Different Blood Glucose Meters

WilliamIrvine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who think they are the only one's in the world that have any problems, animal abuse of any type
Ok I know this may cause a few comments but....

I have 3 meters.... don't ask why but I do and this morning I decided to do a test on all 3.

Now I set up my Freestyle InsulinX meter which I use in the house, I then setup my Freestyle Freedom Lite, and lastly I set up my Onetouch Ultra easy. They all flashed for me to apply the sample.

I jabbed my finger ensuring enough blood for all three which I then applied.

I then awaited the results.......

One machine came back 21.4, one machine came back at 23.6 and the third 25.7.

I find this very strange and confusing. Now I won't be testing on all three all the time but it does show that this may be why when some of us that have done DAFNE training do correctional doses we end up hypo. One of my machines will be kept in the glove box for when I drive, and 1 will be in my backpack when I am out and about so you can see where the problems arise.... or is that just me?
:?

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You have highlighted the problem with multiple meters. Every meter, even of the same models, will read slightly differently at any given time. Because of this, when you go on a carb counting course, they get each individual to use their own meter to understand how they and their meter interact as well as understanding the effect of foods on each person. To be honest, your readings are not too far apart from each other. Given that they are all pretty high, I wouldn't be concerned that a hypo was going to be your greatest problem. I wonder if the meters are causing too much confusion?
When I've changed meters in the past I've used the old one and the new one for a week so that I can adjust to the new meters results, using the old meter as a base figure. In the past some older meters would give results that were 3 or 4 mmol different when performing 2 tests one after the other on the same meter.
Personally I would carry your favourite meter everywhere for a while and try to learn the way that each of the others reads your results in comparison to that one meter. That way you'll be able to judge whether you are a bit higher or lower than any given meter is showing and you'll be more confident in the results.

Finzi

That's what I do (although I'm not on insulin so don't need to worry about hypos). I have a Freestyle Optium and a Codefree. The Codefree always reads 1mmol above the Freestyle. I just deduct 1mmol from the reading when I'm making a note. Funnily enough, I have never decided to ADD 1mmol to the Freestyle lol.

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (64), average BS now between 5 and 6 mmol.

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Something else to consider here is that the meters are showing about a 16% percent variance from the highest to the lowest.
With a BG level of around 23mmol they are showing a 4mmol difference but, if the BG level was down to 12mmol they would only be out by about 2mmol and at a BG level of 6mmol they would all be within 1mmol of each other, which would seem to be quite acceptable for making choices based on the DAFNE course.
Obviously with such high BG levels, the fact that they all read high is not going to affect the action that is needed to reduce the BG level to a more normal reading and I would think that the meters are all giving pretty accurate results.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Finzi said:
Funnily enough, I have never decided to ADD 1mmol to the Freestyle lol.

You are probably doing it right. When I tested a couple of meters against control solutions the Freestyle gave a 3.8 for a control solution that was also 3.8. Not quite spot on in the higher ranges though but good enough.