Drinks?

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
What are good things to drink? I still have too much pain after my surgery to chew. I'm endentulous.

• Hug
Reactions: Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What are good things to drink? I still have too much pain after my surgery to chew. I'm endentulous.
Do you mean food items that can be liquidised for nutrition? Or are you asking about drinks in general?

Reactions: cdpm

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Do you mean food items that can be liquidised for nutrition? Or are you asking about drinks in general?
Drinks that are already drinkable.
Nutritious ones.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
For example? If we know what they suggest it is easier to think of alternatives. And do you have a liquidiser or blender?
Yes I have a blender but the only eating that doesn't hurt is liquids.
They are suggesting pudding and ice cream and cottage cheese and yogurts and oatmeal and mashed potatoes. The sugar free forms of these things. Except not for the oatmeals. The oatmeals suggested have 19 + grams of sugar in each packet. And the sugar free pudding isn't available in our stores in my town.
But the sugar free forms of these things are up to $4 more.
But the only thing thing not hurting is liquids. Strictly liquids.
So I have apple juice and orange juice and a few glucernas. But this is very limiting.

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your pain is stopping you get adequate nutrition. The juices contain carbohydrates in the form of sugars, and there is no protein there. You need protein to heal.

In my view you need to ask for better pain control. There are liquid pain killers, and also suppositories which is a very effective route to deliver drugs, and avoids the gastric issues of tablets & liquids that some people have. A chat with a pharmacists might be worth while, but I'd be contacting my primary care team and/or the surgical team.

I hope you are drinking plenty of tea and/or coffee and/or water. Suspect all will be less painful if tepid.

If you can swallow plain yoghurt that will do you more good than fruit juice. If it's too thick, thin it with some milk. The full-fat Greek version is less sour than non-Greek and/or low fat versions.

If you can managed yoghurt 'as it comes' , you could try baked custard. It doesn't need sugar, it's dead easy to make in a slow oven and it's low-carb. To make a soft custard I'd use a pint of milk plus 2 eggs all beaten up, with a grate of nutmeg on top if you like it. Pour into a buttered dish and cook in a slow oven for about 30 minutes. It will form a brown skin on top which sadly you will have to discard.

Rice pudding is very cheap and easy to make, and I'm sure you can make it with ground rice. Again, a grate of nutmeg and a buttered dish make it more flavoursome. And again that gorgeous skin will go to waste.

At worst, drink milk!

The rice pudding contains carbohydrates but at least they are coming with some stuff that you need - protein. And it's a temporary thing to get you over the current hump.

• Useful
Reactions: cdpm and Antje77

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Your pain is stopping you get adequate nutrition. The juices contain carbohydrates in the form of sugars, and there is no protein there. You need protein to heal.

In my view you need to ask for better pain control. There are liquid pain killers, and also suppositories which is a very effective route to deliver drugs, and avoids the gastric issues of tablets & liquids that some people have. A chat with a pharmacists might be worth while, but I'd be contacting my primary care team and/or the surgical team.

I hope you are drinking plenty of tea and/or coffee and/or water. Suspect all will be less painful if tepid.

If you can swallow plain yoghurt that will do you more good than fruit juice. If it's too thick, thin it with some milk. The full-fat Greek version is less sour than non-Greek and/or low fat versions.

If you can managed yoghurt 'as it comes' , you could try baked custard. It doesn't need sugar, it's dead easy to make in a slow oven and it's low-carb. To make a soft custard I'd use a pint of milk plus 2 eggs all beaten up, with a grate of nutmeg on top if you like it. Pour into a buttered dish and cook in a slow oven for about 30 minutes. It will form a brown skin on top which sadly you will have to discard.

Rice pudding is very cheap and easy to make, and I'm sure you can make it with ground rice. Again, a grate of nutmeg and a buttered dish make it more flavoursome. And again that gorgeous skin will go to waste.

At worst, drink milk!

The rice pudding contains carbohydrates but at least they are coming with some stuff that you need - protein. And it's a temporary thing to get you over the current hump.
I went to the dentist- I have no more access to the surgeon- and she wouldn't give me any pain meds. Not even weak ones. She saw nothing on the surface to suggest all this pain.
I don't have a primary Dr. Most of us here don't. In Canada. The only option is a 12 hour wait in er.
You have many wonderful food ideas.
I have dropped grains and fruit from my diet when I was diagnosed.
The hardest thing is the aversion to foods that don't already come in a pureed form. Pureed form as in applesauce or puddings.
And with my lactose intolerance milk is out. But I hate it anyway. I can tolerate cottage cheese and sometimes get it but the price has jumped from 2 something to over 5 dollars a carton! I get it when I can.
I'm still not really sure what to do. I asked for help at my food banks for soup but they said if they start giving out special things to one person they have to do that for everyone. I wonder how soup is a special thing tho?
So with the pureed foods I'd rather not eat then totally be grossed out.

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went to the dentist- I have no more access to the surgeon- and she wouldn't give me any pain meds. Not even weak ones. She saw nothing on the surface to suggest all this pain.
I don't have a primary Dr. Most of us here don't. In Canada. The only option is a 12 hour wait in er.
You have many wonderful food ideas.
I have dropped grains and fruit from my diet when I was diagnosed.
The hardest thing is the aversion to foods that don't already come in a pureed form. Pureed form as in applesauce or puddings.
And with my lactose intolerance milk is out. But I hate it anyway. I can tolerate cottage cheese and sometimes get it but the price has jumped from 2 something to over 5 dollars a carton! I get it when I can.
I'm still not really sure what to do. I asked for help at my food banks for soup but they said if they start giving out special things to one person they have to do that for everyone. I wonder how soup is a special thing tho?
So with the pureed foods I'd rather not eat then totally be grossed out.

Does your dentist appreciate how much this is impacting on your life? And can you get to talk to a pharmacists? Here in the UK all pharmacies have a qualified pharmacist who one can talk to.

If you can afford goat's milk yoghurt you might find it doesn't cause lactose intolerance. Yoghurt in general is said to be less problematic than milk as it contains less lactose and apparently live ones are best.

More ideas:
Broth. Take a chicken thigh, simmer in water until the flesh falls off the bone. The liquid is delicious. If you or a neighbour have a dog or cat they will love the cooked meat, but they should never, ever have cooked bones.
A few tinned soups - tomato for example - are smooth. You can also make your own tomato soup, quite possibly with the chicken broth (stock) as a base. As it's meant to be smooth... You can use tinned tomatoes for this.
So also is roasted capsicum soup. Best made with red capsicums, split in two, roasted in a hot oven until soft with a few charred bits. Blend with liquid. Next time I make it i'll include some lemon in the roasting to add sharpness.

Reactions: Outlier and cdpm

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Does your dentist appreciate how much this is impacting on your life? And can you get to talk to a pharmacists? Here in the UK all pharmacies have a qualified pharmacist who one can talk to.

If you can afford goat's milk yoghurt you might find it doesn't cause lactose intolerance. Yoghurt in general is said to be less problematic than milk as it contains less lactose and apparently live ones are best.

More ideas:
Broth. Take a chicken thigh, simmer in water until the flesh falls off the bone. The liquid is delicious. If you or a neighbour have a dog or cat they will love the cooked meat, but they should never, ever have cooked bones.
A few tinned soups - tomato for example - are smooth. You can also make your own tomato soup, quite possibly with the chicken broth (stock) as a base. As it's meant to be smooth... You can use tinned tomatoes for this.
So also is roasted capsicum soup. Best made with red capsicums, split in two, roasted in a hot oven until soft with a few charred bits. Blend with liquid. Next time I make it i'll include some lemon in the roasting to add sharpness.
It doesn't seem as though the dentist understands.

When I talked to my pharmacists they said to drink half a bottle of boost.
With my meals. Ignoring that I said that was my total meals when I asked how many I can have in a day.

And when I asked my dietician how many a day I could safely drink she said to get the diabetic ones. Which is equal to saying to have a 600 calorie diet.

What's missing here.?

Neither listened that I said those were all I was consuming. So diabetic ones were way lower in calories.

So my conclusion is that despite all the words saying that Dr's, dentists, pharmacists and dieticians help- they don't.
So I'm on my own.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hope you soon find a solution it must be awful when none out there to help you

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are scrambled eggs an option? Worked for me when I couldn't chew due to rootcanal and infection issues.... Lots of protein and no carbs. It's not liquid, but it's soft...

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What about meal replacement shakes?

Or could pureed type baby foods be an option?

Or add water to semi liquid food to make it more drinkable?