Don't know what to do now

acoach2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Was told I have diabetes 1 week ago today. Have been healthy my entire life. I'm 5' 11 and weighed 155 pounds and had been that weight for 40 years. I exercise, have a very clean diet. Starting having symptoms such as rapid weight loss, etc. My numbers were literally off the chart at over 600. Went to the Dr and was diagnosed.

Started on Metaformin and Glimepiride and told I need to get my #down to 199 in a week. I strictly followed the 45 carbs per meal diet. Numbers started coming down 3 days ago I hit 209 (before meals just after waking up) so I thought I'm just about there. After hitting 209 my #'s went up to269 and today 310 I'm kind of depressed and worried now. As mentioned I haven't changed anything and have been taking medication faithfully. Any suggestions, or thoughts. Really down in the dumps with this whole thing.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @acoach2,

Welcome to the forum. I am confident that you will get lots of great advice from many knowledgeable members.

You've done a great job getting your blood sugar levels down.

Given your very high blood sugar levels at diagnosis combined with the weight loss, I wonder whether you are type 1 rather than type 2. Has your GP done any tests to rule out type 1?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Was told I have diabetes 1 week ago today. Have been healthy my entire life. I'm 5' 11 and weighed 155 pounds and had been that weight for 40 years. I exercise, have a very clean diet. Starting having symptoms such as rapid weight loss, etc. My numbers were literally off the chart at over 600. Went to the Dr and was diagnosed.

Started on Metaformin and Glimepiride and told I need to get my #down to 199 in a week. I strictly followed the 45 carbs per meal diet. Numbers started coming down 3 days ago I hit 209 (before meals just after waking up) so I thought I'm just about there. After hitting 209 my #'s went up to269 and today 310 I'm kind of depressed and worried now. As mentioned I haven't changed anything and have been taking medication faithfully. Any suggestions, or thoughts. Really down in the dumps with this whole thing.

You mentioned rapid weight loss, which can be a symptom of Type 1. Has your diabetes type been determined or are you being assumed to be Type 2?

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I also think you need to be tested for type 1. It can happen at any age. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Reactions: azure

sasharhianna93

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hang in there! It is definitely disheartening at first! Just keep trying, and make sure you keep in contact with your doctor(s) and don't be afraid to ask questions and voice your concerns! I was only diagnosed a few months ago, and this forum has been a real life saver! It helps to know there are lots of other people out here who fight the same battle. Just keep trying your best! It will come together in time! Best of luck!! :)