Diet help

Mkhatter76

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I have recently been told I am prediabetic and have to change my diet.
I will admit I have a diet coke addiction and do drink about 2 litres a day.
I would like to know what foods should I avoid and what foods would help reduce my blood sugar?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I would like to know what foods should I avoid and what foods would help reduce my blood sugar?
https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <-- that should get you up to speed on food.

As for diet coke, that can actually drive your blood sugars up, even with artificial sweeteners rather than sugar. Funny thing, for some people, not all mind you, the pancreas releases insulin the moment they taste something sweet. But then there's insulin and no actual sugar, and it has nothing to do, so to avoid going too low, the liver releases glucose. And if you're (pre-) diabetic, you don't deal with that glucose too well, if that is the case. Hello, sugar spike. You could check whether that is something that happens for you, if you get yourself a meter and test what your blood sugars do when you drink a DC. Also, the sweeteners are toxic to gut bacteria in such large quantities, and you do kind of need those. (Found that out the hard way, because I was right with you when it came to gulping the stuff down when I was just diagnosed.). So maybe cut down on the coke some, and the carbs, and you could well be back into the normal range in absolutely no time flat, really. We hear of prediabetics here more and more often, and I am so glad... Used to be, no-one told you your blood sugars were off until you were diabetic and the drugs to control it would come into play, and now people often seem to get a head's up and time to slam on the breaks, avoid symptoms and complications.... I do think we may be seeing progress here. So, congratulations on being prediabetic and therefore likely to be able to get this sorted quick, and on being assertive with this... You're going to be fine! :)
Jo

Mkhatter76

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your reply.
I'm already adjusting my diet. I've decided to buy cans instead of big bottles and limit myself to 2 a day. I'm looking at starting a low carb diet introducing more fruit & veg which I very rarely eat. I'm hoping to reduce my blood sugar which is currently at 6.3 within 2 weeks that's when my next blood test is.

MrPeaky

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your reply.
I'm already adjusting my diet. I've decided to buy cans instead of big bottles and limit myself to 2 a day. I'm looking at starting a low carb diet introducing more fruit & veg which I very rarely eat. I'm hoping to reduce my blood sugar which is currently at 6.3 within 2 weeks that's when my next blood test is.

You say your BS is 6.3, is that you HbA1c value, or just a finger prick check you did?

Low carb diet is a good starting place, but remember you still need energy, so remove the carbs but replace the lost Cals with high Fat foods (nuts, meats etc) body still needs a solid fuel source.

Have you heart of High Fat Low Carb diets?

Mkhatter76

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a blood test a week ago & that's what the doctor told yesterday at my appointment. She used the term "prediabetic " and told Mr to change my diet, exercise more and lose weight.

MrPeaky

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a blood test a week ago & that's what the doctor told yesterday at my appointment. She used the term "prediabetic " and told Mr to change my diet, exercise more and lose weight.

Reading between the lines, 6.3 would suggest you did a fasted blood test.

The normal range would be 5.6 and lower on a fasted, but that depends on so many factors.

Have they told you your HbA1c value?

The advice of; change my diet, exercise more and lose weight.

Is good advice but it's very broad, and what works for one person does not for another.

I would be asking my doctor to run a full set of bloods for a full picture and then making a decent plan on those results.

For now monitor your bloods and try to keep your readings as close to 7.8 or lower two hours after food as a guide and with a jump of less than 2.0

Mkhatter76

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your reply.
I have a repeat blood test in 2 weeks. So I'm aiming to change my diet and see what the results are then. Will definitely be speaking to the doctor in more depth then.

Reactions: Paul_

MrPeaky

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your reply.
I have a repeat blood test in 2 weeks. So I'm aiming to change my diet and see what the results are then. Will definitely be speaking to the doctor in more depth then.
Scan the forum; ask all the questions.

Then take everything you have learnt with you and ask the Doc the questions rather than them asking you.
You will find a proactive approach and taking ownership will (not every time) but a lot of time will get you Doc to engage more than the usual, your blood tests were this, take these pills etc.

Recretia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
If you’re pre diabetic there’s lots you can do to reverse this. Assume your dr has given you guidance. If you’re over weight lose weight, exercise more, cut down carbs and sugar, no processed food, limited takeaways, no or at least limit cakes/biscuits/snacks such as these, smaller meals, good rest and sleep, cut back alcohol if you drink. Hopefully you will be given this kind of advice at your Drs. Must stop drinking fizzy drinks, especially come, drink water. Low carb good. Replace with cheese, nuts, full fat Greek yoghurt not flavoured, seeds, olives. Meat, Fish, green veg, eggs.

Avoid processed foods and refined carbs, also low fat products. Have full fat.

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you’re pre diabetic there’s lots you can do to reverse this. Assume your dr has given you guidance. If you’re over weight lose weight, exercise more, cut down carbs and sugar, no processed food, limited takeaways, no or at least limit cakes/biscuits/snacks such as these, smaller meals, good rest and sleep, cut back alcohol if you drink. Hopefully you will be given this kind of advice at your Drs. Must stop drinking fizzy drinks, especially come, drink water. Low carb good. Replace with cheese, nuts, full fat Greek yoghurt not flavoured, seeds, olives. Meat, Fish, green veg, eggs.

Avoid processed foods and refined carbs, also low fat products. Have full fat.
Again, as on another thread you posted advice:

On the topic of fizzy drinks, these aren't necessarily off limits for diabetics. Fizzy drinks containing sugar should be avoided, as should fruit juices, but fizzy drinks with artificial sweeteners generally have little/no impact on blood glucose levels. Many "no added sugar" squashes/cordials are also suitable for diabetics, as several threads on the forum have discussed. Ultimately, it entirely comes down to which specific artificial sweeteners are used in products, and while some can cause a glycemic response, many commonly used in diet, zero sugar, and no added sugar soft drinks or cordials don't cause any issues for most people with blood glucose levels.

While there are potential health impacts of artificial sweeteners, it's down to people to assess whether that's a concern of theirs, but from a blood glucose management perspective there are many other drinks options than just water.

You're recommending a keto diet, and while that's a perfectly valid option for managing T2 diabetes, it's only one option and there's a whole range of low/lower carb approaches that are also entirely valid too. Keto isn't necessarily suitable/sustainable for everyone - and I say that as someone who's been keto for 10 months and put T2D into remission.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your reply.
Sounds like a good start. Careful with the fruit, as some are basically sugar bombs. Stick with berries, tomatoes, avocado's, and far as veg goes, above ground is usually less carby than the underground stuff. You're on the right track!
Jo

• Agree
Reactions: Paul_