Type 1 Dissertation Topic Help

Vondsuk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hiya everyone, I'm a third year student and I am at the period where we have to start thinking of our dissertation topics. I study adult nursing and I was wondering if any of you beautiful people out there can help me choose a topic.
It would need to involve like the nurses role, management .... anything that involves nurses care, understanding. If you all could help me, because I am struggling so much.
It can also be focused at any type of diabetes not necessarily T1DM.

Many thanks
Jennifer x

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If it is diabetes related, and you wish to include T2s how about including suitable dietary support? This appears to be very lacking in our surgery nurses. Also T2 medications, as nurses appear unaware of how these work, what they do, and what they don't do. (GPs as well!)

Reactions: Vondsuk

Vondsuk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If it is diabetes related, and you wish to include T2s how about including suitable dietary support? This appears to be very lacking in our surgery nurses. Also T2 medications, as nurses appear unaware of how these work, what they do, and what they don't do. (GPs as well!)

Hey Bluetit1802 , thank you for your contribution will look into it further x

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
possibly not wise to do it on the lchf diet. the markers could be harse because of the nice guidance. maybe improving commuincations between patient and hcp.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Involvement of patients in self care rather than orders from the doctor?
Similar to the way Dr David Unwin has involved his patients in their own health and how this leads to enormous benefits to both sides.

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This applies to all varieties of diabetes, so would certainly give you plenty to write about !

Biggles2

It would need to involve like the nurses role, management .... anything that involves nurses care, understanding. If you all could help me, because I am struggling so much.

So, the old saying used to be: "doctors diagnose disease, nurses help patients to live with their disease/condition". Diabetes is a condition that involves self-care for optimal results as we live with our condition 24/7/365, and we may only see our providers for a tiny fraction of that time.

Do a lit review on "co-production" as best outcomes are really a co-production between an informed nurse and his/her patient. Look at the benefits of co-production to the overall system - the NHS - in terms of increasing capacity: a well managed/supported person will cost the system less in the long term, and will enjoy a higher quality of life - a win-win for both parties! And, finally, look at the patient experience and nursing ethics literature: our profession exists to help people.

You should be able to write a great paper on this topic. Maybe it will spark an interest for your Master's dissertation! We need more research and evidence in this area so that every person can all be supported and encouraged to achieve the best health outcomes with the best quality of life.