Diet Doctor Low Carb Challenge

pms543

Carb flu, If that's what it was, seems to have settled, for now lol it was def horrid

Do any of you measure your ketones?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Carb flu, If that's what it was, seems to have settled, for now lol it was def horrid

Occasionally, but only if my BG goes really low unexpectedly. Mostly it's just in the normal range - although I will be testing it more now I'm zero carbing.

pms543

Occasionally, but only if my BG goes really low unexpectedly. Mostly it's just in the normal range - although I will be testing it more now I'm zero carbing.

O interesting, zero carbing?whats your plan?

My bgs are sitting well in single figures now and my DN is pleased but wants an eye keeping on them....obv goes too low I need less Meds

DD Meals are delicious and am learning to apply the principles of DD if not having one of their meals, a lot of which is cooking from scratch so bit longer needed in the kitchen .

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I Don't. I've never quite made up my mind the best way to do it.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

My bgs are sitting well in single figures now and my DN is pleased but wants an eye keeping on them....obv goes too low I need less Meds

DD Meals are delicious and am learning to apply the principles of DD if not having one of their meals, a lot of which is cooking from scratch so bit longer needed in the kitchen .
I agree you soon get into the Diet Doctor way. I've just had my prawn and 4 Scallop Thai red curry which is not a DD recipe but it very DD and I have another portion for tomorrow.

@Chook has gone mad and is eating frozen raw burgers......

Just joking but if you Google Zero carb there are some strange Zero carbers. Chook is a bit more "as close to zero carb as I can get" which thankfully is quite normal. I think I could live with zero net carbs.

Reactions: Ultramum

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

I'm posting about my Zero Carb experiment here -> http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/zero-carb.122996/
I agree you soon get into the Diet Doctor way. I've just had my prawn and 4 Scallop Thai red curry which is not a DD recipe but it very DD and I have another portion for tomorrow.

@Chook has gone mad and is eating frozen raw burgers......

Just joking but if you Google Zero carb there are some strange Zero carbers. Chook is a bit more "as close to zero carb as I can get" which thankfully is quite normal. I think I could live with zero net carbs.

Cheeky!!

I have done - I got some ketostix from eBay to do it (to dip in urine) and, mostly, they've been just slightly pink but I did have one exciting episode on Christmas Day 2015 when my BG dropped to the low 3s so I tested for keytones and it turned a deep burgundy colour. Very worrying. It sorted itself out thankfully and I have absolutely no idea what caused it unless it was eating (very good) chocolate for breakfast

Reactions: pms543

pms543

Thanks Chook, interesting indeed...

Yesterday has been rubbed out of my book lol - had a planned procedure at the hosp , only to be told when booking in, 20 minutes later, following questionnaire and weigh in/ blood pressure etc that my BMI was too high to go ahead :wideyed: to say I flipped, would be an understatement...so, looking online at figures, I need to drop a good 4 stones ( in old money ) then..until then, my pain continues I guess....

So, back on DD today and onwards, I am losing weight so something is going right...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Chook, interesting indeed...

Yesterday has been rubbed out of my book lol - had a planned procedure at the hosp , only to be told when booking in, 20 minutes later, following questionnaire and weigh in/ blood pressure etc that my BMI was too high to go ahead :wideyed: to say I flipped, would be an understatement...so, looking online at figures, I need to drop a good 4 stones ( in old money ) then..until then, my pain continues I guess....

So, back on DD today and onwards, I am losing weight so something is going right...
Oh no! I am very sorry.
Especially that you have been left in pain.

That must be very frustrating (understatement!)

Have you suggested that they start making the BMI decision earlier, in future, to prevent wasting their own time, effort and resources? And to limit the patient's bitter disappointment.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm sorry, too. How stupid of them to put you (and their overstretched staff) through all that. They should make this criteria clear to GPs before patients are referred.

In the meantime you must be feeling very disappointed and let down. *Big hug coming your way*

pms543

Thank you for the hugs everyone, much appreciated.
At the time of being told, my head was west so Yes I let this poor nurse know how very upset I was indeed and the fact I had a 40 minute wait in the waiting room and then a 15 minute chat filling it forms / questionnaire BEFORE weight was done - so they def knew I was unhappy & add to that the fact he said you will be referred back to the GP to refer you back to us once your BMI hits 30 or under...My GP will get a call in the morning from me and hopefully this can be resolved. There is NO sedation, or General anaesthetic involved so cant understand their reasoning - but like you said, understaffed, overworked and lets get the list down if we can by hook or crook...
I did tell the nurse Brunneria how silly of them not to look at bmi before even sending out appointments especial as the consultant didn't even say anything at my appointment

Well, had a back track yesterday and fri night so back on the DD wagon today. Going to do week 3 of the Keto plan....

Last edited:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Although I have been a member here for some time I still do not know what the Diet Doctor challenge is what are the goals to achieve. Is it meant to be a sort of crash diet for weight loss or is it just to lower BG. I do hear the recipes are good but are they high fat. I worry about trying them as I can't afford to loose any more weight.. I am an older person and I do think that for many of us as we age we have smaller appetites and find rich fatty food does not agree with us like it used to so high fat is not an option

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Although I have been a member here for some time I still do not know what the Diet Doctor challenge is what are the goals to achieve. Is it meant to be a sort of crash diet for weight loss or is it just to lower BG. I do hear the recipes are good but are they high fat. I worry about trying them as I can't afford to loose any more weight.. I am an older person and I do think that for many of us as we age we have smaller appetites and find rich fatty food does not agree with us like it used to so high fat is not an option

Have a look at the start of the thread - there is a link about a dozen posts in

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm planning to have a go at the curried chicken pie next weekend - looks good on paper

Been so busy with work I have had very little time to do any new recipes or to catch up on here - given myself the afternoon off!

Reactions: maglil55 and pms543

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It certainly is not a crash diet. It's a way of eating. There are various diet doctor meal plans depending on what you are trying to achieve. This thread is mainly based on the very low carb (20g or less per day) or ketogenic meal plans and yes they are high fat but I adjust the fats as there was too much fat for me. They also have moderate carb meals, dairy free, vegetarian.....as I said depends what you are after. Main aim for me was to lower BG which it did. Also wanted to lose weight which is still slow going. What I will say is the recipes are delicious and I have never felt hungry. The VLC suits me as a way of eating.

Reactions: Ultramum

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
RE Oomi noodles - can they be frozen once heated?
Never been in that situation. I've frozen a couple of packets when first bought and they were fine. Otherwise when heating it was to eat them straight away. Based on the size of the portion I can't see the situation where you would want to freeze after heating.

pms543

Maglil, I asked the company on FB who said no they shouldn't be frozen. I know the portion only small but just asked lol with no situation in mind :)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maglil, I asked the company on FB who said no they shouldn't be frozen. I know the portion only small but just asked lol with no situation in mind :)
I didn't find a problem with them frozen. Mind they tend to have reasonably long use by dates.

Reactions: pms543

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Chicken curry pie is in the oven as I type - smells good. There has got to be a better pastry recipe out there ... Imagine having to squidgy a jar of peanut butter into a pastry shape in a 9" pan ...

Will report fuller once eaten! https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/low-carb-chicken-curry-pie

Well - kitchen looks like a bomb site - the pastry was ok but very 'peanut buttery' in consistency. Not sure I fancy making it again to be honest.

I had to yank it out of the oven during its first bake as it had a huge air bubble under it (I've now written on recipe to prick it all over like the fathead pizza base next time)

Wasn't sure that I wasn't going to have a soggy bottom but it came out of the springform tin and off the base in one piece. Wouldn't do it in anything other than a springform tin as the pastry was very crumbly.

Tasted alright but not very 'curry' so would increase the amount of curry powder and add a bit of cumin and coriander as well. The pastry was a bit coconutty so would perhaps swap the coconut flour out for almond flour. I also used half coconut oil and half olive oil so that could be altered too.

Very very filling - could have easily served 6 rather than four.

Taste and eating 8/10
Pastry and faffing 3/10
Filling assembly 9/10