Did something silly how much will I suffer for it ?

fendertele

I've been LCHF for almost a year and generally sit at 5.1 to 5.6 pre meal and usually highest i've hit is around 7.1 after meals.

Today was tired after a long night shift and had nothing in the fridge/freezer as shopping tonight and was very hungry decided to experiment based on a post I found by another type 2 that had a full McD's meal and never spiked within 1/2 or 5 hours.

They had a burger/fries/milkshake etc the works... I thought i'd just try two triple cheeseburgers this way it's high fat and only got two buns each with plenty of meat and cheese in between.

Just tested roughly an hour after eating and I was at 9.9 :arghh:

What damage has this caused ? I went from 5.1 to 9.9 within about an 1/2 hours :(

Im heading to the gym tonight so hopefully I can burn use it for energy but it scared me seeing it that high as i'ts never went above 7 in about a year.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What damage has this caused ? I went from 5.1 to 9.9 within about an 1/2 hours :(
Likely none, as you're usually seeing very nice numbers.
It's not the one-off that causes damage, it's endless one-offs resulting in going around with high bg's a lot of the time which causes damage.

In your case, I'd just look at it as an experiment showing you your body doesn't cope too well with two triple cheeseburgers in one go.
Next time you could try three triple cheeseburgers without the bun to see if that goes better. If it works, you'll know you can still use MacD's in situations like this! :)

fendertele

Likely none, as you're usually seeing very nice numbers.
It's not the one-off that causes damage, it's endless one-offs resulting in going around with high bg's a lot of the time which causes damage.

In your case, I'd just look at it as an experiment showing you your body doesn't cope too well with two triple cheeseburgers in one go.
Next time you could try three triple cheeseburgers without the bun to see if that goes better. If it works, you'll know you can still use MacD's in situations like this! :)

Thanks was soo silly but after reading that post about how much they ate and because they had maintained such good levels for a year or more it made me think I could replicate... didnt even enjoy it half as much as I believed i would also :)

Edit: further testing and hour later i'm back down to 6.0. Crazy one hour spike and quickly back down to 6.0 ?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Edit: further testing and hour later i'm back down to 6.0. Crazy one hour spike and quickly back down to 6.0 ?
Looks like your body is doing a very good job!
I wouldn't expect such a quick spike and drop from the combination of carbs and fats, this tends to cause a slow rise and staying on the higher side for a long time. (Which might still happen.)
I'm starting to doubt that coke zero now, which if it was regular coke would spike sharp but short, unlike a fatty burger on a bun.

fendertele

Looks like your body is doing a very good job!
I wouldn't expect such a quick spike and drop from the combination of carbs and fats, this tends to cause a slow rise and staying on the higher side for a long time. (Which might still happen.)
I'm starting to doubt that coke zero now, which if it was regular coke would spike sharp but short, unlike a fatty burger on a bun.

I'm glad this was your thinking also, It was a delivery meal and I know if they are rushed off their feet unless you state in the notes diabetic they may just mis-read in a rush and serve a normal coke as I couldn't believe when I saw 9.9 as I have been able to eat regular ice cream with choc flakes (vienetta) without too much of a rise then again McD's is packed with sugar.

I'll probably attempt just the one triple on its own in the future and without a coke order just to be sure it was the burger and not the wrong coke.. thanks :)

Reactions: Antje77