does insulin make it hard to lose weight?

rudini

I am not sure if this is a myth or has basis, but I've read in several different places that in type 2 patients insulin makes it very hard to lose weight even with dietary changes. I've only been on insulin for less than a month, and I am definitely hungry more than before. If it's stimulation of hunger that causes insulin to be a weight gain factor then I'm in trouble, because I am hungry a lot more. And I'm also on Byetta, but that hasn't made me nauseous at all or curbed my appetite. If anyone knows why insulin leads to weight gain, I'd be interested to know if it's just because it makes you hungry or if weight gain is also a metabolic side effect of insulin. I'm currently on 10 ug Byetta twice before meals and Lantus 26 ug at bedtime.
Thanks for any advice or info! I am pretty confused about all this as I only got diagnosed last month.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi rudini,

You're absolutely right that insulin plays a big part in weight gain. It's by far the most important fat building hormone. High levels of insulin are found in all overweight or obese people, while low insulin levels are typical amongst slimmer people. It's also a strong stimulant to appetite, although not the only one.
When you add that high insulin levels inrease LDL cholesterol and lower HDL cholesterol, you can see how important it is to keep your insulin levels to a minimum.

All the best,

fergus

hails

I have put on a stone since being diagnosed a year and a half agao and finding it really hard to shift! Its quite depressing but luckily im only boarding on my BMI! I thin im going to have to become a member of the gym and really work at it. Just wish it was as easy to keep off as it was before the diagnosis!

xxx

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi hails,

You were probably stick thin on diagnosis of type 1 because you would have had little or no insulin in your system. Do you mind me asking how much insulin you use these days?

All the best,

fergus

hails

Hi Fergus!

I self diagnosed with early onset of symptons so didnt really loose any weight to be honest. I had always been 10 and a half stone and now am about 11 and a half... not that I can complain really... but it soon starts creeping up more!

Im on 16 lantus and around 12/14 novorapid meals depending on what it is I am eating. My nurse told me that Lantus is a ****** for weight gain!

Just with the credit crunch... another £40 for a gym membership is a killer :D

H x

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi hails,

Wow, self-diagnosed type 1! How did you pick up on the symptoms without the typical sudden weight loss? You must have had some knowledge of type 1 beforehand? Way to go, sherlock! :)
I've done a bit of resarch on the insulin issue because I wanted to know how much a healthy non-diabetic would produce in the course of a day - that would be something to aim for, I thought.
Robert Stout wrote about it in 'Diabetes and atherosclerosis' (no, it didn't make it as Richard & Judy's book of the week!). He reckoned that normal insulin secretion worked out at 0.4-0.5 units per kg body weight per day.
At your 72.5 kg that would mean 29 - 36 units per day, or 26 - 33 at your previous weight. It sounds like you are using over 50 units per day, which might explain the weight gain?

All the best,

fergus

hails

Well its 4 brekkie, 12 lunch and 12/14 dinner plus 16 lantus so yeh its just under. My requirements have changed recently but I had already put the stone on by then.. I was on 8 for main meals about a month ago.

Being at school I remember a girl saying she had went to the toilet a lot being a diabetic and drank alot. So when I went from drink not even a litre of water a day to about 6 i thought I ought to go to Lloyds and get them to check me out. My nurses were very impressed! :D

Otherwise all is good, HBA1C is 6.5 - so Im not struggling to much.

I just dont want to pay the greedy money giants AKA gyms!!!!!

:D

H x

lilibet

Hi

My DSN told me that if I had lost weight I would just regain what I had lost before illness but not more.

Like Hails I recognised symptoms re thirst and got to GP pronto - no other symptoms. HAd been on a diet since April/May and lost just under a stone from start diet to diagnosis this month so I reckon at most I would have lost half stone or so until diagnosis? Though suppose it depends how long I was running high. I indicated to DSN that i was not happy to gain weight (surely keeping it off is standard advice!!) and at last weigh in had lost another pound or so, so I dont think she believes me when I tell her I am eating!. Advice is conflicting. I am still settling but had a day of good bs and when I advised her she cut the insulin which raised it up. I also queried why should eat nigh time snack if bs in double figures. She put fear of god re nocturnal hypos into me, presumably in a bid to not have me cut out the snack. Am confused......................... :roll:

I also note that someone stated basal/bolus as standard way forward but I am on premix and was wondering how they decide what insulin and when they would change it? Maybe best kept for another thread?

Ta, and thanks for listening/reading.

L

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Every time your care team give you some advice. ask for the exact reason and don't give up unil you get something that satisfies you and MAKES SENSE.
They don't seem to me to think these things through as much as they should, until you really push them.