DIY Medical ID

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since being dx as T2 and now on gliclazide, I thought it may be a good idea to have some sort of medical ID.

I had a look around commercial sites but wasn't sure I wanted jewellery or that I liked their designs.

I decided that a laminated credit card sized item to put in my purse which gave details of my name, allergies, medication and emergency contact would be a good idea. My purse has a season ticket slot, so this card would go in there.

I also decided that keyring would also be a good idea. I went on ebay and bought 10 keyring blanks for £5.00 (just waiting for them to arrive!). I already have a laminator and got some pouches from a pound shop for the card.

Here are photos of the items I made, I've taken off my personal information for obvious reasons and that's why there are several smudges on them.

Am I wasting my time doing this and would they get spotted if I did have a medical emergency? I already have the information written down in my diary. I never go anywhere without my handbag, purse or keys.

Attachments

• medical-id.jpg
    medical-id.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 1,539
  • medical-id2.jpg
    medical-id2.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 1,504
  • medical-id-keyring.jpg
    medical-id-keyring.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 1,526

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
Looks pretty good to me. I got a card from diabetesuk I keep in my wallet but really need a change or something as I never have my wallet on me :lol:

sugar2

I would say go for it..everythi9ng helsp! I bough t a keyring from ebay...and it is great, but over the years, water has leaked in, and it is now very smudged. To be honest though, if you are lucky enough to be prescribes test strips, and carry your meter in your handbag (or in my case it is more of a small suitcase!) the paramedics will spot this, before getting to your keys! Not a waste of time though, I admire your skills!

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Those look good Denise, and yes I think paramedics/hospital would look at your wallet to find ID if you were unconscious so would definitely find those.

I don't bother to carry anything like that though, as I assume if they are looking through my stuff they'd find my insulin and work it out!

Also, I don't have a medic ID bracelet, I'm worried if I did and paramedics found me unconscious/semiconscious/having a seizure they'd see the medic alert and just assume I was having a hypo, I'd rather they check to see if it's a stroke or heart attack first, not waste time treating a possible hypo.