Disappointing results

AJL65

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I’ve been following a low carb diet since February. I was pre-diabetic and needed to lose some weight. The good news is - I really enjoy low carb eating and cooking and I have lost around 16 1b which is really great. But I’m really disappointed that my hba1c rest result is only 3mmol reduced - from 46 last year to 43 now. Any thoughts on how soon results should come down? I’m feeling pretty despondent but at least I have the weight loss to show for my efforts - also I have been doing virtual challenges to keep my exercise levels up which I’m also enjoying - so weight loss and activity levels all a plus but so bothered about the blood result as really that was the main point of doing this. Anyone any thoughts? I'm wondering if I need to reduce carbs even more? Thanks! Oh and I'm nearly 58 and menopausal - experiencing lots of anxiety etc. Does that have impact?

Last edited:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok firstly that’s a great result! Do t be so hard on yourself, your hard work is definitely paying off, just think where you would be now if you hadn’t done it.

Now, being in remission is the holy grail that everyone seems to chase, some will achieve it in what appears to be with ease, some will work extra hard and some no matter what will never get there. Our diabetes is only ours alone. It’s not a competition or a race. I will never achieve remission as I can’t do anymore than I do now, I have nowhere to go. But am I successful- you bet I am! (My stats in my signature just click to expand it)

It’s bandied about all over the media etc, lose weight, exercise do A, B, C and your diabetes will be gone, so this makes people think if they are not in remission then they’ve failed. Rubbish! All anyone can do is be the best they can be and you’ve done that so well done! Keep doing what you are doing and if you get there great well done, if you don’t well even more congratulations because you kept going to be the best you can be!

AJL65

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok firstly that’s a great result! Do t be so hard on yourself, your hard work is definitely paying off, just think where you would be now if you hadn’t done it.

Now, being in remission is the holy grail that everyone seems to chase, some will achieve it in what appears to be with ease, some will work extra hard and some no matter what will never get there. Our diabetes is only ours alone. It’s not a competition or a race. I will never achieve remission as I can’t do anymore than I do now, I have nowhere to go. But am I successful- you bet I am! (My stats in my signature just click to expand it)

It’s bandied about all over the media etc, lose weight, exercise do A, B, C and your diabetes will be gone, so this makes people think if they are not in remission then they’ve failed. Rubbish! All anyone can do is be the best they can be and you’ve done that so well done! Keep doing what you are doing and if you get there great well done, if you don’t well even more congratulations because you kept going to be the best you can be!

Thank you - that's a good motivator :) I know I want to keep going and I want to keep going I just need to swat away that little voice that's now saying "What's the Point?" - because the point is what I have achieved so far. So thanks again. Appreciate your replying x

Lakeslover

That’s a great result. You are now only just into the prediabetic range so you should be very happy. Plus I’m sure you can see the weight loss. Anxiety and stress can cause a rise in blood sugars.

you ask if you should reduce carbs further. I think that depends on how many carbs you are eating now and whether it would be sustainable for you to eat less. This is a marathon not a sprint. It’s about finding a lifestyle you can manage in the long term. Maybe give us an idea of what you are eating and we can see if we have any ideas. Or have a look at the “what you have eaten today” thread for different meal ideas.

Reactions: lovinglife

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Menopause affects just about everything, so you can only do what you can do. And I think you have done really well. Keep at it!

Reactions: lovinglife

tayelola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I’ve been following a low carb diet since February. I was pre-diabetic and needed to lose some weight. The good news is - I really enjoy low carb eating and cooking and I have lost around 16 1b which is really great. But I’m really disappointed that my hba1c rest result is only 3mmol reduced - from 46 last year to 43 now. Any thoughts on how soon results should come down? I’m feeling pretty despondent but at least I have the weight loss to show for my efforts - also I have been doing virtual challenges to keep my exercise levels up which I’m also enjoying - so weight loss and activity levels all a plus but so bothered about the blood result as really that was the main point of doing this. Anyone any thoughts? I'm wondering if I need to reduce carbs even more? Thanks! Oh and I'm nearly 58 and menopausal - experiencing lots of anxiety etc. Does that have impact?
Don't despair. Truth be told with my little knowledge you're doing well. Continue to do what you're doing right now. Best wishes.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi there - well done on those really positive changes you have achieved.

In terms of your anxiety; is there anything you can do to reduce that a bit? For me, a long term T2 in remission, stress is something that can impact my HbA1c in a way I don't want.

Be kind to yourself. You have worked hard and need to recognise those achievements.

Reactions: Michellenz

Michellenz

Don't despair. Truth be told with my little knowledge you're doing well. Continue to do what you're doing right now. Best wishes.

Have you tried testing just before and two hour after eating various things.

I know from my own experience and others here, that different items affect people differently.

Also, are you snacking? Gaps between meals, and/or eating in a 8-10 hour window each day (called intermittent fasting) gives your body more of a chance to become more insulin sensitive, and then drive down HbA1c.