Entitlement to free dental treatment

pollyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
political correctness in any form
Hello

Could anyone let me know if NHS dental treatment is free for diabetics on oral meds and would an excemption certificate be issued.

Thankyou
pollyr

gollymax

Dislikes
frogs, snakes, snails, football, rugby, diabetes and all the problems that go with it
pollyr said:
Hello

Could anyone let me know if NHS dental treatment is free for diabetics on oral meds and would an excemption certificate be issued.

Thankyou
pollyr

Hiya

No I,m afraid not you can,t get free dental treatment for diabetics :thumbdown:

Kev

pollyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
political correctness in any form
Thanks Kev for your reply. I wasnt asking for myself but I was told this week about someone who was diagnosed with T2 earlier this year and who has had extensive dentistry but was understood to have an 'exemption' certificate which gave him free dental treatment. He isnt on any benefits and is working so I wondered if the rules had changed. I didn't think this was the case but thought I would ask you guys.

pollyr

Geocacher

Not all chemists and dentists are good at checking that someone has a right to free prescriptions or free treatment.

I started taking metformin for reactive hypoglycaemia five years before I became diabetic and often had to remind my chemist that I had to pay for my prescriptions. They saw metformin on the list and automatically assumed that I was diabetic. Had I accepted my prescriptions for free I could have been fined for it.

Dentists tend to do the same, if you say you have an exemption they don't always ask for proof or even question what your exemption covers. They aren't losing out, they get paid by the government and if you've made a false claim to get free treatment you will be prosecuted for it, not them even though they should make sure you have the right to free treatment before they give it.

youngmanfrank

If you are on working tax credit and child tax credit you can get an exemption card which entitles you to free dental treatment amongst other benefits.I recently got a free dental crown on the NHS however my previous dentist denied that this was possible,so you might have to shop around.