Dissapointing

Chris Thailand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Disappointing HBA1C this morning. Despite reasonably consistent FB figures of between 4.2 and 5.5 my HBA1C was a ****** 7 today with my triglycerides doubled.
So it's back on the statins and my metformin increased from one 500mg to two a day.
That'll teach me to be smug.
I'm having a screw-you buffet tomorrow as nobody tells me what to do, especially a slimy pancreas who can't even drive a car or sing a little song, then it's back on the diet of joy to see if I can regain a modicum of smugness in time for my next appointment in two months.
Thought I had it figured but there you go; onwards and upwards.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you sure you want to start statins? I'm not sure they have any effect on trigs but a common side effect is raised blood sugar.

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
I didn't know statins could raise your sugar levels. I take one at bed time and my levels always go up 2-3 points overnight, I thought it was the dawn phenomenon but maybe the statins are playing a part.

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Raised blood sugars is a known side effect of statins. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration now puts this as a possible side effect on the instruction leaflets inside each packet.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Disappointing HBA1C this morning. Despite reasonably consistent FB figures of between 4.2 and 5.5 my HBA1C was a ****** 7 today with my triglycerides doubled.
So it's back on the statins and my metformin increased from one 500mg to two a day.
I'm having a screw-you buffet tomorrow as nobody tells me what to do, especially a slimy pancreas who can't even drive a car or sing a little song, then it's back on the diet of joy to see if I can regain a modicum of smugness in time for my next appointment in two months.

I'm sorry you had these disappointing results, but we can all learn from it. It just goes to show how vigilant we must all remain even after seeing a "reversal". Good luck with getting back on the wagon. :)

Reactions: 2 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.

I'm feeling the disappointment.

Chin up, smile, press on:)

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
A fatty meal a few hours before a Lipid panel test can have a fairly sizeable effect on triglycerides., LDL and HDL aren't altered much by fasting or non-fasting.

Reactions: 4 people

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
I didn't know statins could raise your sugar levels. I take one at bed time and my levels always go up 2-3 points overnight, I thought it was the dawn phenomenon but maybe the statins are playing a part.

A 0.2 to 0.3 rise overnight is not only normal it is pretty good provided the over all number is not too high..

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My rise is normally 2 to 3 not point.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

That sounds like DP to me, not statins. Statins accumulate in your body and I imagine would affect your BS throughout the day, not just overnight. I could be wrong.

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks for the info. Perhaps a combination of both.

Sorry to divert from the original thread can sympathise with disappointing result, due an hba1c test myself, but putting it off!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Chris that HbA1c sounds quite high but do you measure your blood at other times as well as in the morning?
If you have good morning readings then you must be going higher at some other time in the day do you know when and what you are eating then?

goose64

My trig's rose when I tried LCHF, now back on reduced carb, lowish carb which suits my overall health better.Also on statins which have reduced my overall cholesterol levels.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
I'm certainly going to find out when I restart on Monday, mate!
Got me sweating now, Chris. Had bloods taken yesterday for HbA1c, (nothing else, no weight check, no foot check, blood pressure - nothing!). I'm reasonably confident about lower BS levels after LCHF'ing but at the back of my mind is the worry that I've been overdoing the cream in the coffee...
I'll let you all know!

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Its not a good idea to rely on fasting readings only as it doesnt give you a good indication of how you are really doing. Make sure to test before meals and 2 hours after to build up a good picture of your BS control.

Chris Thailand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will for a couple of days and will post the results but I can't afford to do that on an extended basis. I'm planning on a week of full testing then a week of after meals then back to morning followed by every two days.

Chris Thailand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hope this will give me enough information to show where I took a wrong turn recently. Strips cost me around 12 pounds for 25 (Accucheck-no code free here!) and my poor fingers already hurt like bilio!

DumfriesDik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
Keep at it Chris, and once you have found out what changes you need to make, sadly, you have to keep at it.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That sounds like a good plan. Are the test strips gold plated by any chance, geez thats expensive, my strips are $14.90 NZ for 50 strips. I do a couple of weeks full testing every now and then just to gauge what my BS is up to. Just persevere and hopefully it will fall into place.