Does this annoy anyone else?

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I am watching YouTube videos about food things, the person doing it always say "Oh its diabetes on a plate" or "Oh, diabetes in a can" it really really annoys the hell out of me. They think its something to joke about. It makes me angry. I don't think this should be acceptable, especially with so many people out there with diabetes, T1 and T2. Like would they say that about someone suffering from a terminal illness, like cancer? No probably not. So why say it about diabetes, its not most peoples fault if they get diabetes or not, its completely out of their control most of the time. These guys were personal trainers, so they should know not to judge someone! What does everyone else think about it?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The longer you are around the more you will realise that the most knowledgeable people are those that don't have diabeties. It is annoying as you say but there doesn't seem much that we can do about it. There were a few threads on here about daft things that non diabetics have said to us. Some of them are quite unbelievable.

Is it the good kind or the bad kind is the sort of thing I mean. My contribution was the one at the barbecue. One won't hurt you ....actually I am more worried about the bun ..........everybody laughed at my wit.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It trivialises diabetes that's for sure, but it happens with other conditions too, and I think if you have association with the condition being trivialised you do notice it more, I have heard people that have a skill with maths being asked if they are autistic- those with a potty mouth - do you have Tourette's, those that like a bit of order refer to it as their OCD - all difficult and life affecting conditions that are trivialised - we just have to not take it personally I think

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I am watching YouTube videos about food things, the person doing it always say "Oh its diabetes on a plate" or "Oh, diabetes in a can" it really really annoys the hell out of me. They think its something to joke about. It makes me angry. I don't think this should be acceptable, especially with so many people out there with diabetes, T1 and T2. Like would they say that about someone suffering from a terminal illness, like cancer? No probably not. So why say it about diabetes, its not most peoples fault if they get diabetes or not, its completely out of their control most of the time. These guys were personal trainers, so they should know not to judge someone! What does everyone else think about it?
Never come across it myself, but I can see it's annoying. A bit like "the sugar's behind you". Best to ignore people, although I sometimes think a poke in the eye might work wonders. I hasten to add that I haven't actually tried this approach.

Reactions: Crystalwand

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The longer you are around the more you will realise that the most knowledgeable people are those that don't have diabeties. It is annoying as you say but there doesn't seem much that we can do about it. There were a few threads on here about daft things that non diabetics have said to us. Some of them are quite unbelievable.

Is it the good kind or the bad kind is the sort of thing I mean. My contribution was the one at the barbecue. One won't hurt you ....actually I am more worried about the bun ..........everybody laughed at my wit.
True. They can be killers.