Diet Advice.

suffolkboi61

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Marzipan ewwwwwwwwww
Well, have read all here and will freely admit to being totally and utterly confused :oops:

Carbs this and carbs that, good/bad/maybe?

I am a laymans terms kinda man and need to be told in laymans terms :shock:, most here say that we have to use trial and error in finding the best diet for each individual. I agree but starting is the hard part not knowing initially what is good and not.

Example......

I am 48, 6ft and weigh 16 stone. I want to get down to my old Army weight of 12/13 stone, I have already lost 2 stone because I developed T2 and did not know, dr and nurse say I could of had T2 for up to 18 months and did not realise.

Now, maybe if someone could leave a reply here on what they consume in a day to give us a rough idea of what to start of with, would be of great value.

One tells me to eat porridge, another says no thats not good for you. one says eat high carbs another say no eat low. and now as linda says in gimmie gimmie gimmie, "my brain hurts" :roll:

I have sat here for the last three days reading everything I can about what to eat and what not to eat, and am still baffled at what to eat, so have had salads each day,

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Diet Advice

suffolkboi61 said:
Well, have read all here and will freely admit to being totally and utterly confused :oops:
Join the Club ! We were all like that when we first became Diabetic and even more so after coming here and reading the conflicting information. However, it is down to YOU, my diet wouldn't suit YOU I am sure.

I am 48, 6ft and weigh 16 stone. I want to get down to my old Army weight of 12/13 stone, I have already lost 2 stone because I developed T2 and did not know, dr and nurse say I could of had T2 for up to 18 months and did not realise.

OK, so we know you want to lose weight, Therefore reducing carbohydrates can help. You might want to consider either a full blown low carbohydrate diet, OR something which reduces your carbohydrates and also reduces your portion sizes. Like me you I believe want to avoid fats, so you need to be careful.

Now, maybe if someone could leave a reply here on what they consume in a day to give us a rough idea of what to start of with, would be of great value.

Sorry, doesn't work like that. We are ALL different in the way that our blood glucose levels react to different foods. It would be far better for YOU to post a typical days foods on here or even your favourite foods, that way we can tell you if they might be bad for you. However, the only way to know that is for YOU to test, in the morning on rising, before meals and 2 hrs after meals. That together with a food diary will tell YOU what foods are good or bad for YOU.

One tells me to eat porridge, another says no thats not good for you. one says eat high carbs another say no eat low. and now as linda says in gimmie gimmie gimmie, "my brain hurts" :roll:

Do you need some Aspirin ! :D As stated it is confusing, what works for one person does not always work for someone else. I can eat Porridge, a friend also Diabetic cannot touch the stuff !

I have sat here for the last three days reading everything I can about what to eat and what not to eat, and am still baffled at what to eat, so have had salads each day,
Well, that's a good start then, especially if you want to lose weight. Once YOU have worked out what foods are bad for YOU then you will have answered some of your questions. This is where the work starts, for YOU. Same as we all did. :wink:

suffolkboi61

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Marzipan ewwwwwwwwww
Diet Advice

Truthfully, before T2 set in it would be all kinds of foods, as I eat Anything bar marzipan, (cant stand it)
If I stay at home a normal days food would be, no breakfast and nothing to eat till around noon. Then it would be something like a chicken or ham sandwhich, then at around 3/3.30pm it would be a dinner of say sausages, mash,beans and fried eggs.
Then supper would be anything from another sandwhich to a take away.
many many times I ate when I was not even hungry, I got a notion for something and had to go and make it.
Admittedly I had way to many take aways, in the last 6/7 months, now I make my son and daughter their meals and something seperate for myself.
But as you say I am going to have to start making a note of morning tests and 2hrs later and go from there.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Diet Advice

Suggest you do start having something for breakfast. This is because your body wants energy in the morning and your liver' dumps' glucose into the system which makes your blood sugars rise.

Truthfully, before T2 set in it would be all kinds of foods, as I eat Anything bar marzipan, (cant stand it)
If I stay at home a normal days food would be, no breakfast and nothing to eat till around noon. Then it would be something like a chicken or ham sandwich, then at around 3/3.30pm it would be a dinner of say sausages, mash,beans and fried eggs.
Then supper would be anything from another sandwich to a take away.
many many times I ate when I was not even hungry, I got a notion for something and had to go and make it.
Admittedly I had way to many take aways, in the last 6/7 months, now I make my son and daughter their meals and something separate for myself.
But as you say I am going to have to start making a note of morning tests and 2hrs later and go from there.

The things highlighted in red are high in carbs.These are the things you need to reduce portions or even cut out altogether. Test before and two hours after these things and see how they affect your blood sugars.

suffolkboi61

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Marzipan ewwwwwwwwww
Diet Advice

Ok have been thinking about a possible diet and have come up with this one, it is Monday's diet, I have done a whole weeks but was to big and would have taken up to much room in a thread.
Please take a peek and correct anything you deem not good.
Thanks
Monday

Breakfast:
Bowl of porridge made with semi skimmed milk or 2 slices of wholemeal toast
Mid morning snack:
A banana
Lunch:
Granary bread sandwich with ham, tomato and lettuce. Fresh fruit salad
Afternoon snack:
One low fat yoghurt or some berries
Dinner:
Grilled chicken breast with vegetables and new potatoes.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Diet Advice

Breakfast:
Mid morning snack:
A banana
Lunch:
Granary bread sandwich with ham, tomato and lettuce. Fresh fruit salad
Afternoon snack:
Dinner:

Hi.
We are glad you didn't post a whole weeks menu....we really cannot look at all your daily menu's and give opinions, it has to be down to you. Sorry. There are many things in your menu which I personally couldn't handle....too many carbs.

What YOU have to do is test before each meal, then test again after 2 hrs. Using your food diary YOU can then see what certain foods do to your Bg levels. You have been previously told about the things that you MAY need to avoid. Look at that list and see just what you have in here that is on that list of foods to avoid or reduce. One not on the list is Banana's. Very high in carbs and not an ideal snack.

Follow the testing and food diary for at least a week and check your results. Then YOU will see what YOU have to cut out or reduce from your diet. If you have any specific questions that we may be able to clear up, please ask and we will do our best to help you.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Diet Advice

suffolkboi61 said:
Breakfast:
Mid morning snack:
A banana
Lunch:
Granary bread sandwich with ham, tomato and lettuce. Fresh fruit salad, depends on the ingredients. Some very high carbs
Afternoon snack:
Dinner:

OK, I now have a little spare time and will tell you what MAY not be good choices, only you will be able to find out if that is true or not. Look at the foods highlighted in Red.
This is a one off, we are not going to do this every day....... :wink: :D

suffolkboi61

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Marzipan ewwwwwwwwww
Diet Advice

Thanks cugila, now for tomorrows menu... :shock:

Starting today. I had 3 slices grilled lean bacon with 1 tomato grilled and 2 poached eggs.
Reading 2 hours later was 7.1.
Am quite pleased with this as since being diagosed in November with T2 my readings were always 25+ and have been fighting hard to get them down by taking (nurses orders) 3 metformin 500Mg tablets a day plus Gliclazide 80Mg.

My normal salad consists of lettace,tomato,cucumber,spring onions and celery.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Diet Advice

Hi.

You had me worried for a minute...... :D
All sounds good to me. It is surprising how quickly just small changes will affect your Bg levels. Good to hear that things are looking up.

Just do the same with all your other meals using the criteria we set out for you and you should find each meal will then give you better results. If you get a glitch, just ask if we can tell you what may be the culprit.

Salad sounds good, what about that fruit salad though. What's in that ? Is it pre packed ?

suffolkboi61

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Marzipan ewwwwwwwwww
Diet Advice

Fruit salad is usually a mixture of apple,grape,kiwi,mango and sometimes a few raisins or saltana's

Apple approx 21 carbs

Grapes 75gm 11.6 gm carbs

Kiwi –one fruit- 10.6 gm carbs

Mango – one medium- 16 gm carbs

Raisins 25gm 17.3 gm carbs

Sultanas25gm 17.3 gm carbs

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Diet Advice

Have you tried a fruit salad with berries such as blueberries, raspberries, strawberries etc, I also add almonds as well( good for the cholesterol levels). Slightly less carbs than some of the ones you mention.The portion size is important as well.

Try testing after a fruit salad to see what effect the salad has on your bg levels.