Dog bite

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got bitten by a dog today, not happy about it at all!

I've been to the doctors about it because it punctured the skin and it bled, a lot!

I'm on antibiotics just in case there's an infection there.

Does anyone think it'll affect my diabetes? I missed time off work because of it, I'm a charity fundraiser and got bitten in the streets and had to go home. I don't want to miss anymore time off because it's a new job and I don't want to get in trouble.

Any help I would be grateful for!

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oooooooooooooooooo nasty. Poor you. I can't advise about the blood glucose thing, but suggest you take your temperature regularly to see if any infection is coming (several times a day and before you go to bed) and drink loads of water. Obviously keep the wound spotlessly clean. Best of luck. x

Reactions: 2 people

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you! It was only a little dog, I work for a charity involved with dogs but I must admit I wasn't expecting a bite!

I'm putting the hot weather down to the animals bad mood!! Still not getting paid for the half day I missed though :(

Thanks for the advice, will be monitoring myself carefully for the best few days!

Indiana x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If the wound is infected then it's likely you will see a rise in your bg readings, just keep checking your bg and take correction doses with your meals if necessary.

Hope it's not too painful today and the wound heals up soon.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi I'm sorry to hear about the dog bite, and I hope your injury heals up safely and quickly. Are you up to date with the Tetanus jab as you work with dogs? Something happened to me in March ,but I will leave the details out, I was injured and went to hospital with injuries to my left hand and inner arm, I didn't get any infections as the hospital cleaned them and patched me up. I had to keep them out of water for 5 days and but still have 4 small scars on my lower inner arm and slight numbness to my left index finger. My blood sugars did rise, but I think was down to my emotional state rather than the actual injuries. Take care and enjoy the weekend. ps any noticeable changes of concern, go back to GP or A&E, better to be on the safe side. Best wishes.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do hope you have reported this bite .. It's not acceptable for any size of dog to bite !

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Little dogs are s**ts took 3 of us to put a buster collar on a 10kg one at work the other day.
The obsession with tetnus and dogs is to be honest stupid anti b is sensible but unlikely to be needed keep eye
If it was a cat bite or scratch THEN l would say be very careful cat scratch fever put lot veterinary staff in hospital.
l gert so many bites and scratches l am lucky not had a problem maybe built up immunity to a degree over the yrs.

Dogs have a varied diet but cats like dead things and have a lot of nasty bacteria in their mouths and claws it is Bartonella henselae to be wary of, dogs can have it cats probably have it.

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Little dogs are s**ts took 3 of us to put a buster collar on a 10kg one at work the other day.
The obsession with tetnus and dogs is to be honest stupid anti b is sensible but unlikely to be needed keep eye
If it was a cat bite or scratch THEN l would say be very careful cat scratch fever put lot veterinary staff in hospital.
l gert so many bites and scratches l am lucky not had a problem maybe built up immunity to a degree over the yrs.

Dogs have a varied diet but cats like dead things and have a lot of nasty bacteria in their mouths and claws it is Bartonella henselae to be wary of, dogs can have it cats probably have it.

I know! I'm glad it was a dog not a cat!

I'm all up to date with my injections and things and will carry on taking the antibiotics until I've finished the course :)

It's a bit sore today but not unbearable.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Indiana x

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
carry a walking/bashing stick in future

* Imagines the public's reaction to a volunteer for a dog charity thumping a wee dog with a bashing stick *:D:D

Not that I disagree, @jack412 ! A poke at an aggressor whilst smiling and hissing though your teeth " **** off ye wee ****** " may do the trick :D

Seriously, Indiana, I'm glad you're OK, the bites hurt and the worry and inconvienience of it all is a nuisance. They should pay you though for the time missed off work - injured in the line of duty and all that....

Come to think of it, a bashing stick may have been useful to deal with your ex boss ;)

Signy

Reactions: 3 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We were dog and cat boarding kennel owners for over 20 years until we retired, and have been bitten/scratched many times. If you are trying to control an aggressive dog and end up being bitten then you expect it and deal with the injury. However, if its a totally unexpected and unprovoked bite as in @Indiana91 's case it's a different matter because in my experience shock sets in, and that takes a while for your body to deal with and may have more impact on the blood glucose situation.

Reactions: 5 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Thank you! It was only a little dog, I work for a charity involved with dogs but I must admit I wasn't expecting a bite!

I'm putting the hot weather down to the animals bad mood!! Still not getting paid for the half day I missed though :(

Thanks for the advice, will be monitoring myself carefully for the best few days!

Indiana x

Were you at work when you were bitten? I know its a charity but you should be paid.

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Were you at work when you were bitten? I know its a charity but you should be paid.

I thought I should! My team leader is new to the role so in going to take it up with someone higher and ask them about it.

Indiana x

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought I should! My team leader is new to the role so in going to take it up with someone higher and ask them about it.

Indiana x

I would also have thought it comes under the umbrella of Industrial Accident.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would also have thought it comes under the umbrella of Industrial Accident.

Maybe if the mutt was wearing a concrete overcoat holding up a "flyover"...!

Indiana, your work place should have an "accident log book"? Fill it out.. ;)

Keep an eye on the actual wound, your BS's & yer temp.. Hope it heals soon!

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha! I didn't need anything, the owner was really angry and embarrassed by it and gave it a good hiding! I felt bad for it to be honest, it caused quite a scene I must admit!!

Indiana x

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Feels sorry for you AND the dog :(, all joking aside .

I've been kicked and crushed by cows, bitten by horses, chased by an enraged sheep (honestly!) kevlar shredded by "cats to be wormed " but the most painful of all was a bite from a fox terrier:eek: .That wee b*gger was pure evil from birth, and my grandmother's beloved little "Sweetipoos ", a psychotic little sod who hated everyone and everything, but behaved like a wee angel when my Gran was about. So naturally, family members, the postman, veterinary nurses and stray walkers all - "we must have done something to deserve it ":meh:

Signy