Drastic measures

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You'll probably do this anyway, but give yourself extra time for unforeseen delays, such as needing to pull over. I always aim to get everywhere 30 mins early so that if I need to stop I don't have to worry about being late. As you know a small worry turns into a massive one when hypo!

Reactions: 4 people

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All of my friends are working tomorrow so there's not really anybody that can take me.

I think I'd be more stressed getting the train, I've never got on a train before!

I think that once this insulin has wore off and I'm okay I'm going to drive there later on today so I know roughly where I need to be.
I've never been to this place before. I think that once I've done it I'll be happier, even if I have to go tonight and it's dark.
Once I know where it is and roughly how long it takes me to get there and everything I won't be so worried about it I don't think.

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Indiana

If you get levels over 12 I was advised to double my normal correction dose and check hourly.

Do you have a ratio that you use for your correction dose or do you guess?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Best of luck tomorrow. Take care driving today, your are wise checking the route out first as it hopefully will help your stress factor.
Might be wise to have a friend with you today if poss. ( also allow time for busy traffic tomorrow ).
I know the interview is important,but not as important as you, :):)

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. are you overweight? If so it will be difficult to control your blood sugar without large quantities of insulin due to insulin resistance. Can you tell us more about your insulin regime? Is it Basal/Bolus? Do you carb count? Is your Basal adjusted to give a morning blood sugar of between 5-7 mmol? I wonder whether some tweaking is needed.

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Best of luck tomorrow. Take care driving today, your are wise checking the route out first as it hopefully will help your stress factor.
Might be wise to have a friend with you today if poss. ( also allow time for busy traffic tomorrow ).
I know the interview is important,but not as important as you, :):)

Thank you, my sister is coming with me today so I'm grateful for that!

Indiana x

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. are you overweight? If so it will be difficult to control your blood sugar without large quantities of insulin due to insulin resistance. Can you tell us more about your insulin regime? Is it Basal/Bolus? Do you carb count? Is your Basal adjusted to give a morning blood sugar of between 5-7 mmol? I wonder whether some tweaking is needed.

I'm about a stone over weight, something which I'm trying to work on!

I'm on basal bolus.
Basal is 30u of levimir in the morning and 36u in the evening.
Bolus 2u to 10g which I carb count for, I'm quite good at carb counting after doing it for 17 years :)

I'm supposed to have been doing basal testing this week but I haven't been able to, Sunday and Monday night I've had hypos during the night and today and yesterday I've woken up too high.

I'm having a nightmare of a week!

My injection sites are also really bad and I'm waiting to hear if I have funding for a pump.

Indiana x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good luck with the interview tomorrow Indiana :)

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you very much!
Just driven there and was fine no disasters!

I had a major accident on a motorway a few years ago with a HGV and it makes me nervous!

Indiana x

dollydaydream2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm about a stone over weight, something which I'm trying to work on!

I'm on basal bolus.
Basal is 30u of levimir in the morning and 36u in the evening.
Bolus 2u to 10g which I carb count for, I'm quite good at carb counting after doing it for 17 years :)

I'm supposed to have been doing basal testing this week but I haven't been able to, Sunday and Monday night I've had hypos during the night and today and yesterday I've woken up too high.

I'm having a nightmare of a week!

My injection sites are also really bad and I'm waiting to hear if I have funding for a pump.

Indiana x

Sorry to hear you're feeling poorly I can empathise with you I seem to be stuck in a similar pattern to you swinging between 1.6 and 20.8 and generally feeling rubbish :-(

Can you tell me what Basal testing is? I'm wondering if it's something I should do?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Thanks for the reply. Sounds like you may be having problems with injections sites as you say. Your Basal units are quite high which implies some insulin resistance? If you can reduce your weight a bit further by reducing carbs it may help achieve better control?

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you tell me what Basal testing is? I'm wondering if it's something I should do?

Basal testing is when you have no carbs throughout part of the day to check that your long acting insulin is working right

Indiana x

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Thanks for the reply. Sounds like you may be having problems with injections sites as you say. Your Basal units are quite high which implies some insulin resistance? If you can reduce your weight a bit further by reducing carbs it may help achieve better control?

That's what I'm thinking.

I've been this weight for a while!
Keep trying to lose weight but exercise makes me hypo too much so I don't do much of that!

I'll keep plodding on until I work something out. I've started counting calories.

Indiana x

dollydaydream2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Basal testing is when you have no carbs throughout part of the day to check that your long acting insulin is working right

Indiana x

Thanks Indiana but being a bit thick here what "scores" should I be looking for? And how long should I leave it without carbs?

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One day you miss out breakfast, the next day you miss out lunch and then the last day you miss your tea.
You can have carb free meals instead but with low protein.
You do your basal as normal as test your bg every hour until next meal time.

You're looking to see how your bg reacts. For example, when I did mine it rose from 6 to 17 so I knew that I needed to increase my dose.
There's loads of things on the internet about it if I'm not making much sense, I'm not good at putting things into words!

Indiana.

dollydaydream2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
One day you miss out breakfast, the next day you miss out lunch and then the last day you miss your tea.

You're looking to see how your bg reacts. For example, when I did mine it rose from 6 to 17 so I knew that I needed to increase my dose.
There's loads of things on the internet about it if I'm not making much sense, I'm not good at putting things into words!

Indiana.

I've never heard of it before even after 34 years type 1! But I'll give it a go !

Thanks x

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had it for 17 years and I'd never heard of it until recently either!!

Hope it helps!

Indiana x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

All nearly correct Indiana but don't eat anything between meals (even carb free meals) as this will give you false bg results, if you read Scheiners book Think Like a Pancreas he explains that you shouldn't eat anything between meals when carrying out basal fasting checks.

Reactions: 3 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Indiana. Don't count calories - count carbs as it's carbs that are the culprit for much of weight gain and, of course, blood sugar gain