Diagnosis UPDATE

essexgary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All

Went back to see another Doctor and found out that I have Type 2 Diabetes and that my HBA1C is 70 so they will 99.9% be putting me on Metformin when I see the Diabetic Nurse tomorrow evening.

Took me a back a fair bit. Expected the type 2 but not the medication.

Have been given a test kit for free direct from the makers which is good, and I have purchased a couple of boxes of test strips and a box of lancets. Prob wrong thing to do as my HBA1C is so high they will prob prescribe a machine and strips. Not sure if they will or not though at this stage (if they do should I get them to keep the machine and prescribe me the strips for the machine ive been given??).

BIG LEARNING CURVE AHEAD.......... Finger's crossed they will let me try to get my HBA1C down with diet first... But I think they will put on meds straight away.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi and welcome @essexgary If you have been given the means to test your bloods you are considerably more lucky than most of us on here, we mostly have to buy our own. You are correct in thinking that whatever happens with the DN you are on a sharp learning curve but by keeping a simple spreadsheet with your test results, the food you have eaten and the activity you have undertaken patterns soon begin to emerge. You will learn what foods you should avoid to keep your blood glucose levels down, and it can be done, the success stories on here are inspiring. It is not easy with Christmas coming up, but we are an accepting group and the important thing is not that you fell off but that you get back up again and carry on. Remember that the changes that you make have to be for life. The advice of @daisy1 is good. Good luck

Reactions: Liam1955

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All

Went back to see another Doctor and found out that I have Type 2 Diabetes and that my HBA1C is 70 so they will 99.9% be putting me on Metformin when I see the Diabetic Nurse tomorrow evening.

Took me a back a fair bit. Expected the type 2 but not the medication.

Have been given a test kit for free direct from the makers which is good, and I have purchased a couple of boxes of test strips and a box of lancets. Prob wrong thing to do as my HBA1C is so high they will prob prescribe a machine and strips. Not sure if they will or not though at this stage (if they do should I get them to keep the machine and prescribe me the strips for the machine ive been given??).

BIG LEARNING CURVE AHEAD.......... Finger's crossed they will let me try to get my HBA1C down with diet first... But I think they will put on meds straight away.

No doctor can " force" you to take medications. I refused the med until I had spent three months doing the low carb thing first. I started with an hba1C of 92 its around 40-45 now ( 5 months on) I think that if possible its best to try the diet first and see how far that gets you, then you know to what extent any additional meds help further if you do them both together you end up sticking with the medications simply because it feels like you need them but actually they might not be doing much compared to the diet anyway.

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The recommended initial course of treatment is still 'control by diet only' - however, they may have considered that you need some extra help, based on your previous experience of losing weight but largely regaining it. There is no reason why though if you are determined enough you cannot do this - although don't see the likes of Metformin as some kind of an initial defeat as in itself it is only an aid. It is your choice. The mistake would be Metformin and carrying on with your past diet, which unfortunately is what many people (not you) seem to end up doing.

70 mmol/mol is not exceptionally high on initial diagnosis - many will be in excess of 100. Change in diet can bring this quite substantially.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another thing, you may find you need so many test strips initially that the cost of buying them is exorbitant. If you were given a meter free then that was to entice you to buy their strips, probably expensive. Many of here use the Codefree meter because it has the cheapest test strips going, and it is a good basic meter. See how you go, but don't be afraid to change your meter if you find it getting too expensive.

Reactions: Jogreen21

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Don't worry about the Metformin as it's a very safe drug. It doesn't have a big effect so the right diet remains just as important. The only real side effect can be bowel issues which normally clear within a couple of weeks but if not there is a Slow Release (SR) version which normally solves it. Test strips can be cheaper on the web (note no VAT payable) although the SD Codefree meter may be a more cost effective solution overall.

Reactions: Liam1955

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My HbA1c was 95 at diagnosis and I have managed without meds. It is often possible if you are willing and able to make the lifestyle changes needed, Daisy's post will give low carb info and using a meter should help you with what foods you can tolerate. Although I had been given a meter and test strips on prescription when I had got control I was told I only needed to test a couple of times a week. The strips were so expensive to buy that I bought the sdcodefree as their strips are so much cheaper and I want to keep control.