Do you remember what triggered your t1?

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
It is generally believed that autoimmune aggression is innate in us, but we need some kind of trigger (infection, stress, etc.) after which the immune system will start killing our beta cells, but I don't remember anything similar before I started diabetes. Do you remember what it was for you?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I believe I had a glandular virus before I was diagnosed. It made the tastebuds on my tongue swell up. Not pleasant.
It may have been the trigger or it may not. I will never know but given up worrying about it.

• Agree
Reactions: JustLucky

Tin-Owl

It is generally believed that autoimmune aggression is innate in us, but we need some kind of trigger (infection, stress, etc.) after which the immune system will start killing our beta cells, but I don't remember anything similar before I started diabetes. Do you remember what it was for you?
I was diagnosed at 55, in May 2017. No, sign of T1D in any family connection. I was healthy and hadn't had a day off work for 9 years. That january I lost 2 people to cancer, February another, March my beloved dog was diagnosed with a terminal heart condition, mid April a tough tooth extraction (5 needles, 2 dentists, 1hr in the chair), end April my youngest daughter told me, the morning after her wedding, she didn't want to see, me, her dad, 3 sisters or any family again (still unresolved). May I was diagnosed and in DKA. I'm a laid back, calm and easy going person but I think the 'trauma' of the previous months contributed.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was diagnosed a week after my first birthday, I was a healthy child, no history of diabetes in my family and before I was diagnosed I had no illnesses. I only started to get sick as I was going into DKA.

• Hug
Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
No history in the family of type 1, diagnosed at 21 after 3 extremely bad tonsillitis illness in 6 months and a bad boyfriend break up. Latterly myself and 2 of my 3 sisters all have thyroid problems, autoimmune gene must be somewhere in our make up but who knows? X

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Thinking about this. I don't have a clue.

However. Prior to my diagnosis as a kid. There was this buzz about going to hospital to get adenoids removed? (I was doing alot of ENT appointmets prior.) I was so out of it DKA that's what I thought was happening..

I think it was a couple of months later I actually had that procedure.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I also have no idea, I was only 2 at the time (I have zero memory of back then), and no family history of T1 and was healthy before my diagnosis afaik

• Hug

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had forgotten about at least three serious episodes of tonsilitis in the year befiore I was diagnosed until I read this thread. It kept coming back ! They were planning to remove my tonsils ,but the problem disappeared after I became a type 1 aged just 10.My mother's family had several members with overactive thyroids- just not my mother.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I got suffered a concussion 2 weeks prior to having symptoms( drinking , peeeing etc etc ) don’t know if it was reason for getting T1 maybe just coincidence if you believe in consequences

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed at 63, eleven years after an operation involving my pancreas, plus years of an extremely high carb (but inexpensive) diet and years of chronic, at times overwhelming, stress.

• Hug

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I was diagnosed at 8 (very early as my mother virtually went into DKA at diagnosis so watched for symptoms). No idea whether there were any triggering illnesses but know I had a lot of antibiotics for ENT issues as a younger child.

got suffered a concussion 2 weeks prior to having symptoms( drinking , peeeing etc etc ) don’t know if it was reason for getting T1 maybe just coincidence if you believe in consequences
My brother almost died of a head injury (possibly hit by a lorry's wing mirror but he has no memory of it and we'll never know) in his early twenties and I remember his doctor warning that it might trigger T1, given his family history. Luckily he escaped that.

Last edited:

axs2912

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who know everything and know nothing.
We were living in Cyprus as my dad was posted there. I developed an ear infection and was treated with Penicillin. I had an allergy to the penicillin which the doctors at the time (in the 60s) think triggered the diabetes. Before that my maternal great Grandad had it, so it has skipped 2 generations and swapped sex. Drs said at the time that it may now skip 3 generations so my great grandchildren may inherit. I'm not sorry because this is all I've ever known and as Dad said at the time 'I'm special' so that will do for me.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
  • Agree

Sophieb93

Hope you don't mind me commenting, I join these to find ways to help my younger brother.
My brother was 1 when he caught chicken pox, the virus killed the cells in his pancreas and left him with type 1 diabetes. We almost lost him after thr 2 times my parents took him to the doctors and the doctors said he just had a cold n needed to rest n prescribed full sugar medicine, he was then left in a coma.
Thankfully before this he was a healthy little 1 year old, the doctors are shocked he pulled through it. But now, he's a healthy 13 year old boy/ man (he's taller than me now )

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
Hope you don't mind me commenting, I join these to find ways to help my younger brother.
My brother was 1 when he caught chicken pox, the virus killed the cells in his pancreas and left him with type 1 diabetes. We almost lost him after thr 2 times my parents took him to the doctors and the doctors said he just had a cold n needed to rest n prescribed full sugar medicine, he was then left in a coma.
Thankfully before this he was a healthy little 1 year old, the doctors are shocked he pulled through it. But now, he's a healthy 13 year old boy/ man (he's taller than me now )

what do you mean, "left in a coma"? The child was unconscious and the doctors said "it's okay, it's just a cold"? If it was 2011, then I'm really scared

SimonP78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was 7, apparently I'd had an ear infection shortly before I was diagnosed. I do vaguely recall getting ear infections and tonsillitis from time to time though and being treated for them all with banana medicine (this being the bit I remember mainly) so it wasn't the only/first time.