DVLA, type 1 insulin dependant and driving 7.5 tonne

Angeleyes24

Hi has anyone else had experience of the DVLA with insulin dependeant type 1 ?
My BF was diagnosed about 8 wks ago . We sent off relevant papaerwork to the DVLA as he drives 7.5 tonne lorries for a living. We had a letter from them yesterday to tell him that as he is now insulin dependant they have revoked his license to drive C1 !! as of 7/06/11 !!!!!!!!!!
We are now in a state of oh God what are we going to do . No notice what so ever etc etc.
I rang the DVLA this morning and spoke to a very unhelpful man who told me that there is nothing that we can do and thats final.Even though i told him this is his lievlyhood etc etc .Weve spoken to the diabetic nurse who has rung them and the lady that she spoke to told us that he can apply for a concessionary C1 licence but will have to have medicals etc
Now we are totally flummaxed and who knows what the future holds ?
Has anyone else had any problems like this ? Any help appreciated .

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Re: DVlA , type 1 insulin dependant and driving 7.5 tonne

Hi,

I'm pretty sure that if he got his licence before a certain date then he can still legally drive even though he's an insulin user.

There was a T1 man on my DAFNE course who has been a lorry driver for years and still does so because he obtained his licence before that date.

I'm not sure what date it is but if your BF has been driving for a while then this could be useful.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

Hi Angeleyes, as far as I am aware at present it is almost impossible to get a licence to drive a HGV vehicle if you are insulin dependant. However the DVLA has earlier this year been in consultation regards changing the current regs for diabetics using hypo inducing meds, insulin, glic etc. Not sure if anything has been finalised as yet but you can read the proposals for change here.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/consultation ... dards.ashx

It does say however:

New EU Rules
3.14 Drivers treated for diabetes, which carries a risk of hypoglycaemia (that is, with
insulin and some tablets), may apply for entitlement to drive all Group 2 categories provided
the following specific criteria are met:
There has not been any severe hypoglycaemic event in the previous 12 months;
• The driver has full hypoglycaemic awareness;
• The driver must show adequate control of the condition by regular blood glucose
monitoring, at least twice daily and at times relevant to driving;
• The driver must demonstrate an understanding of the risks of hypoglycaemia; and,
• There are no other debarring complications of diabetes.

The highlighted rule about being free from severe hypo events for 12 months would seem to me to indicate that you would need to prove that you have had good control for 12 months, impossible to do if you are newly diagnosed.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

You can appeal to have this reinstated on his license, if my memory serves me right you have to fill in a D3 form and attend a more rigorous medical similar to those that type 2 have to go through to keep their HGV license, depending on the outcome of the medical and the information your bf provides then they will make a decision on returning his C1 on his licence.

Good luck!

Nigel

Angeleyes24

Thanks guys , after spending all day phoning the DVLA etc etc we have finally found out that as you say he can reapply .
Its a bloody nightmare , we realy feel as though its so discriminative against type 1 but hopefully legislation will soon change and come into the 21st century !!! After all the goverment want people to work but seem to like putting obsticals in the way . We have found out after about ten phone calls to the DVLA that because he applied to go for HGV class two about a year ago thats the reason why they told him that they would not renew his licence at all , even tho has never took it and does not even hold a licence with it on !!!
Thanks for all your advice was very helpful :D

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

Angeleyes

I know you are concerned about loss of driving licence through type 1...however there is reasons for diabetics having these restrictions put on them.....as I understand it from your other postings that your BF might not be 100% compliant with testing.....we type 1's MUST test before driving EVERY time....

If the Consultant that signs off the DVLA report has ANY doubts at all about your BF's testing and compliance your boyfriend will not keep ANY licence......he needs to comply...if NOT he could land innocent persons and himself in deep trouble and danger.....

I know it is a huge shock, but perhaps this may shock your BF in to complying MORE with testing than he has done previously.....

Angeleyes24

Hi , yes you are right . Up to now since hes had this letter he has been testing alot more .
TBH i think its really scared him ( at last ) .
Hope that it lasts , still have to give him a nudge here and there but hes getting better :D

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

Hi Angeleyes

Good, glad that this has nudged him to test more, as he really does need to prove to Consultants that he is managing his diabetes and is safe to drive. If they have any doubts, then they don't have to sign as fit to drive..

It is a shock, and that shock needs to stay with him. I will never forget my incident last year, and I hope that he will also always bear in mind that he has to keep nudged in the right direction to keep his licence if he can.

I hope that you are managing ok as well too...as partners can really go through the mill and shouldn't be forgotten......

Reactions: 2 people

karenw

Hi,I just wondered how things were going,do you know how things stand yet?..................I do wish you all the best as we are currently going through a similar situation,all the best,Karen:)

jopar

sorry to say an insulin dependant diabetic won't get a HGV licence they can however apply to keep their C1/c1E liecene which is the LVG (upto 7.5 tonns) you have to do a D4 medical excemption applications more details can be found

Here this is medical guidence/notes for insulin dependant drivers wishing to apply for C1/C1E

www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups ... 179198.pdf

Sadly it is something that some diabetes will have to face the need to change careers, my husband faced similar when he was diagnosed while serving in the RAF he lost a promising career, he had a choice of excepting an Medical Discharge or he could remain and finish his service but would no longer be included in active duty and would serve his service sat behind a desk in this country with little to no promotions available! So he chose to take medical discharge...

The biggest problem for us drivers that due take due care and attention, to ensure that not only are we safe when driving, that our diabetic management over-all complies with what is required to enable us to maintain our licences... Their are a lot of diabetics that don't and do go on to kill themselves or others due to there disreguard and neglect of their own management!

As your BF becomes more aware of the problems that can happen with control he will appriciate some of the rules and regulations surrounding our driving licences..

DJH

Jopar...

You couldn`t be more wrong,dvla state if you can provide 12 wks stable bloods(ON A RECORDABLE METER) you can apply to get your hgv1/2 back"FACT",once you have conplied with this and filled in all the relivant forms your liscence will be returned back to normal,you will then have to have regular medicals every 6 months but we go the doctors more than that now anyway,i know as i have first hand experience of this,laws are strict for it but then again they should be,maybe the RAF dont have these tolerences?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

This post is an old one .
The regulations for people treated with insulin and wishing to driving vehicles that require C1, C1E, D1, D1E, C, CE, D or DE licences professionally have changed. Applications to drive these vehicles will be allowed from 15th November 2011 (ie yesterday)
see http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr ... /DG_185427

The licence will be a yearly one contigent on full hypo awareness, no hypos needing assistance, an understanding of the dangers of hypos, regular testing and no other disabling problems . There will be yearly medical examinations. The driver will have to carry fast acting carbs in the vehicle and agree to test twice daily, plus at times relevent to driving.(meter with 3 month memory)
The driver will be required to sign an agreement to comply with the directions of doctors treating their diabetes and immediately report any significant change to their condition to the DVLA.