of the categories :lol:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I
think my family has covered off most of the categories
I doubt it :lol: I can think of lots more.
I don't know whether to congratulate you, it seems rather a strange thing to do, but I can see that you are much happier not being in limbo. I'm sure you'll feel a lot better once you are able to have some control over your levels.

I must admit I am glad I never had to go through the uncertainty that you have done.
(I was an Ostritch and ignored all the symptoms, until the onset of DKA. l so started insulin from the morning of diagnosis . I didn't realise how bad I had been feeling/looking until I felt better! )