Diet

joneill97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I'm a newly diagnosed type one diabetic and the main thing on my mind is FOOD!

I've never eaten unhealthily but I do like my food, and this includes the odd treat.

I was just wondering how other people manage the diet? Everyone keeps telling me that you can still eat normally?

Is this the case, do you just eat normally and adjust the insulin accordingly?

If not, what sort of meals do you go for (breakfast, lunch & dinner & snacks?)

Thank you! (I'm hungry as I write this)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@joneill97 Would you like me to move this to Type 1 for you?

I eat normally but watch my carbs and choose the appropriate times to eat things. Sadly, aType 1 does mean you need to think a lot more about food, but, within reason, you can eat normally if normal for you is relatively healthy.

If you've just been diagnosed, it's usual to feel hungry. Remember that your body was 'starving' before diagnosis as you couldn't use the food you ate, so now it's desperate to rebuild itself. That hunger goes away gradually and you just feel normal hunger.

My breakfast was a good size bowl of cereal (weighed) and full fat milk. I counted the carbs and bolused in advance to control my after-meal blood sugar rise :)

joneill97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@joneill97 Would you like me to move this to Type 1 for you?

I eat normally but watch my carbs and choose the appropriate times to eat things. Sadly, aType 1 does mean you need to think a lot more about food, but, within reason, you can eat normally if normal for you is relatively healthy.

If you've just been diagnosed, it's usual to feel hungry. Remember that your body was 'starving' before diagnosis as you couldn't use the food you ate, so now it's desperate to rebuild itself. That hunger goes away gradually and you just feel normal hunger.

My breakfast was a good size bowl of cereal (weighed) and full fat milk. I counted the carbs and bolused in advance to control my after-meal blood sugar rise :)

That's reassuring, thank you! And explains the hunger

Ah yes moving it would be of help thank you

Reactions: azure
D

Deleted Account

I agree with @azure: eat normally; just be aware of carbohydrates as these impact how much insulin you need to take.

Some carby meals are harder to manage than others. Pizza is the classic diabetes worry: lots of carbs needing lots of insulin but lots of fat in the cheese and meats delaying the absorption of those carbs. However, I still eat pizza without stressing.

Some type 1 eat lower carb diets. This is up to you: it may help keep your BG more level but everyone is different.

Reactions: joneill97 and azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@joneill97 You'like be offered the DAFNE course later which will help with 'normal eating' and carb counting, but you could ask for basic carb counting help now :)

Reactions: joneill97