Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i see the hospital dietician on the 5th august
does/have any members seen a dietician because of their diabetes, and does/did it help?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It depends whether your dietician is enlightened or just following incorrect NHS advice.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have still not seen the dietician yet .. Don't think I will bother to push to see one now

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To amplify my comment above, I was sent to see a dietitian. She wrote my action plan which said I am to eat carbohydrates with every meal and exercise more. I went all the way to a waiting room in another town to be told this.

She then asked if I wanted another appointment and I said it probably won't be necessary.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Of all healthcae professionals, I hear the most complaints about dieticians.
Most seem fixated on the essential nature of carbs, but when asked to justify their beliefs, they don't or won't or can't.
Having said that, there are some helpful ones.
just remember that a low fat, so-called "balanced diet" based on over half the intake being carbohydrate rich foods DOESN'T WORK for diabetics.
If that's the advice you get, look elswhere for help.
Hana

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
sounds like its not worth seeing a dietician, think i will cancel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
sounds like its not worth seeing a dietician, think i will cancel

So far I have attended every appointment I have been given. I don't want anyone to think I am an unco-operative patient. The dietitian one was a complete waste of time but at least I appeared willing.

Reactions: 2 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The first dietician I had was great I am skinny type 2and she was very supportive of the lower carb way I was following She encouraged cream and cheese and asked the GP to prescribe a low carb drink called calorgen to help me put weight on The next time that I went it was another dietician and she virtually sacked me !!!!
CAROL

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have been seeing my new dietician and she is up to date on carbs and diabetics. She recommends, low carbs, (not no carbs) and low fat.. She also advised me to eat lots of home made soups, stews and meals, and recipes that available on this website. She even logged in, to show me examples.

I have to be careful of my diet, and I have another appointment next week, I was also given my food diary which also had a column for blood sugar levels before I eat and waking and pre sleep. I believe that they have missed the important two hours after though.

You can't label all dieticians the same. Mine has been really helpful. Even though I could never eat half of the stuff she wants me to eat. Dairy products etc.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been seeing my new dietician and she is up to date on carbs and diabetics. She recommends, low carbs, (not no carbs) and low fat.. .

I don't understand how anyone can do a low carb/low fat diet. That must involve increasing protein to make up the missing calories, or where do you get your energy from?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been using this forum for a few years now and it seems that the dieticians fail more often than GPs or DNs in giving correct advice for diabetics. Most seem to have no training in diabetes needs and therefore just churn out the usual NHS Healthy diet stuff. For people who use this forum there is no advantage in seeing a dietician unless you have a very specific metabolic problem or multiple medical conditions

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I don't understand how anyone can do a low carb/low fat diet. That must involve increasing protein to make up the missing calories, or where do you get your energy from?
I posted that she recommends low carbs/fat, however, I eat more fat than she recommends,especially on meat.
My meds are inhibitors, so I am in a testing period to see what carbs I can eat. I have tried low GI food so far, and have not had an adverse reaction. But I am reticent and fearful of anything other than really low GI foods.
Baby steps is the way to go. My consultant and dietician haven't pushed me so far.
I have been told that my diet will be restrictive for the foreseeable future.
I am also getting fitted out for bigger front teeth, with all the salad and veg I'm eating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lol!

Reactions: 3 people

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it would involve largely eating dust. Mmm...yummy!

Reactions: 3 people

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep, protein. The body knows how to get energy from protein quite easily. May I suggest you read Diet 101 by Jenny Ruhl http://www.amazon.co.uk/Diet-101-Truth-About-Diets/dp/0964711656 You will be shocked, surprised, enlightened.Or her website http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/index.php

This lady is my hero. If you want to know how the body really deals with food and how diabetes works and how low carb works and actually won't kill you, then this reference supported info will help you.
OMG - there's some frightening stuff on that website. I'm seriously worried about taking Gliclazide now.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
The only time seeing a dietician has ever been helpful for me was in my first pregnancy, she really helped me get my head about carb counting/adjusting/correcting.
The actual dietary advice is invariably guff but they do usually know a lot about carb counting theory

Scardoc

I've been using this forum for a few years now and it seems that the dieticians fail more often than GPs or DNs in giving correct advice for diabetics. Most seem to have no training in diabetes needs and therefore just churn out the usual NHS Healthy diet stuff. For people who use this forum there is no advantage in seeing a dietician unless you have a very specific metabolic problem or multiple medical conditions
.............or don't subscribe to the same views as above.

Reactions: 2 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I'm like squire, saw two of them, neither want to se me again because they cant help me. They were utterly useless.
And its impossible to eat no carb, veg contains carbs.