Empagliflozin . Memory issues.

Justfish

Empagliflozin . Has anyone had any memory issues after taking this medication ?​

I having taking this medication for the last five months and noticed lately I have been having issues with remembering simple things to do, like closing the front door after I have walked or forgetting to close the car boot after I have taken the shopping out.
I also tend to totally forget about items I bought in the past and where I have stored them .
I am 60 years old. All this sudden onset only seems to be after I started taking the this medication.
Has anyone experienced anything like this .
Please advise. Really worried about this situation.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Justfish it's not something I have personally heard of (supposedly empagliflozin can have positive effects on some forms of dementia)
https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/news/20231106/can-diabetes-drugs-prevent-age-related-dementia

However there are lots of treatable reasons for impaired memory (eg B12 deficiency?) so I'd suggest you discuss your symptoms with a doctor. It's easy to assume the worst (particularly when you google for information) when you become aware of worrying symptoms, and really you need a doctor to make a diagnosis.

Good luck.

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve been on dapagliflozin for the last 6 months ish but I can never remember if that’s from the same genre as empagliflozin. I have got issues with remembering and losing stuff anyway so unsure if this has added to it. When I first started low carb/keto my brain clarity improved. It’s definitely something im struggling with now as I’ve left my front door unlocked overnight. Forget to lock the car and leave lights on. I hadn’t considered this might be a side effect of the medication, interesting observation @Justfish

Justfish

I’ve been on dapagliflozin for the last 6 months ish but I can never remember if that’s from the same genre as empagliflozin. I have got issues with remembering and losing stuff anyway so unsure if this has added to it. When I first started low carb/keto my brain clarity improved. It’s definitely something im struggling with now as I’ve left my front door unlocked overnight. Forget to lock the car and leave lights on. I hadn’t considered this might be a side effect of the medication, interesting observation @Justfish
Hi MissMuffett,
I have always been sensitive to medication. Cannot take Statins due to muscle weakness and brain fog. I am 60 and I believe I know my body better than doctor who only spends less than 10 minutes on the phone call with me. I am currently changing my diet just to greens and proteins. This is already reducing the glucose reading.
At some point for personal trial, I will stop take empagliflozin and see if the memory issues go away.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi MissMuffett,
I have always been sensitive to medication. Cannot take Statins due to muscle weakness and brain fog. I am 60 and I believe I know my body better than doctor who only spends less than 10 minutes on the phone call with me. I am currently changing my diet just to greens and proteins. This is already reducing the glucose reading.
At some point for personal trial, I will stop take empagliflozin and see if the memory issues go away.
I was badly affected by Atorvastatin and stopped it after just 5 weeks. My memory was shot, but I worked on relearning, and now I get tripped up by the original memory of a song being just a bit different from the one I relearned. Other memories are coming back, even after 7 years in the wilderness.