• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cragwood

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I imagine you'd consider me to be one of the Grey voters...
I voted to Remain and don't agree with the principles of the Leave campaign. But because I do agree with the principles of democracy, now that the vote has been cast I'm resolved to accept it and move on, using the best of my abilities to handle whatever may come and supporting and encouraging those I care about to do the same.
I hope that the young and talented don't resort to leaving in droves, because I love my country and deeply admire the strength and determination of many of those who live here. That strength and determination has brought this country through many challenges over the centuries and I don't see any reason to suppose that it's going to fail us now. I agree it's not going to be easy, but I don't believe that running away has ever been the answer.
I hope the young and talented don't leave too, but I see and hear my children and their friends already talking about it. It seems they don't identify with an England that they suddenly see as jingoistic and inward looking, rather than inclusive and outward looking. They are horrified by Farage, BJ and the far right. I think it's the first time for some of them that they have realised that there are so many in our country who share or sympathise with those views.

Reactions: 4 people
D

debrasue

That article is nonsense: no-one was expecting ALL of the EU money to go to NHS, or that we would resign on Friday morning, be sensible.
As ludicrous as it may sound, I actually do know of a number of people who believed exactly that. Another reason why I don't believe this issue should ever have been the subject of a referendum.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope the young and talented don't leave too, but I see and hear my children and their friends already talking about it. It seems they don't identify with an England that they suddenly see as jingoistic and inward looking, rather than inclusive and outward looking. They are horrified by Farage, BJ and the far right. I think it's the first time for some of them that they have realised that there are so many in our country who share or sympathise with those views.
The very sad thing is I don't believe there are that many who sympathise with those jingoistic views. They were conned pure and simple, and that is the biggest reason for a 2nd referendum because to my mind the first one is nul and void because the Brexit camp came straight out and contradicted themselves the minute they had won. Since when has cheating been British? I know a 2nd referendum can never happen despite a petition from over 3/4 milion people and even if it did the damage has been done. The EU wants to wash its hands of us. I can't say I blame it, I wish I was young enough to leave and make a life for myself elsewhere.

Reactions: 2 people

Cragwood

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The very sad thing is I don't believe there are that many who sympathise with those jingoistic views. They were conned pure and simple, and that is the biggest reason for a 2nd referendum because to my mind the first one is nul and void because the Brexit camp came straight out and contradicted themselves the minute they had won. Since when has cheating been British? I know a 2nd referendum can never happen despite a petition from over 3/4 milion people and even if it did the damage has been done. The EU wants to wash its hands of us. I can't say I blame it, I wish I was young enough to leave and make a life for myself elsewhere.
Me too :(

D

debrasue

I am very concerned that it will become much more difficult and expensive (for the NHS) to supply insulin and testing strips as well as many other drugs because they are all manufactured in Europe, not the UK. I have had problems before getting hold of strips and insulin because, according to my pharmacist, the EU put a limit on the amount supplied to us. What will happen now?
I don't think there will be much perceptible change in trading at all. Depending on what ultimately happens to the value of the £ some items may increase slightly in price, and of course a lot will depend on the terms of our exit, but we'll negotiate new trading agreements with Europe under the terms of the WTO rules. Considering our buying power I can't imagine Europe wanting to price us out of the market. The main stumbling block will be that we won't be able to bring any influence to bear upon EU rules in the future.

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Really?
"In fact you probably helped a few people vote leave by repeating this type of c**p!"
Sorry, Catlady19, but I can see where zand might have picked up the inference.....
OK, it should have said "they". Why are you wasting time splitting hairs?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm seeing (and hearing) the same thing. Most are putting it down to lack of information being available before the referendum. (I put it down to wanting to be spoon-fed!)

It's also kind of odd that the "outies" that I know of were also predominantly conservative voters.. :confused: Now bleating about Cameron's resignation..

Prior to all this the PM did trolley out the same old "in this together" mantra..

Forget about test strips. The NHS budget should be upped for CT scanners. Half this country needs it head looking at! ;)

D

debrasue

I agree completely, and I think this referendum has exposed many young voters to the fact that politics is not limited to the centre-right and centre-left which we have mainly encountered over the past few decades. Perhaps that's why many in their generation have become disillusioned with politics - I have often heard the phrase "Oh, I couldn't be bothered to vote - they're all the same anyway."
This result - and the experiences of living with it for the next few years - could be a wake-up call to politicians and the electorate alike, in time to make some changes in 2020.

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As ludicrous as it may sound, I actually do know of a number of people who believed exactly that. Another reason why I don't believe this issue should ever have been the subject of a referendum.

Really? Their whole reason for voting leave was because of a few words on the side of bus? I am astounded. Oh well.
Bet you think the referendum would have been a good idea if you had won?

D

debrasue

Really? Their whole reason for voting leave was because of a few words on the side of bus? I am astounded. Oh well.
Bet you think the referendum would have been a good idea if you had won?
Well, I have to admit that I wouldn't have been quite so averse to it! :joyful:
But, unfortunately, when you "go to the people" you have to go to ALL the people - you can't specify that only those with a minimum quota of brain cells need apply. And in view of the 'bus' theory above, it appears that I know a good many with less than the minimum quota.
:(

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
People who believe a second referendum is going to happen by signing a petition arguing they regret their "leave" votes are sadly deluded. I abstained as I did not think I knew what outcome if any was going to be good or bad for the country or myself. The decision has been made and in a democracy it should be carried out by the government whether you like it or not. There are a lot of sour grapes by the the losing side and it's too late for that in my opinion. People should have known leaving the EU was a possibility with a 51% leave vote and to re-join the EU is a huge task as all 27 remaining members have to vote unanimously for the UK to be readmitted to the union. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
People who believe a second referendum is going to happen by signing a petition arguing they regret their "leave" votes are sadly deluded. I abstained as I did not think I knew what outcome if any was going to be good or bad for the country or myself. The decision has been made and in a democracy it should be carried out by the government whether you like it or not. There are a lot of sour grapes by the the losing side and it's too late for that in my opinion. People should have known leaving the EU was a possibility with a 51% leave vote and to re-join the EU is a huge task as all 27 remaining members have to vote unanimously for the UK to be read readmitted to the union. :)
Unfortunately we are all on the losing side and yes you are right it's too late to change that now. I noticed earlier that you had abstained because you weren't sure. This was the right thing to do. Those who voted and weren't really sure have let us all down.

AnnInDenmark

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My older children, who are old enough to vote, feel very strongly that they have been let down by an older generation who won't have to live with the long term effects of what they have done. I can't help but agree with them.

Were they let down?
I read somewhere that more than 70% of the older generation voted, but only 45-50% of the young did.
Would the outcome have been different if 70+% of the young had voted?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What I would like to know is just where are all our talented youth are going to go?
Greece? Youth unemployment 49%, but if they got a job all would be well because they wouldn't need to pay any tax. The Greeks are not known for doing this.
Spain? Youth unemployment 45%
France? Youth unemployment nearly 25%
Italy? youth unemployment 39%,
Portugal it is 30%
Belgium 25%
Ireland and Poland 20%
The average across the whole EU is over 19%

Great Britain is 13%

Or maybe they would go to the USA, Canada, Australia or New Zealand and be out of Europe anyway.

It really is time to stop complaining. The vote is over. It was electorally fair in that it was a straight yes/no. No constituency voting, no proportional representation. It is time to stop the sour grapes and pull together, not tear apart.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
What I would like to know is just where are all our talented youth are going to go?
Greece? Youth unemployment 49%, but if they got a job all would be well because they wouldn't need to pay any tax. The Greeks are not known for doing this.
Spain? Youth unemployment 45%
France? Youth unemployment nearly 25%
Italy? youth unemployment 39%,
Portugal it is 30%
Belgium 25%
Ireland and Poland 20%
The average across the whole EU is over 19%

Great Britain is 13%

Or maybe they would go to the USA, Canada, Australia or New Zealand and be out of Europe anyway.

It really is time to stop complaining. The vote is over. It was electorally fair in that it was a straight yes/no. No constituency voting, no proportional representation. It is time to stop the sour grapes and pull together, not tear apart.
I totally agree with you. However people voted they are going to have to accept the result. :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I totally agree with you. However people voted they are going to have to accept the result. :)

Indeed they are, and all this tearing apart will make matters worse. Everyone must now unite, and I include Nicola Sturgeon in this.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Unfortunately we are all on the losing side and yes you are right it's too late to change that now. I noticed earlier that you had abstained because you weren't sure. This was the right thing to do. Those who voted and weren't really sure have let us all down.
@zand you are politicalizing my statement which was just a plain fact. If you are unhappy then that's just tough. :)

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Indeed they are, and all this tearing apart will make matters worse. Everyone must now unite, and I include Nicola Sturgeon in this.
I voted YES to Independence in the 2014 referendum and was on the losing side and just had to accept it as democracy. Nicola Sturgeon does not have a mandate for another referendum on this because of the EU leave vote. The EU vote was a UK wide referdum, counted by each single vote - not on constituencies or separate nations. I disagree with the SNP on this one and generally they have been a good Government in Scotland for me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.