Easter

G

gemma6549

At the moment I don't due to a digestive issue, but ordinarily I have a bar of chocolate every other day.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
It can be up to 5 injections, if you eat say 2 or 3 times a day and get away with just injecting your basal insulin once a day (as opposed to split-dosing to give a full 24 hour coverage) then you can inject less on MDI .
I have a confession though... I had a Mars bar last month to celebrate 43 years of T1.
Initially I had it well under control, but then ended up a tad hypo ;)
Congrats on the 43 years, but not the hypo...............

Reactions: 4 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How come you went hypo and not hyper? Sorry if that's a dim question.
It took 5 units of insulin for it but should have taken 4.

It just seemed so... sugary (I'm normally on a low carb diet).

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
It took 5 units of insulin for it but should have taken 4.

It just seemed so... sugary (I'm normally on a low carb diet).
Oh, ok, that makes sense.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thank you

Have you tried 9 bars, loaded with seeds ( all different types) and the original has a thin layer of chocolate on the top. Tesco do a box of four, carb per 40g bar is 11.7.
Or get someone else to buy a little Easter something for you :)

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks Nigel - still seems a way off yet.

A blink of the eye and it will be here.

I was reading a few weeks back about a man who got to 80 years, how remarkable is that when you think how diabetes was treated and managed all those years ago.

Reactions: 9 people

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Try being really hardcore and go for the Lindt 99% chocolate bar! The only place I have found it so far is Waitrose. A couple of times I have forgotten to bring a low carb dessert when I'm out and about, so I have had half a bar of 99% chocolate, which is about the same nutritional value as what I would have brought. It definitely takes a bit of getting used to, but I love it now :)

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
As yet, no one has me offered MDI. Doesn't that mean about 5 injections per day? I don't fancy that at all.
It wont be offered unless you ask. The reason being that as far as your ccg is concerned people with diabetes are classed as 2nd class citizens thus the cheapest option even if not the most suitable is offered first until the patient wises up.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Try being really hardcore and go for the Lindt 99% chocolate bar! The only place I have found it so far is Waitrose. A couple of times I have forgotten to bring a low carb dessert when I'm out and about, so I have had half a bar of 99% chocolate, which is about the same nutritional value as what I would have brought. It definitely takes a bit of getting used to, but I love it now :)
Hotel Chocolat 100% bars. There are four different regions and they are all delicious and have their own flavours. fabulous treat. 10g Carbs per 100g bar!!!

Reactions: 9 people

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hotel Chocolat 100% bars. There are four different regions and they are all delicious and have their own flavours. fabulous treat. 10g Carbs per 100g bar!!!
Hmmmm, this is rather intriguing! I may well be researching this soon.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love the 100% bars and you are right they are all good.

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
I second (third?) Hotel Chocolat but @tim2000s, how can you manage 100g?!?!?

My husband is buying me three of the 60g Ecuadorian bars for Easter. They are fabulous with a black coffee! Alternatively, melt them down, mix in a little cream (I go for single rather than double) and butter and cool. Chocolatey and low carb!

I am on MDI (I would just die if I were on mixed... quite literally... hah hah hah!) and am looking forward to a Crème Egg and a Lindt marzipan egg. I'm going to bolus the hell out of that s**t. Oh yes.

Reactions: 7 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Postitnote I shall be joining you.

I think the 100% is a bit like marmite in that respect. I spread marmite on like I am making a wall and using it as mortar. No skimping. 100% isn't so different :)

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Going to check these out in the near future :). If I'm lucky they will stock it in the hotel chocolat in town, otherwise I will Internet me some.

Reactions: 3 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Another endorsement for Hotel Chocolat 100% dark. I have recently graduated to 100% after working my way through 70%, 85% and I do rather like the taste.

It's a good shop to go to if your blood sugar is on the low side as they always offer a free chocolate to try although I can't help feeling like a naughty kid in a sweet shop with my insulin pump hidden up my jumper.

Reactions: 6 people