Do I have diabetes?!

Helpplease20

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all. So I'm really just looking for advice, long story short my diet has been poor the past three weeks (biscuits, pop) I'm a 20 year old female who's relatively healthy usually. Health background: undiagnosed seizures for 17 yrs.

Anyway, tonight I went to a&e with chest pain and shortness of breath and everything was fine apart from slightly low blood sugar - I think it was 3.6. I was given a cup of tea and had bloods. My glucose levels came back fine apparently, I remember the doctor saying 4 point something, so he sent me home.

However I've been reading up and therefore have gone into a bit of a panic.

This morning at around 6am I woke up so so thirsty. So I had a drink and I got home after the hospital and I was extremely thirsty again, I've just gulped a full bottle of 500ml water!!

I've only just read thirst and diabetes are connected so I instinctively thought ****!

My blood sugar has always been fine so it was a shock to hear it was low. At the hospital earlier today there was no mention of diabeties though - maybe because glucose was ok? I'm just worried as I have the first back - I didn't mention it to the doctor as I wasn't thirsty in hospital and it only happened when I got in.

Any advice? Does it sound like I have diabetes? What are the next steps?

I've read you can have seizures and go into a coma, I have no way of checking my blood sugar at home!! I'm scared at the minute.

Sort of unrelated but have I had too much to drink today? I have a light headache. I've had three teas, a can of coke and two and a half bottles of 500ml water. I've been up since 7am and it's now 11pm.

Thanks x

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi helpplease20, Are you making a lot of trips to the toilet to pass urine more than usual? I think you need to go and see your GP to have blood tests done.

Helpplease20

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi helpplease20, Are you making a lot of trips to the toilet to pass urine more than usual? I think you need to go and see your GP to have blood tests done.

Hi, not really no! I'm so worried. My blood sugar about 3 weeks ago was normal, could it have gone into diabetes without me knowing? I had blood tests at the hospital tonight and my bloods were all normal.

S

Shar67

Diabetes is normally a problem if you have high reading above 12, hot weather, no proper meals can affect readings but a low reading means you are producing insulin so not diabetic

Reactions: 4 people

Helpplease20

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So a low reading means not diabetic? Are you only diabetic if you have high readings? As I've never had a problem with my blood sugar before I asked the nurse if it was bad and she said are you diabetic so I said not that I'm aware of and she said I'd only be concerned if you were diabetic. My glucose blood result was normal. I had sausage barm and a kit Kat, last ate at around 12pm and I went to the hospital and had the blood sugar prick at half 5 ish.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi again. I agree with the comments from Shar67.

Reactions: 3 people

Helpplease20

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
To be honest I know barely anything about diabetes. All I know is today made me panic. Diabetes runs in my family - it's in the genes so it worried me. So does a low sugar reading mean no diabetes, something else? And only a high reading means diabetes? Sorry I'm asking so many questions.

S

Shar67

Diagnosis of diabetes is usually a high reading, over 12. If you are diagnosed diabetic then blood sugars will fluctuate (just like a non diabetic) but in a diabetic too much insulin needs to be treated by eating not enough insulin needs it to be injected or ingested via tablets.
A non diabetic may have the odd low reading, alcohol and eating too much sugary snacks will make your body produce insulin to break these down to digest, so every no and then you might feel shaky normally eating a sandwich counter acts that.
If you have a high reading your body isn't producing insulin to break down sugars a non diabetic a couple of glasses of water counterbalances that.
A reading of about 5.6 to 6.2 is about normal and this is what diabetics strive to keep readings at, it will go up and down

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
S

Shar67

Your pancreas has 2 major functions, to produce Insulin, insulin is needed to break down carbohydrates in to glucose to give you energy, and to produce enzymes that break down protein and fats ( needed to help absorb vitamins and minerals from food)
A diabetic's pancreas either stops producing insulin or doesn't produce enough this means, carbohyrdates are not broken down and body cannot digest the glucose, it goes into blood stream, with no insulin this glucose builds up to the point there is too much of it, muscles start to hurt, joints, your brain will be foggy, you may start to slur when you speak, become snappy, generally lethargic
Your blood sugar reading will be high, if you don't get insulin into body to break down glucose your blood will become acidy (DKA) you will go into a coma and die.

If you have too much insulin (most pancreas still produce some as does your liver) your body will break down glucose very quickly, and like to much the symptoms are pretty similar, you need to eat food to mop up extra insulin, eating a chocolate bar will give you a quick surge of sugar, which will push reading up, but it is better to eat a food that will bring it up at a steady rate.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.

Helpplease20

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This is so scary. I'm thirsty with a headache now and I'm not sure if these are symptoms. I have no blood sugar kit and can't buy one until morning. Any suggestions on what to do?

Also, does anybody know what foods/drink I should avoid/have more of? thanks

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
This is so scary. I'm thirsty with a headache now and I'm not sure if these are symptoms. I have no blood sugar kit and can't buy one until morning. Any suggestions on what to do?

Also, does anybody know what foods/drink I should avoid/have more of? thanks
I think you should try to relax, because it is extremely unlikely you have diabetes or DKA. Take sips of water to relieve your thirst, and take some paracetamol for your headache. There are no foods or drinks that you should avoid at the moment, except for drinks containing caffeine because they will keep you awake.

You could call http://www.nhs24.com/contactus/ and speak to a nurse about your concerns if you like.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
People without diabetes can have a slightly low blood sugar. If the doctor had been concerned about that they'd have investigated further. It's not uncommon. Blood sugar is frequently tested in A & E so don't worry that your was tested.

Your thirst is more than likely perfectly normal thirst after your busy day. Yes, there is a connection between thirst and diabetes, but the thirst comes on due to very high blood sugar - yours was tested and was low.

Did they find out what caused your chest pain?

Reactions: 4 people

Helpplease20

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi again azure, I have heart problems so they just put them down to that. (Yeah for a 20 year old my health sucks) I'm a healthy weight, exercise on a regular basis and try not to eat too much junk - although as I said I did pig out this past month.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to hear that, Helpplease20.

Look after yourself and maybe rest extra if you can today. A visit to A&E is no fun.

Helpplease20

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
A visit to a&e is the worst! If they didn't mention anything about diabetes then I imagine I don't have it? Shall I just forget I ever had low blood sugar and follow up with doctor in a few weeks? Also, is there any symptoms I should look out for? Thanks!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you're ever concerned about your health, you should see your doctor, of course.

But if the hospital had any concerns about diabetes they'd have told you and asked more questions. I'm guessing the only reason they asked you if you were diabetic is that that's a routine question. A friend fainted and had to go to A&E. They tested her blood sugar too and it was slightly low. They just gave her some food and had her wait a while. She didn't have diabetes. Non-diabetic people can get low blood sugar sometimes.

Some of the symptoms of diabetes are thirst, very frequent trips to the toilet to pass urine, unusual tiredness and generally feeling unwell.

If I was you, I'd just make sure to get enough rest, eat well and don't skip meals - and relax.

If you want your GP to check your health you could make an appointment sometime just to put your mind at ease, but I certainly wouldn't worry about it now.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
@Helpplease20 I think you are getting yourself into an unnecessary state of alarm. From what you say, you had a routine blood sugar check when you went to A&E. It was 3.6. For a non-diabetic or a diabetic who is not using insulin or a drug which stimulates insulin production, this is simply a very slightly lower than normal blood sugar reading, quickly raised, either by the body itself or with a small amount of food. This was clearly the case for you as you say that a little later your blood sugar was "4 point something". This should be the end of the story, but a nurse asked if you were diabetic. IF you had been a previously diagnosed Type One diabetic, using insulin, the blood sugar levels you report would be regarded as too low, because they might imply that your levels were dropping and that you might go into a dangerous hypo. You told the nurse that you were not diabetic, so, end of.

For some reason, at the moment, you are thirsty. While excessive thirst can be a symptom of diabetes, it occurs with uncontrolled high blood sugars - double figures. You are reporting low/normal levels.

Low blood sugar is not a symptom of diabetes, it is a result of over-medication, having had a little bit too much insulin for ones current circumstances. A difficult situation, which Type One diabetics have to deal with on a daily (hourly?) basis.

Given your various health problems and having diabetes in the family, can I make two recommendations:
1. Read a bit about diabetes, this site is a good place to start. Then you will understand what you MIGHT be up against one day.
2. Try and eat a healthy diet, avoiding sugar and sugary things is a good place to start.

Best of luck and stop worrying.
Sally

Reactions: 2 people