Dukan Diet v Low Carb Diet - which is best?

GeminiMum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Before being diagnosed I was already on a pretty low carb diet due to having endometriosis and the hormone treatment made me put on 3.5 stones in about 3 months. So to keep weight stable and as I can't eat wheat I've gone down the low carb route.

So since being diagnosed with Type 2 I've lost approx 7lbs in about 6 weeks, but seem to have plateaued a bit.

Therefore I'm wondering should I look at a specific diet plan, a friend of mine (non-diabetic) has just done the Dukan Diet (looks amazing, lost weight quickly) which got me thinking if I should try something like that or look at the Low Carb Diet. Dukan does state it can be done by people with Type 2, but then again the Low Carb Diet is specifically for Type 2.

I was lucky that I was diagnosed with a long range blood test of 55, I am determined to reverse the Type 2.

Any experience or recommendations on either diet please?

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dukan is a low carb diet.

What does your current daily food intake look like?

GeminiMum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dukan is a low carb diet.

What does your current daily food intake look like?

I have the following:

Breakfast (Every Day)
Pint warm water with juice of half lemon & grated fresh ginger (an acquired taste!)
1 level desert spoon of oats
2 heaped desert spoons of Greek Yoghurt (full fat)
1/2 level desert spoon of flaxseeds
approx 1tsp of ground almonds
(bloods test approx 5.8)

Typical Lunch
Steam fried veg (celery stick, 2 mushrooms, floret cauliflower, chopped fresh ginger, small red pepper, about a tablespoon of kidney beans), tiny amount of stock then protein (salmon or chicken or beef - whatever is left over from previous dinners). Or salad veg (all greens and peppers) with protein.
(bloods test approx 5.4)

Evening Meal
Protein (Salmon / Chicken / Beef), Brussel Sprouts (about 6), either cauliflower or max 2 new potatoes (though I generally leave some potato)
(bloods typically 5.4 - 5.9)

Snacks
Mainly: Brazil nuts, pecans, peanuts, max two tiny pieces of 85% dark choc (probably no more than 3 times a week) (bloods 4.9)
Occasionally: Piece of ham / beef / chicken (it's that left over dinner again!) or two oat cakes with humous (bloods 5.9)

Drink
Approx 3-4 pints of water a day
Decaf Coffee no more than twice a week now

Exercise
Now the weather has improved, it's been so wet for to many mornings, I'm walking every morning for about 50mins - will be longer after half term when work quietens down.

Hope this helps

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That all looks pretty low carb to me. The Dukan diet is a bit low fat for me, but it is low in carbs.
If low carb is working for you, why change? Your blood sugars look great, and that is what is important. Weight loss is a nice bonus, but BS control should be the priority.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That’s a carby diet compared to mine (but still way lower than most people’s) and not much fat at all. If your numbers are good, stick with it, if you’re on a stall you can either do a fast or get rid of those carbs (oats, oatcakes, peppers, beans, hummus, potatoes) and up the green veg and fat.
Sometimes just a change for a few days is enough to kick start the loss again. It may also be worth measuring yourself, some people don’t lose weight but they do get smaller.

My days intake, based on my IR and propensity to put on weight very easily is coffee with double cream and one ‘meal’ a day, occasionally two if I’ve not eaten much the previous few days. For example, some lamb ribs, or some belly pork, a cheeese, cream and one egg omelette or some fried halloumi. My body tells me when I need some green stuff and that’s usually some chargrilled French beans with cheese on, fried cauliflower or a bag of salad greens with ham and cheese.

Many of us can’t eat nuts because of the resulting weight gain, I know I can’t and I love them.

Reactions: GeminiMum

GeminiMum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That all looks pretty low carb to me. The Dukan diet is a bit low fat for me, but it is low in carbs.
If low carb is working for you, why change? Your blood sugars look great, and that is what is important. Weight loss is a nice bonus, but BS control should be the priority.

I'm determined to lose weight, due to the hormone tablets I've struggled and I've lost half a stone but stopped, so want to try and keep the loss going as I'm guessing the metformin (500g a day) is helping.