Difference between the Metformin

isotsha

I'm sure this has been asked a gazillion times already but I can't find what I'm looking for....or I need my eyes tested!
I would like to know what are the differences between Metformin SR and Metformin MR? I was always on Metformin MR, then the docs changed it to Sukkarto SR. I can not stress how bad that was for me. Mentally and socially I was ticking gas time bomb! Flatulence doesn't even begin to describe it.....it was bad! My gut was in a bad state. Anways, asked to go back to Metformin MR and the diabetic nurse sorted that. But the pharmacy now give me Metformin SR and tell me that there is ZERO difference between MR and SR. Is that true?

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @isotsha ..
Have a look at this thread which goes into this question in some detail. It seems that both (or either) of the Metformin versions are more suitable for some people depending upon individual metabolism

isotsha

There isn't a definitive yes or no. Looks like everyone has different side effects. What I want to know is there a difference between the SR and the MR. Apparently nobody knows.

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
SR= Slow Release. MR= Modified Release. I don't think though there is supposed to be any real difference but there might be in how the particular manufacturer's product works on some individuals. It could be your gastic sensitivities are actually caused or accentuated by one of the other components of a particular brand.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cigarette smoking and consumption of alcohol.
Sustained release dosage forms are designed to release a drug at a predetermined rate in order to maintain a constant drug concentration for a specific period of time with minimum side effects.
Modified-release dosage is a mechanism that (in contrast to immediate-release dosage) delivers a drug with a delay after its administration (delayed-release dosage) or for a prolonged period of time (extended-release [ER, XR, XL] dosage) or to a specific target in the body (targeted-release dosage)
Source:--
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modified-release_dosage_(medicine)