Does being diabetic affect who you'll vote for?

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
For a little light relief.......
image.jpg

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Public spending has been very skewed the last few years everywhere too so there isn't a level playing field across England either.
Look at the S.E. of England as a fine example but now we also have government cutbacks to all manner of services hitting the poorest areas hardest and not even happening in well healed Tory areas.

G

graj0

I don't know where you get your fine example from, but it doesn't agree with https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...264286/Country_and_Regional_Analysis_2013.pdf. In fact the only region in England that is anywhere near Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland is London and if you've ever lived in London, you would understand why they need a bit of Public Spending. Strangely enough, South East England which you suggest hasn't been affected by changes in Public Spending actually receives the smallest amount per head. I don't where where you get your information from, but it only took me a few minutes to uncover this information. I suppose the government could be telling porkies, but . . . . . . .

Total expenditure per head 2012-13

PublicSpendingEngland_zpsc460c062.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I never trust government.
I never believe a single word they say ... ever.
I only behave like this based on the evidence.
I am willing to accept my figures are wrong though.

Tinmis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
illness
As someone with a lifelong chronic condition I do feel slightly vulnerable and dependent on the government, so whichever party promises the most support for the NHS (that'll be labour then) will get my vote.
Being diabetic really has turned me into a one issue voter. It has opened my eyes to how vulnerable those of us with illnesses are (and anyone can develop an illness) which has made me lean more to the left.
I've had a few bad experiences with the NHS, particularly my eye hospital where I was told I couldn't have an appointment when I was due to be seen as I'd been put on a wait list due to a lack of consultants. Three months later they then discharged me 'in error' (that's a good way to get the wait list down!) and my private doctor said he'd seen people get permanent eye damage due to not being seen quickly enough.
However we do still at least have an NHS. I'd hate to think of it gradually fading away, all us diabetics left to fend for ourselves or basically paying for treatment out of our own money. Because let's face it no one will give us medical insurance.
So I am prioritising this issue when I cast my vote this year to pretty much the exclusion of everything else.

I think it is worth point out we probably wouldn't have a viable NHS if Messieurs Milliband, Balls & Brown had continued in power. You can 't keep spending what you haven 't got. You need a healthy economy to raise taxes. Just look at the cuts in Greece and Portugal. The NHS pension bill alone would have broken the camel's back if not addresses by this government. No matter how unpopular them's the facts.

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I think it is worth point out we probably wouldn't have a viable NHS if Messieurs Milliband, Balls & Brown had continued in power. You can 't keep spending what you haven 't got. You need a healthy economy to raise taxes. Just look at the cuts in Greece and Portugal. The NHS pension bill alone would have broken the camel's back if not addresses by this government. No matter how unpopular them's the facts.
Facts .... the U.K economy was doing very well.
The economy wasn't the problem.
Mervin King has made numerous speeches saying it had nothing to do with government nothing to do with pensions benefits spending and everything to do with people like him.
The labour party didn't bring the western worlds capitalist system to it's knees ... the bankers did.
The right wing Tory type banking class and no one else.
The economy was growing at a very healthy 3.5%.
London being the banking capital of the planet meant the U.K was hit very hard.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Bankers had very little to do with bringing the UK economy to its knees. This was all driven from the US decision, under bill Clinton, to get more people taking out mortgages, critically that they couldn't afford, and the somewhat interesting rules in the US about what happens in foreclosure.

In order to encourage the mortgages, someone had to back them. This was the US government in the form of Freddie Mac and fannie mae. The US government encouraged that these mortgages be securitised, because without this, they couldn't go on buying votes, and then the Bankers got involved.

Essentially, the US government was allowing millions who couldn't afford it to get into massive debt. Similar things followed in the UK as lending rules were softened, led by the direction of, yes you guessed it, the government, and thus a generation living eternally on the never never was created, but this wasn't just in one country. It spread globally.

Then the unthinkable happened and there was a recession in the US. People lost jobs and couldn't afford their too expensive mortgages. So they dumped them, and funnily enough, did it East to west in the US. This brought the two government agencies to their knees and the securitised products were now known to be toxic, driving their value down. These products were interlinked into all parts of the financial system and the result is what we saw.

The fault of whom? Well the Bankers are the easy target. The reality is the politicians and the public taking advantage of what the politicians offered. And in the UK during this period it was the labour party. Blair, brown and balls.

So no, the Bankers aren't the prime reason. Politicians buying votes are. But don't let a good fact get in the way of a Russell Brand-esque story....

And the economy growth? The majority of that was coming from government spending (I believe it was around 2/3rds), so you have to ask how it was maintainable?

Last edited by a moderator:

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
It's called a banking crisis for a reason.
The same international banking families that bought the world to it's knees in the 1930's are the same who did it this time.
The thirties crash is now seen as the first scientifically engineered economic collapse.
It fo;;owed the banks flooding America with cheap money.
Same thing this time ... cheap money was flooded into the entire western world and crash!
Engineered again.
It couldn't happen though without Clinton removing the Glass Steagal act which had been put in place to prevent the bankers ever doing what they did in the thirties again.
It couldn't happen with that legislation still in place so why trmove it?
It's obvious why when you look at the results.
The results are the very wealthiest people on the planet are increasing their wealth at a speed never before seen.
Corporations and banks are awash with money while entire nations are on their knees.
Greece is the result of corruption and Goldman Sachs.
Do you know what happened to the billions of dollars they were bailed out with?
85% went to banks around the world mostly in Europe but the Greeks still have to pay it back and the interest.
Do a little research and it is very very disturbing.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Banks don't get to provide cheap money without the government making it possible. Where does the bank of England interest rate come from? Oh yes, not the banks. Was money cheap? Depends on your point of view. In 2007, in the year prior to the collapse, the interest rate in the UK was between 5.25% and 5.75%. It's highest since 2000. Okay, it wasn't as high as the eighties and nineties, but it was hardly what you'd call "cheap". And it was also set by the bank of England, with government knowledge, not the banks. They didn't create the cheap money.

And if you are going to bring Greece into the equation, look at the real reason the got loads of cheap debt. The euro. Like every 2nd tier country in the euro zone, they were able to borrow at rates set for the likes of Germany, only without the means to properly manage the debt. Look at the yield on Greek treasuries before and after euro entry. Again, this isn't the fault of the banks, this is a policy decision by the European Central Bank.

It's very easy to say "it was them bankers" because that's an easy target for the politicians to get people to focus on, as the popukation deems what bankers get paid to be unfairly high, however if you really look at it, these are all policy decisions that allow bankers to do anything in the first place. Those bankers were doing what the governments wanted.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
It was a banking crisis on the planet I live on.
On the planet I live on it is banks who create money not governments.
Iran being the last one standing that creates its own interest free currency ... soon be bombed into compliance though.
We live in an economic system that is based on fractional reserve banking.
A bank can loan out around ten times the amount it actually has in reserve.
All money is borrowed into existence this way.
No debt equals no money.
Our money is created as a unit of debt.
Irans money is created as a unit of value.
Other countries used to operate like Iran in a manner that has become known as Islamic banking.
All the others that used to create their own interest free money via government have been bombed or threatened into the western way.
Oh I'm forgetting North Korea they still produce interest free money.

When a famous Rothschil family member said .... I care not who makes the rules if I comntrol the money .... said it for good reason.
The system we live under .... his .... means unpayable perpetual debt ... to him and his kind.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Imagine if there was only one pound created but created at interest as it is now.
I lend you that pound at six percent interest.
How you going to pay me back?
Well more money has to be created .... loaned into existence of course.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.

Henry Ford

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are the ordinary people of Iran and North Korea better off than the ordinary people here?
I think not.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Permit me to issue and control the money of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws!
Mayer Rothschild.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Are the ordinary people of Iran and North Korea better off than the ordinary people here?
I think not.
N. Korea is a basket case nation.
Iran was the best democracy the middle east had ever seen.
The Brits and the Yanks overthrew it in 1954 and installed the Sha.
Iran has been under economic sanctions and blockades of varying strengths for forty years yet was still on target to become the fourteenth wealthiest nation on the planet and not all down to oil.
If there were no sanctions in all that time Iran would have been a buzzing holiday destination and one of the worlds top ski resorts.
They are leaders in engineering science medicine computng mathematics and a host of other stuff.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Jack, I think you are confusing two things. Central banks create Base currency. It is not fractional reserve based and accounts for the total physical currency in circulation plus that held in the central bank vaults. This number is affected by monetary policy, such as buying government bonds.

Fractional reserve banking occurs with the commercial banks, ie the ones that you and I deal with. This is the available money for mortgages, loans etc. This is the money supply and is much larger than the base currency.

So while the available money is greater than that actually produced by the country, the lack of interest in Iran is due to Islamic finance not allowing ursuary, and therefore not allowing fractional reserve banking.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Banks create money.
Doesn't take much research.
I know why Iran creates the money the way it does and it means the people are not being taxed to pay the bankers interest on something they created out of thin air.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Did you know that all income tax in America is taken to pay the interest to banks for money created at interest?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.