Don't Try This At Home !

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The carb count always changes from raw to cooked, as the composition and volume changes (water evaporates out). To end up with 100g cooked turnip, you'd need to start with more of it raw. That's why I always weigh the raw ingredient before using it in cooking, so I know how many carbs I'll be eating even though the cooked weight of the product will be reduced. If recording the full composition of the dish (fats and protein too), I add "tablespoon of butter" or however much I used in cooking. I found it easier then weighing a cooked dish/ingredient, especially as I don't know how much fat was supposed to be added in the process of cooking for the database values.

Not much evaporates when you boil it though.

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not much evaporates when you boil it though.
But cell walls break from the heat and water is released...

However, I just realised that turnip might be one of those veggies, like carrot, whose carb count increases from cooking (the cellulose grid breaks down and releases more simple carbs or something) - in which case what I said earlier doesn't apply.

Ultimately, it's a case of try and see. Turnip has never spiked me, but I don't eat it often, never have more than one, and always with fat and protein (cream and minced meat). I'm also fine with small quantities of carrot in stews.

Reactions: 6 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can eat carrot raw in salads (always been my preference) but not handle it cooked.

After my popcorn episode, pleased to report numbers starting to come back now, just had a 7.0 post prandial :) I really threw my body a loop with popcorn. won't be making that mistake again.

Reactions: 6 people