Type 1 Disposal of Free style libre 2 sensors and applicator

Owenn01

There is soo much plastic in the pharma industry I sometimes wonder whether going back to the 60's when my mum had insulin injections from a glass syringe w insulin drawn up from vial kept in the fridge wasn't more eco friendly
Glass syringes wear and then provide very inconsistent injection volumes so no; we do not want to go back there (I can recall using these when diagnosed in 1975 and thought even then there has to be a better way!). A lot of the plastics are now increasingly becoming environmentally friendly - they will biodegrade in a much shorter time than was previously the case. What alarms me if I'm honest is the waste in tablet packaging that goes on - pack sizes for the same drug but from different manufacturers can be startlingly different, with 'blister packs' sometimes containing one weeks supply the size of a playing card, then from an alternative you get 28 tablets on half the size blister. Now - that's not environmentally friendly!

Dilog 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been advised by my Clinical Waste folks that both censor and applicator need to be collected in bins so I now have one with a lid for sharps and one without (to be put on before collection) for Libre 2 - they can then do the recycling?

I get my clinical waste collected on request so it may depend on where yiu live and how your local council operates clinical waste collection?

richling

Everyone has their own idea of what goes where, much depends on your local city policies on recycling.
For me, I use the (almost clear) applicator lid as an ant trap for my hummingbird feeders. I drill a small hole in the center of the lid (through the center post without damaging it) and slide a metal S hook through... and then fill the lid with water.
As for the rest of the device, I don't think there is any more DNA on any part than a Kleenex might have when blowing your nose and the sensor that goes under your skin is not a needle, so it doesn't need to go into your bio-hazard or sharps container. Though it does easily pry out of the sensor if your really really adamant put that in the sharps and then the rest of the sensor which I find hard to break open, contains a circuit board and battery. So that part really should go into your battery recycle. I just put the whole sensor into the battery recycle.
And as for the applicator, which has short needle to get the sensor filament under the skin, it is so protected that you'd have to break open the applicator to get at it, can just go in the regular trash. And again, any DNA on that needle is so small of an amount... I don't worry about it.

Horlicks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Forums asking for a load of personal information including dislikes.
Chance of a needle-stick injury from a sensor filament is virtually nil and the chance of anyone getting stabbed by the needle in an applicator, particularly if it has been screwed back into the container is zero too. Mine all go into general waste destined for landfill.
Agree and do everything you say. Apart from the packaging nothing is really recyclable and by the time the 'needle' is ready to be discarded it has lost its stiffness anyway.

Marion52

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You put it in a sharps box, I've got one and it's a 4litre one, the hole is big enough to put them. I looked on their website how to dispose of the different bits. Do not put them in the bin. Hope this helps.

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone have simple matches any more? Touch any flame to the sensor filament and it simply sterilises and disappears. The applicator is a little more complex but a screwdriver simply releases the spring and pliers or tweezers pulls out the little needle for the sharps box
IMG_5346.jpg
Why waste NHS money on large sharps box?

Reactions: PaulAshby

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For the applicator it’s a pity they can’t be recycled or repurposed (as some kind of craft project or something, I dunno). Just seems like a lot of plastic to ‘waste’
I dismantle the applicator and use the springs to make small calendars and notebooks which I give to the local Cancer Research charity shop. They have a list of people waiting them!!

• Useful
Reactions: plantae

PaulAshby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is soo much plastic in the pharma industry I sometimes wonder whether going back to the 60's when my mum had insulin injections from a glass syringe w insulin drawn up from vial kept in the fridge wasn't more eco friendly
Totally agree

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone have simple matches any more? Touch any flame to the sensor filament and it simply sterilises and disappears. The applicator is a little more complex but a screwdriver simply releases the spring and pliers or tweezers pulls out the little needle for the sharps boxView attachment 60705 Why waste NHS money on large sharps box?

Because it is the rule where I live. Decided on by our ccg. Thought it was barmy, but it has to be so.

Sam Pearman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told that the applicatuon that is used to push the sensor onto your arm must also go into the sharps bin. My local,council now give me the bin without the lid on as they dont go through the lid. The rest goes into the bin

Sam Pearman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone have simple matches any more? Touch any flame to the sensor filament and it simply sterilises and disappears. The applicator is a little more complex but a screwdriver simply releases the spring and pliers or tweezers pulls out the little needle for the sharps boxView attachment 60705 Why waste NHS money on large sharps box?
Im partially sighted so wouldnt be able to do that to the pieces, nor have i anyone who can. Safer in a sharps bin.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am new to using libre sensors also and can't get a sharps bin from my local authority(north Lanarkshire Council)was told years ago to dispose of sharps in an old milk carton otherwise I would have to pay for uplift

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
i throw the plastic cover and box in the recycle bin the rest goes in general waste , I think this proves how difficult recycling can be ,

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I throw both in the bin. Common sense says that neither are a risk to anyone. The experts will tend to play it safe unnecessarily adding to cost and nuisance. BTW Libre 3 when we can get it uses a much smaller applicator which helps reduce waste.

Frankrowles

Novo Nordisk now recycle pre-filled pens. My pharmacy provides containers for 12 used pens, needles must be removed, the box is pre-paid and goes by Royal Mail tracked 24 so it’s free of charge.IMG_8192.jpeg

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are concerned about the sensor filament, simply apply a flame. A common match will cause it to disappear.

If you are concerned about the insertion needle even though it is firmly retracted into the applicator after use, a screwdriver will release it if used firmly and the small conical ended needle can be put in a sharps box.

How do you dispose of an Elastoplast or any other item that gets contaminated with blood? Do you bother?

A380John

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello all,

I am a new user of Free style libre 2 and can put sensors in sharps box but what do I do with the sensor applicator? It is too big to go in any sharps box I have had. Can I just throw it away? Any advice from more experienced users would be appreciated.

David
Hi David
I put the old sensor back in the applicator and screw the top on tightly and put it all in the plastics recycling.
Hope this helps
John

Wilsapp

Hello all,

I am a new user of Free style libre 2 and can put sensors in sharps box but what do I do with the sensor applicator? It is too big to go in any sharps box I have had. Can I just throw it away? Any advice from more experienced users would be appreciated.

David
I've looked at Tom's video on YouTube too and I put the needle in the applicator into the sharps bin and the rest in my recycling bin. I hadn't thought about the battery in the sensor so I'll disassemble that from now on too so that can go to the supermarket battery bin.

I read something ages ago about Abbott providing a recycling option but sadly they haven't done anything yet.

Owenn01

I use a 2 litre sharps bin; invert the old sensor into the 'new' applicator once I have used it, screw the cap on and in the sharps bin it goes. The rest I place in a normal refuse bin. I don't find the process particularly 'environmentally friendly' if I'm honest but it seems the best they can come up with at the moment (I feel a lot of medical devices which are time-limited in use fall into this category BTW).

Marikev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Started with Libre 2 last autumn and the first few sensors I just threw in the household rubbish. Then found out they contain a battery, so I now collect them with other used batteries to go in the battery recycling at our local supermarket. I live in Norway where there are very strict rules about how you dispose of your rubbish, with hefty fines for doing or getting it wrong.
I retain the box of the current sensor in case it fails, so I have an easily readable lot number to send it back as a return to the hospital department that sends me a 3 month supply. If a sensor rails, or drops off.. they can claim a refund from Abbott.
I use very little insulin on a daily basis so I regularly, so far, have insulin left after the pens have been out of the fridge for a month. I am uncomfortable throwing these in the general rubbish, and return them to my pharmacy. The same as I would return any unused or out of date medications.
Needles and lancets I dispose of in ordinary rubbish. Have requested a sharps disposal box from my DSN, but none have been forthcoming.