Does diabetes cause 'dirty' yellow teeth?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Green Tea also really causes dirty teeth, I have discovered accidentally!

M

mrspuddleduck

Teeth are naturally a yellowish ivory colour and come in several dozens shades of this. My dentist (who I think is brilliant) tells me there is actually no such thing as white teeth except in our cosmetically warped artificial world!! Sue xxx

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Teeth are naturally a yellowish ivory colour and come in several dozens shades of this. My dentist (who I think is brilliant) tells me there is actually no such thing as white teeth except in our cosmetically warped artificial world!! Sue xxx

Totally agree. However my teeth are naturally whiter than my coffee-tomato-tea and spice stains make them look... (Unless I use my fave Blanx toothpaste, which sorts it perfectly.

Reactions: 2 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
But don't, guys, whatever you do, use chlorhexidine as a mouthwash. Really, really stains horrifically. Beware!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

So they are not like Simon Cowell's :)

Green Tea also really causes dirty teeth, I have discovered accidentally!

Drank green tea for a few years now Tim and not noticed any difference in colouration, if fact it is said that green tea is beneficial to oral health:

http://www.besthealthmag.ca/best-yo...good-for-your-oral-health#XUDTKTzVs8twoAMs.97

Deskdoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Anybody watched 'The Truth About ..... Your Teeth' ? They experimented with whitening 'off the shelf' toothpastes, basically, they don't work, You can probably catch it on iplayer, it was the first episode on teeth.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine definitely works - as mentioned before, it's Blanx.

kylfederer

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Other
Nowadays people are facing the problem with their yellow teeth. In order to whiten their teeth they try various methods like bleaching to make them white. But this might affect your gum. There are natural way to keep your teeth white and keep your gum healthy.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does diabetes cause yellow teeth? :facepalm:
I genuinely had no idea diabetes could affect my teeth.
Think you could assume that high BG feeds bacteria which causes plaque build up. Before I was diagnosed I also had recurrence of tooth infection in tooth which had root canal work. Now cleared up. My dentists now recommends cleaning every three months - nothing to do with stinging me for another £36 quid, you understand - which NHS charges should cover. No, put that cynical thought out of your mind.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nope, don't have yellow teeth. But I never drink red wine now, only have at most four mugs of organic ground coffee at weekends and gave up smoking nearly fifteen years ago (started at school). Sometimes filch some of husband's non-alcoholic Listerine.

Carbs do leave plaque on teeth which goes when you quit eating them, as does the white on your tongue.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Geographic location & diet causes certain characteristics in enamel on teeth.
If anybody has ever seen an archeological documentary where they test the genetics & lifestyle on the "occupants" of historic or prehistoric burial sites in a lab? That's how they can tell if the skeleton is indigenous or a migrant. They can even find out if the corpse experienced times of famine while alive...

Clever stuff!