Diet

dingdong

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Microsoft Word - eating_well_update.doc - eating_well.pdf
This is from diabetes.org, the other big site on the web.
The diet recommendations seem at complete odds to most other T2 diets around as does the NICE guidelines, which push the 5 a day,more fibre and low cholestrol thing.
Moreover for myself, many diets do not take into account other medical problems, food intolerances, or weight issues.
Also we are at the mercy of continous "research" which changes opinion like the weather, the latest being the low fat scandal, and food manafacturers and drug companies who have their own, often hidden, agendas
All in all, it seems nigh impossible to choose any diet for some.
We all have to eat, and a diet that suits your own personal needs has to be paramount, rather than a strict diet based around slightly fluctuating BG levels.
My point. Eat a diet that suits ALL your health needs not just T2, and moreover, a diet that makes you happy

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well as far as the link you have provided is concerned, the diet they recommend is the type of diet that led me to become diabetic! :rolleyes:

I have the 5 a day (at least) but most of these are portions of low carb veg and some berries.

I agree with you that we need to take into account all our medical needs, not just diabetes. This can indeed be problematical, but I find that eating low carb suits me and all of my medical issues fine, so I guess I'm lucky. :)

Reactions: 7 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I am fortunate that the diet that controls my T2 is also the one that makes me happy.

When I used to eat starch and sugar, I felt like a slug. Much happier now that I avoid these foods as I have a lot more energy :)

Reactions: 4 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, other medical problems must always be taken into account but if you research the source of most of the national 'establishment' dietary information you will find it all goes back to the same faulty research from the 60s and no-one will break ranks having given out this bad advice for so many years. The so-called Eatwell Plate that is supposedly a balanced diet is far too heavy on carbs and light on fats. This plate has no scientific validity; it's an invention same as the '5-a-day' and so on. As diabetics we are glucose intolerant and must keep the carbs down. BTW in general high cholesterol is not a problem but very low-cholesterol is. Eating fat does not increase blood cholesterol and we need it for repairs to the body. Read Kendrick's Doctoring Data for an enlightening read.

dingdong

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I maybe should have been clearer in my title, as this was mainly aimed at those with other medical issues, as in following a diabetic diet may cause other issues. For example, people with gall bladder problems and especially removed ones will have a problem with high fat, people with IBS or similar will have a problem with high fibre, such as veg etc etc etc.
For those a diet must meet all their criteria not just diabetes.
I have no idea whether there has been a 55 year conspiracy to cover up bad dietary advice

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
For example, people with gall bladder problems and especially removed ones will have a problem with high fat
It's funny that you should mention that, it's one of the reasons why I'm not going as high with my fat content on my own version of LCHF. I think my gallbladder was removed before I knew that I was diabetic - both were a long time ago now.

But funnily enough, even though I've been cautious of animal fat ever since, I find that I'm more tolerant of it now, with the lower carbs. I've avoided eating whole eggs (I'd do my husband some and take a small bit off as I always loved eggs) for well over 20 years and when I decided to try this routine and thought egg were a good breakfast solution, I ate the first one with some trepidation and was rather surprised to find that I was totally fine with it. I don't know if it's the low carb aspect that make these things more tolerable than I was expecting, but I am able to eat things like full fat yogurt and more cheese than I have done for a long time. I still can't tolerate some foods like butter though, that's had to go.

dingdong

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
on my own version of LCHF.
but I am able to eat things like full fat yogurt and more cheese than I have done for a long time. I still can't tolerate some foods like butter though, that's had to go.
That's my point. People should have their own version of ANY diet. In theory your ability to eat full fat yogurt and cheese should mean butter wouldn't be a problem but for you it is.

Suercc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It may be said that recent converts are the most zealous, but here goes..
Type 2 15 years and followed the standard advice, 'base all meals on starchy carbs' etc.
last Christmas I stopped running- ( cold and dark) and cooked scrummy stuff for all the family and friends , as the advice to type 2 says no food is banned, occasionally treat yourself etc I went rather mad too, gained 4 pounds.
I then lost control of my blood sugars and was ill. Just like when first diagnosed. Blood sugars in 20s, blurry version, brain fog, exhaustion etc
GP put me on gliclazide 80mg, reactive hypo period, felt really rough.
Doing research about all this found Lchf by accident. Revelation!!!
Sugar cravings gone. Energy returned lost 1 stone 10 pounds, blood sugars around 5-6 after eating. Not hungry.
Can't wait to see GP HbA1c was 11% January. You best I am going to post the new one Wednesday
I wish I had found this earlier!!
Thing is this isn't cranky. It is what we always used to tell diabetics to eat. I trained in the late 1970s and it was still the practice to say avoid starchy carbs but cheer up with cream on your berries even then.
I want to lose more weight I have remained on reduced dose gliclazide at GPs request but now want to try without. I am only eating mid morning to keep the tablet happy not me. Gliclazide also stops me training hard I feel.
I think this will become part of main stream advice in time. Pity in the mean time all those who suffer

Reactions: 6 people