Downsides of low carb diet

mophead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A question: are there any downsides to going low carb- apart from the carb flu and increased dish washing?There seems to be plenty of published work on the advantages but not much on the downsides.I would like to see both sides of the argument so I can form a balanced view.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
-Giving up an entire macronutrient (carbs)
-Dealing with the holidays
-Energy Levels
-Reaching ketosis; falling out of ketosis
- Carb Flu
-Avoiding a relapse

There are a few topics that are either current threads started by LowCarb’ers or topics that are some of the more common side-effects.

-Obviously, each person will have to determine how important each of these are.
-This isn't a list of side-effects you're GUARANTEED to experience. They're just some of the more common ones.
-Each person defines "Low Carb" differently. I limit my carbs (to around 200g each day), but most people on this forum wouldn't consider that "Low Carb."

An ultra-low carb diet is arguably the best approach for a type 2 diabetic, but it requires a level of dedication some aren't able to achieve (there's a thread about that too).

Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A question: are there any downsides to going low carb- apart from the carb flu and increased dish washing?There seems to be plenty of published work on the advantages but not much on the downsides.I would like to see both sides of the argument so I can form a balanced view.

I don't find too many disadvantages really, although eating on the run can give me something to think about sometimes.

I wouldn't necessarily thin k you'll have fewer dishes to wash. I don't.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
-Energy Levels
- Carb Flu
-Avoiding a relapse

There are a few topics that are either current threads started by LowCarb’ers or topics that are some of the more common side-effects.

-This isn't a list of side-effects you're GUARANTEED to experience. They're just some of the more common ones.
-Each person defines "Low Carb" differently. I limit my carbs (to around 200g each day), but most people on this forum wouldn't consider that "Low Carb."

An ultra-low carb diet is arguably the best approach for a type 2 diabetic, but it requires a level of dedication some aren't able to achieve (there's a thread about that too).

From the top:
- What nutritional (as opposed to lifestyle) requirement do carbs fulfill?
- I have loads of energy on a reduced carb diet.
- I have never seriously monitored ketosis, so would never know if I suffered this issue. If I did fall out of ketosis, it hasn't caused me any issues. My bloods are excellent, and my weight low and stable.
- I never had carb flu. Not everyone gets it. It depends how much carb the person was eating beforehand, how quickly they move to low carb, and how low they go.
- What sort of relapse are you talking about? Failing to follow the way of eating? It's not troubled me in almost two years, but I guess there's always the rest of my lifetime to get worried about.

Are you a low carber or someone who prefers not to? As a T1, you may have more options.

Reactions: 2 people

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
From the top:
- I have never seriously monitored ketosis, so would never know if I suffered this issue. If I did fall out of ketosis, it hasn't caused me any issues. My bloods are excellent, and my weight low and stable.
- I never had carb flu. Not everyone gets it. It depends how much carb the person was eating beforehand, how quickly they move to low carb, and how low they go.
- What sort of relapse are you talking about? Failing to follow the way of eating? It's not troubled me in almost two years, but I guess there's always the rest of my lifetime to get worried about.

I agree with everything AndBreathe says above.
Sally

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
-Energy Levels
- Carb Flu
-Avoiding a relapse

I really don't see the increased energy level when low carbing as a problem. Nor have I had any problems with going in and out of ketosis, I actually have no idea about if I am in ketosis or not. Relapse hasn't been a problem either. Can't remember if I ever had carbflue but then the OP wasn't very interested in this as it will pass quickly.

The holiday problem isn't anything I've come across so far so can't say anything about that.

And I rarely go above 25-30 grams of carbs per day. Except on Sundays.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
From the top:

Are you a low carber or someone who prefers not to? As a T1, you may have more options.
I made a specific point to say that these side-effects don't apply to everyone. I'm not sure why you took my comments out of context.

To answer your questions:
1.) Carbs are a fast-burning source of energy. From an evolutionary standpoint, they are absolutely necessary and are particularly beneficial during high-intensity activities (once upon a time that meant running after your food). With that said, if you live a sedentary lifestyle (walking is your idea of exercise), no, carbs are not a requirement to function.

2.) I'm not sure how you quantify "loads of energy," but when I was on a low-carb (Keto) diet, I would start to struggle about 1 hour into a run. Again, this doesn't apply if you maintain low exercise levels.

3.)Relapse means losing the weight and keeping it off. Low-Carb diets can be difficult to sustain and there is a high rate of failure (diabetes not consider) compared to other popular diet trends.

4.) As I previously stated, I limit my carbs to less than 200g/day. In my opinion that makes me a "low carber." However, it isn't low by most people's standards. With that said, I do have experience with following an ultra-low carb diet (keto).

5.) I have not forgotten that I am a type 1 diabetic, and either way that is irrelevant. However, my previous post specifically mentioned the benefits a LCHF diet can offer a type 2 diabetic.

Side note: when I see a drug commercial on tv and they start to list the side-effects, I don't assume I'm going to experience each and every side-effect. Some may apply or none at all.

Reactions: 4 people

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, so here are the down sides of low carb:
  • If, as a T2, you go seriously low-carb, you may end up coming off all diabetic medications and may, therefore lose your right to free prescriptions.
  • If you are carrying a bit of excess weight, you will probably lose it, so there is the expense of all those new clothes.
  • When you are obviously blooming with health, it will be more difficult to "throw a sicky" when you want to get out of something.
  • You need to start saving more money into your pension scheme, because you are now running the risk of living longer.
  • You may feel and look sexier. This can lead to all sorts of time wasting activity.
That's my contribution.
Sally

Reactions: 40 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I made a specific point to say that these side-effects don't apply to everyone. I'm not sure why you took my comments out of context.

1.) Carbs are a fast-burning source of energy. From an evolutionary standpoint, they are absolutely necessary and are particularly beneficial during high-intensity activities (once upon a time that meant running after your food). With that said, if you live a sedentary lifestyle (walking is your idea of exercise), no, carbs are not a requirement to function.

2.) I'm not sure how you quantify "loads of energy," but when I was on a low-carb (Keto) diet, I would start to struggle about 1 hour into a run. Again, this doesn't apply if you maintain low exercise levels.

3.)Relapse means losing the weight and keeping it off. Low-Carb diets can be difficult to sustain and there is a high rate of failure (diabetes not consider) compared to other popular diet trends.

4.) As I previously stated, I limit my carbs to less than 200g/day. In my opinion that makes me a "low carber." However, it isn't low by most people's standards. With that said, I do have experience with following an ultra-low carb diet (keto).

5.) I have not forgotten that I am a type 1 diabetic, and either way that is irrelevant. However, my previous post specifically mentioned the benefits a LCHF diet can offer a type 2 diabetic.

Side note: when I see a drug commercial on tv and they start to list the side-effects, I don't assume I'm going to experience each and every side-effect. Some may apply or none at all.
'
1) From an evolutionary standpoint what makes us as humans unique is the ability to use both fats and carbs as fuel, not to mention protein. So carbs aren't necessary from an evolutionary stan point, apart from the aid of lots of carbs as cheap fuel for slaves and other workers. I happen to be an archaeologist with a bit of insight in these matters.
2. Are you sure you had enough of fat? I'm not an athlete, only work rather hard, and often need at least 200 grams of fat per day. In Scandinavia several high performing athletes are low carbing.
3) My bad. I thought relapse meant falling off the wagon.
4) 200 grams of carbs a day sounds a lot of carbs, but what in E% would that be?
5) What do you know about being a T2?

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Interesting question.
I have a fun combo of reactive hypoglycaemia and type 2 diabetes, which means that I kind of have to to do a fairly strict low carb (ketogenic) diet, or I feel like death warmed up.

So really, that is the first thing to say - there are many, many different kinds of low carb diet. we have lowish carb vegans, low carb vegetarians, a meatarian, an organicarian, and a myriad of other people who post here on the forum, all of whom have a different version of eating low carb. I'm a meat eating, non-processed foods (if I can avoid them) kind of LCer.

Which means that I can only speak from my own experience.

I think the whole low carb flu thing is a bit of a red herring. Many of the symptoms are avoidable if the transition to LC is done sensibly. But what first timer knows how to do that? I only had LC flu once, the first time, and it was because I wasn't eating enough, drinking enough, or salting enough. I have been in and out of LC and in and out of ketosis maybe 100x in the last 30 years, and I've made every mistake in the book, but you learn, and it just gets better and better.

The key is to know how to do it, be kind to yourself, plus, I think the body remembers, and makes the transition more and more easily the more times it has done it.

The downsides of low carbing are, in no particular order:
- having to watch other people eat things that I would enjoy, but would make me feel ill afterwards, raise my blood glucose, and affect my health in the long term if I ate them regularly
- having to select low carb foods, if possible, from cafe and restaurant menus - sometimes the choice ifs very restrictive. sometimes I eat like a queen.
- I think that food shopping is slightly more expensive. Carbs like potato, bread and rice tend to be cheap and filling. On the other hand, carbs like processed biscuits, pre-prepared meals, deserts and fizzy drinks are more expensive. So it balances out.
- ignorant people assuming that because some idiot told them that LC is bad for the heart, they can lecture me on my 'bad' food choices. They soon learn different.
- ditto for people who think LC is bad for cholesterol
- ditto for people who think LC will cause weight gain
- ditto for people who think saturated fat is a stab in the heart
- ditto for people who think their particular pet diet will create world peace and enlightenment for everyone (I don't think LC suits everyone, and macrobioticism certainly doesn't suit me. been there, done that, threw away the T shirt)
- ditto for my work colleagues who think that a life without tropical fruit isn't worth living
- sometimes I get cramps if I forget to add enough salt into my diet

All in all, they are very minor irritants compared with the benefits of a ketogenic diet on my body.
these include (but are not restricted to)
- weight loss (slow, but better than any non-LC diet I have tried in the last 35 years)
- less inflammation, aches, pains and joint issues
- better sleep
- better mental acuity and concentration (this is the biggie)
- massively improved BG levels and control
- not needing diabetic drugs
I will stop there, because I would be here all night.

Reactions: 20 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have been permanently in ketosis because I have to!
It has turned my life around.
I am fitter and healthier than I have been in over thirty years.
I live a full manual working life and coach football in my spare time.

All my vital signs have returned to normal from being in total disarray.
I have no side effects at all.
I don't need or want carbs.
I am so full of energy that I don't get from carbs!
I am still losing weight.
Because of football, I travel a lot and I just eat something quick and tasty that is just protein.
Why do you need cooking utensils for salad?

Southbeds

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, so here are the down sides of low carb:
  • If, as a T2, you go seriously low-carb, you may end up coming off all diabetic medications and may, therefore lose your right to free prescriptions.
  • If you are carrying a bit of excess weight, you will probably lose it, so there is the expense of all those new clothes.
  • When you are obviously blooming with health, it will be more difficult to "throw a sicky" when you want to get out of something.
  • You need to start saving more money into your pension scheme, because you are now running the risk of living longer.
  • You may feel and look sexier. This can lead to all sorts of time wasting activity.
That's my contribution.
Sally
With my weightloss of 4st I can now see my time wasting apparatus

Reactions: 14 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
'
1) From an evolutionary standpoint what makes us as humans unique is the ability to use both fats and carbs as fuel, not to mention protein. So carbs aren't necessary from an evolutionary stan point, apart from the aid of lots of carbs as cheap fuel for slaves and other workers. I happen to be an archaeologist with a bit of insight in these matters.
2. Are you sure you had enough of fat? I'm not an athlete, only work rather hard, and often need at least 200 grams of fat per day. In Scandinavia several high performing athletes are low carbing.
3) My bad. I thought relapse meant falling off the wagon.
4) 200 grams of carbs a day sounds a lot of carbs, but what in E% would that be?
5) What do you know about being a T2?
LOL, have a fantastic day.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

As your response was replying to mine, I'll respond.

1. I do not believe carbs are a requirement in anyone's diet. Yes, they are a fast producing source of energy, and therefore for some people, they may find them desirable to a greater or lesser extent. But, with management, it is quite possible to have energy when required, even for the most arduous exercise.

2. Thanks for your vote of confidence in my ability to lift my rear end off the sofa. I'm pretty active thanks, with a varied rnage of exercise from open water swimming, through walking distances, through cycle riding, through static cycle. When sailing, I can be on my feet for hours on end, and on overnight passages will have significantly broken sleep, depending on how many crew members we might have. I have never found myself to be lacking in energy, due to a nutritional deficit, although I have found myself very tired from doing 4-on/4-off watches for several days on end.

3. Of course, 2 years is rather short term in terms of a lifetime, but I have no trouble maintaining my weight, indeed, if anything I have to ensure I eat enough when busy, or my current tendency is to lose weight. The unfortunate thing is that all weight loss diet regimes result in a significant percentage of bounce back to (or near to) pre weight-loss weights, so choosing to state this as a downside of this particular way of eating in inappropriate, in my view.

Whichever way of eating an individual chooses, if, when the reach their target weight, they revert to eating as they did before their weightlosss, it makes sense they run an very high risk of regaining weight - after all they were eating whatever to fuel a bulkier, heavier body.

4. Personally, I would not consider 200gr carbs a day to be low carb. I think that's a tricky thing to define, as one man's low carb is another's carb-fest, but I do seem to recal reading somewhere that 130gr is often the threshold for lower carbing. Of course, we each, individually, have our own thresholds, whether set by "belief", preferences or instruction, but I would find it astonishing if you were achieving ketosis at those levels of carbs. (That's not a question.)

Reactions: 3 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's ultimately what this is about: finding the approach that works. We're all different and what works for some, may not work for others.

Again, I wasn't suggesting that everyone experiences the side-effects I listed, and I recognize that some people may not experience ANY of them. However, some people experience one or a combination of these side-effects which is evident from several current threads posted by other members.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The major downside, as far as I'm concerned, is being T2DM in the first place.

Following a low carb way of eating, is, in my opinion, a logical response, to deal with carbohydrates which my body cannot handle properly. Low carb diets were used to treat T2DM long before oral meds. Scientists were running experiments comparing high carb and low carb diets, in the Victorian era.

I can see that an athlete may have concerns about energy levels on a low carb diet. However, you only have to Google 'low carb Ironman' or 'low carb Olympian' to find athletes doing it. Professor Tim Noakes of Cape Town University (also a qualified MD) is an exercise and sports science specialist who co-wrote The Real Meal Revolution, about low carbing (called Banting in South Africa).

I eat around 30g of carbs per day, mostly from vegetables. Most root vegetables raise my BG as do things like bread, rice and pasta. At diagnosis my HbA1c was 13% and now I get normal non-diabetic figures with work. I could opt for more meds or insulin but I'd really rather not deal with the side effects.

With low carb, I'm in the driving seat, in control.

There is one study which says that people who eat meat-based low carb have a higher risk for CVD and http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=746013

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can see that an athlete may have concerns about energy levels on a low carb diet. However, you only have to Google 'low carb Ironman' or 'low carb Olympian' to find athletes doing it. Professor Tim Noakes of Cape Town University (also a qualified MD) is an exercise and sports science specialist who co-wrote The Real Meal Revolution, about low carbing (called Banting in South Africa).
I agree.. As far as I'm aware, carbs are fine for short term exercise as our bodies can't store enough energy from carbohydrates for endurance sports, which is why athletes may need to frequently top up with extra carbs. Our bodies can however store and use much more fat, so ketogenic athletes can keep going - and I know we've got some on the forum who run marathons.

Robbity

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@mophead carb flu is basically the withdrawal symptoms you may get when your body is suddenly deprived of (addictive) carbs. I didn't get any noticeable symptoms because I'd cut out at first sugary food, and later many high carb foods before I started serious low carbing, so my body had gradually got used to consuming less. Also I already ate a lot of full fat foods - I'd only ever accepted low fat skimmed milk in my previous diet. So it was an easier transition than it can be for some. ... And I don't actually find I need to wash any more dishes either! :D:D

I think from what I've read on here one big issue for some seems to be accepting a low carb diet, they seem to hanker after their previous high carb, high sugar foods - which must make it harder for them. Another issue appears to be a complete lack of understanding of what they can eat, and they unfortunately end up trying to eat a very limited and unsustainable diet instead.

Don't be fooled either into thinking that a low carb low fat is necessarily better that a low carb high(er) fat diet. IMO, unless you're careful and know what you're doing that option could cause problems or damage long term. You need to replace the carbs you're no longer eating with more fat for energy instead. Some of this can come from any stored body fat, and some from your new diet. And a low carb diet isn't necessarily a weight loss diet as fat can be pretty calorific, so you may need to be careful over how much you eat. It is however, great for improving your glucose levels, since fatty foods generally don't contain many (or sometimes any) carbs.

If you eat a good varied diet with adequate fibre (e.g green veggies, and nuts) and fluids then you shouldn't have any constipation issues. I had a couple of iffy weeks while my body was adjusting, and i can tell quickly now if I'm a bit short on adequate bulk.

So go into a LCHF lifestyle well educated about what you can or shouldn't eat, possibly convert to it gradually, and with a willingness to stick at it -and hopefully you should be OK.

As far as I'm concerned there are no real downsides, I now have more energy, a clear head, fewer migraines, less pain from my knee joints, and a lower and pretty steady glucose levels.

Robbity

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If anyone athletic is reading this, there's a Kindle edition of Ben Greenfield's book The Low Carb Athlete 1.99 on Amazon UK