Diet Doctor Low Carb Challenge

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really despair as there is no logic to this. Yesterday was not a good day - lowest I got was 7.2 but mostly I was at 8. As I said I have another cold. It turned bitter up here and I had to get my heavy coat out again. Thing is it isn't a bad cold.
I've had a few stressors over the past few days. Father in law was admitted to hospital with sepsis. Thankfully he is through the worst and sitting up asking for tea and toast now! Grandsons are acting up (mostly just being boys) but it gets them into all sorts of bother and I know It's stressful when I actually dread picking them up wondering what has happened today. I've put the lid on that one by saying speak to Mum and Dad as I've reached the end of my tether as it is having too much effect on my BG (plus I don't think it is major bad behaviour). If the Scottish Government would concentrate their efforts on education as they claim maybe we'd get on a lot better without pleading with parents to come in and assist with the teaching. Brother is away on holiday so my worries about his dizzy turns due to medication are out of the way plus they gave him a blood transfusion before he went which made him feel quite normal last time.
This morning was quite calm, didn't have to rush with the boys and both in a good mood. I'd gone to bed on 7.7 and got up to 7.5 so that was good too. Got back , made breakfast and I'd hit 10.3!!! Why??? 30 mins post breakfast was still 10.3 - still calm but quite frustrated.
I think you have a point @Brunneria - a sensor would let me identify when these rises are starting and see if I can match it to a reason.
OK we are on descent now. Was not overjoyed with 10.3 so done a fair bit testing.
Pre breakfast 10.3. 35 mins after breakfast 10. 3 so I know breakfast didn't put it up any more in the short term. Another 35 mins on 9.4 . 30 mins after that 7.9 so a fair drop coming up to 90 mins.
Would a Libre let me see these changes if I kept zapping? Million $ question though - would it help as I can't fathom out what caused that rise ? Does the removal of stressors cause a short term rise in BG?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@maglil55

I know how frustrating that is *big hug* its what happened to me until I started having a proper breakfast as soon as possible it after getting up - the plan is get up at 7, breakfast at 7.10. Have you thought about having your breakfast earlier? Or at least having a largish snack? Having something seems to sort of stop the rise before it actually gets going. It used to be that my DP would carry on rising until about noon but now it has gone down on the two hours after breakfast test - or at east stayed the same. The down side is that it gets in the mid 4s in the two hours before dinner so I end up eating a few (frozen) cherries to get it up a bit.

I've just got back from the DN for my annual review - my HbA1C was 28 (which is 4.9 in old money) and for a lot of the time covered by the HbA1C my BG tests were in the 6s and 7s. Sadly my cholesterol has gone up and there was muttering about statins but I was very firm that I don't want them.

Bit of a weird one - while I was in with the DN her screen started flashing red and an alarm went off. Turned out a doctor was in urgent need of assistance because the patient he was seeing actually ATTACKED him. It was my registered doctor (the one I can't stand) - seems like someone else feels the same.

Reactions: Ultramum

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
OK we are on descent now. Was not overjoyed with 10.3 so done a fair bit testing.
Pre breakfast 10.3. 35 mins after breakfast 10. 3 so I know breakfast didn't put it up any more in the short term. Another 35 mins on 9.4 . 30 mins after that 7.9 so a fair drop coming up to 90 mins.
Would a Libre let me see these changes if I kept zapping? Million $ question though - would it help as I can't fathom out what caused that rise ? Does the removal of stressors cause a short term rise in BG?

I can't help you with a lot of those questions but, for me, the removal of stressors causes a drop in BG. When I'm stressed it goes up... and up.

If you want to bring it down a bit faster then a pint of water and a walk (or some other cardio exercise) will help.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55

I know how frustrating that is *big hug* its what happened to me until I started having a proper breakfast as soon as possible it after getting up - the plan is get up at 7, breakfast at 7.10. Have you thought about having your breakfast earlier? Or at least having a largish snack? Having something seems to sort of stop the rise before it actually gets going. It used to be that my DP would carry on rising until about noon but now it has gone down on the two hours after breakfast test - or at east stayed the same. The down side is that it gets in the mid 4s in the two hours before dinner so I end up eating a few (frozen) cherries to get it up a bit.

I've just got back from the DN for my annual review - my HbA1C was 28 (which is 4.9 in old money) and for a lot of the time covered by the HbA1C my BG tests were in the 6s and 7s. Sadly my cholesterol has gone up and there was muttering about statins but I was very firm that I don't want them.

Bit of a weird one - while I was in with the DN her screen started flashing red and an alarm went off. Turned out a doctor was in urgent need of assistance because the patient he was seeing actually ATTACKED him. It was my registered doctor (the one I can't stand) - seems like someone else feels the same.
That brought a smile to my face. Great figures by the way xxx

I mentioned my father in law was in hospital. He was delirious at first with the infection and slapped the nurse that was trying to do an ultrasound. He's quite horrified now he is lucid again. I often wonder is it not sensible to sedate a bit in these circumstances.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@maglil55. According to the DN this person who attacked had been restrained and the police called. Maybe after this my doctor will reconsider the way he talks to patients. He can be so abrupt - to the point of rudeness. I have had whole appointments when he's just glanced at me (never says hello) then spent the rest of the time tap tapping on his computer.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@maglil55. According to the DN this person who attacked had been restrained and the police called. Maybe after this my doctor will reconsider the way he talks to patients. He can be so abrupt - to the point of rudeness. I have had whole appointments when he's just glanced at me (never says hello) then spent the rest of the time tap tapping on his computer.

It's a very sad day for the NHS when people support attacks and violence on HCP's.
If you don't like him, change doctors.
Unless there is very mitigating circumstances, at least that's one patient that with not be on any surgeries books again, hopefully after a spell in jail.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm not supporting the attack, I'm just not surprised by it. I would never support violence or bullying in any form.

Reactions: maglil55

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm not supporting the attack, I'm just not surprised by it. I would never support violence or bullying in any form.

'the patient he was seeing actually ATTACKED him. It was my registered doctor (the one I can't stand) - seems like someone else feels the same.'

Not a very clear condemnation.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suggested to my sister that she change her GP as she is totally lacking in empathy. As you are aware my previous career was all about pensions and all sorts of benefits. I suggested to my sister that we apply for Attendance Allowance for her (this is the sibling that has had major surgery for colon cancer but is undergoing treatment for secondary liver cancer) as her husband is disabled and she is /was his main carer.
She mentioned it to her GP just in case the DWP happened to get in touch for medical information and was told abruptly 'that's a total waste of time , you'll get nothing , unless the hospital tells you you have less than 6 months then at least you can tell them you are terminal' and yes that is exactly what she said. She delighted in telling her later that not only did the hospital not tell her she was terminal (she's in the incurable but treatable category) she was awarded the top rate of Attendance Allowance. This is the same GP who managed to miss the colon cancer for 6 months putting it down to an 'infection somewhere' and prescribing more and more antibiotic. There are times I question choice of career and suitability.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Guys - This is hardly on topic. Please get back on topic.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today I did a variation - still very Diet Doctor but not one of their recipes. A stir fry with wild Alaskan salmon, mixed stir fry veg of red onion, broccoli, spring onion, carrot ribbons, shredded cabbage and bean sprouts. Cauliflower rice with chilli, ginger and coriander and a sauce of Thai red curry paste and coconut cream . In true DD fashion I cooked enough for tomorrow . Still to work out nutritional details but it was tasty.
Oh and I got down to 6 which was better than yesterday. Still can't fathom out what happened this morning though.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today I did a variation - still very Diet Doctor but not one of their recipes. A stir fry with wild Alaskan salmon, mixed stir fry veg of red onion, broccoli, spring onion, carrot ribbons, shredded cabbage and bean sprouts. Cauliflower rice with chilli, ginger and coriander and a sauce of Thai red curry paste and coconut cream . In true DD fashion I cooked enough for tomorrow . Still to work out nutritional details but it was tasty.
Oh and I got down to 6 which was better than yesterday. Still can't fathom out what happened this morning though.
Carbs 11g fat 33g protein 43g calories 536.
Only had 3g carbs the rest of today so well worth it - and the salmon was a beautiful colour.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@maglil55. That stir fry sounds lovely. I've not tried Thai red curry paste, only a green one. Is it chillies or tomato (or something else) that makes the red one red?

I'm sorry to hear about the way your sister was treated. I think some individuals without 'people skills' go in to the highly paid medical profession just for the money or to please their families.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55. That stir fry sounds lovely. I've not tried Thai red curry paste, only a green one. Is it chillies or tomato (or something else) that makes the red one red?

I'm sorry to hear about the way your sister was treated. I think some individuals without 'people skills' go in to the highly paid medical profession just for the money or to please their families.
It's the paprika that makes it red. There are red chillies in it but paprika gives it the colour. Love red curry with fish.

Reactions: Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It's the paprika that makes it red. There are red chillies in it but paprika gives it the colour. Love red curry with fish.
I'll be brave and give it a try. I love food that is flavourful spicy and a little bit hot but I don't like food that is just chilli HOT (if you know what I mean). I am always wary about anything that is red - I have had some bad experiences.

Which brand do you use - or do you make your own?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You have to watch the brand names as some can have a lot of carbs. Amoy isn't too bad but my brother brings my paste back from Thailand. Red curry for me has enough to make your mouth tingle but it is the taste with the coconut cream that gets me. It goes with a few things but the flavour with fish. Yum! Just had the leftover stir fry from yesterday and I can still taste it. It is very easy to make
Couple of teaspoons of cumin weedsthe
Couple of teaspoons coriander seeds
Grind these to a powder. I use a mini processor some people prefer a mortar and pestle.

3 Or 4 birds eye red chilli chopped (vary according to your taste)
3 lemon grass stalks chopped
1 tablespoon paprika (I use hot smoked but you may prefer sweet paprika)
About 3 Or 4 cm of galangal or ginger (I use ginger) grated
5 or 6 kaffir lime leaves or you can use them finely grated zest of a fresh lime
Couple of chopped shàllots
About 5 chopped garlic cloves
Stalks of a bunch of coriander roughly chopped
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons oil (I just use olive oil but sunflower is fine too)
Basically dump this lot in a food processor with the powdered cumin and coriander and whizz it up until you get a paste. This freezes well and keeps for about 2 months in the freezer without losing its flavour. You don't need a lot of the paste and the coconut cream cools it and gives it that lovely pinky/red colour.
Sorry I can't be more precise with the quantities but this is one of these things that depends on your taste and I tend to make it by sight and a quick teeny tiny taste every so often. Tell Mr Chook a pair of latex gloves are a good idea when chopping for the processor. Rough chopping is fine. The gloves save any accidents if you forget what you were handling and rub your eye! (So long as you remember to take the gloves off again)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You have to watch the brand names as some can have a lot of carbs. Amoy isn't too bad but my brother brings my paste back from Thailand. Red curry for me has enough to make your mouth tingle but it is the taste with the coconut cream that gets me. It goes with a few things but the flavour with fish. Yum! Just had the leftover stir fry from yesterday and I can still taste it. It is very easy to make
Grind these to a powder. I use a mini processor some people prefer a mortar and pestle.

5 or 6 kaffir lime leaves or you can use them finely grated zest of a fresh lime
2 tablespoons fish sauce
Basically dump this lot in a food processor with the powdered cumin and coriander and whizz it up until you get a paste. This freezes well and keeps for about 2 months in the freezer without losing its flavour. You don't need a lot of the paste and the coconut cream cools it and gives it that lovely pinky/red colour.
Sorry I can't be more precise with the quantities but this is one of these things that depends on your taste and I tend to make it by sight and a quick teeny tiny taste every so often. Tell Mr Chook a pair of latex gloves are a good idea when chopping for the processor. Rough chopping is fine. The gloves save any accidents if you forget what you were handling and rub your eye! (So long as you remember to take the gloves off again)
Cumin seeds not weeds

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

2 tablespoons fish sauce

I'll print that off for him. Thank you :)

I've got a load of cod in the freezer that needs eating...

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I was furious for her. Although I've said a few times she should change her doctor it isn't that easy. The problem is finding another decent surgery nearby. Thankfully she deals mostly with the hospital and the staff there are amazing.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Same here, there is only one other doctors' surgery and they are full.