Type 1 Emergency collection of insulin

HannahWenty

Hello! I came into work today and suddenly realised that I hadn’t bought my insulin with me, I know rookie error!
Wanting to get it quickly sorted out I went into a large boots by my work and asked about getting some emergency insulin as I wouldn’t be able to go home to e it and would need it for my lunchtime dose.
They gave me a pen however was charged £11
In a rush, I swallowed it and brought it because obviously would need it however now I’m thinking really should I have been charged for this when it’s on my repeat prescription at my usual pharmacy? Is there a way of claiming this money back or is that just the cost of my stupidity?
Thanks for the help if so!

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would expect there will be a way.....but I am in Scotland and it seems to be completely different here.....

I personally would have went home......pumping now and have went home to get a refill...

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello! I came into work today and suddenly realised that I hadn’t bought my insulin with me, I know rookie error!
Wanting to get it quickly sorted out I went into a large boots by my work and asked about getting some emergency insulin as I wouldn’t be able to go home to e it and would need it for my lunchtime dose.
They gave me a pen however was charged £11
In a rush, I swallowed it and brought it because obviously would need it however now I’m thinking really should I have been charged for this when it’s on my repeat prescription at my usual pharmacy? Is there a way of claiming this money back or is that just the cost of my stupidity?
Thanks for the help if so!

Hi,

Do you have a prescription charge excemption card?

Reactions: ringi

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Iv got a medical exemption card yeah. Do you think maybe I could go back in show them an maybe get a refund or at least part?

It may just help.
If you've retained your receipt? They may want to contact your GP, just to straighten out any "paperwork" their end...?

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To get a refund go back to pharmacy with your exemption card and ask. I have a feeling but not sure that there is always an emergency supply charge. You've been charged more than the regular prescription charge which is about 8 quid. And anyway they should have guessed you were exempt if you needed insulin. Give it a try but don't be surprised if they say No, it sucks but I'm.pretty sure they do have to charge for emergency supplies.

Reactions: HannahWenty

HannahWenty

It may just help.
If you've retained your receipt? They may want to contact your GP, just to straighten out any "paperwork" their end...?

Yeah possibly! Thanks for the help!
The more I thought about it I was just like I’ve spent money on one pen when I get box loads for free

Reactions: Jaylee

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whenever Ive had to get emergency supplies from a pharmacy other than the one I usually get my repeats from, theyve said that in the absence of a prescription I would have to pay / leave a deposit for the cost of the item but that i I get my next prescription filled by them, then theyll reimburse the cost / return the deposit and take the amount of medication issued as an emergency supply off the prescribd amount

Reactions: HannahWenty

HannahWenty

To get a refund go back to pharmacy with your exemption card and ask. I have a feeling but not sure that there is always an emergency supply charge. You've been charged more than the regular prescription charge which is about 8 quid. And anyway they should have guessed you were exempt if you needed insulin. Give it a try but don't be surprised if they say No, it sucks but I'm.pretty sure they do have to charge for emergency supplies.

Ah thanks for the help! Serves me right for not double checking, 18 years of diabetes you’d think I would of learnt by now!