Eugh... help!

caity.x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arrogance, Selfishness, Ignorance
So I had my first experience of DKA on Monday. I had gone to the doctor as I had been ill for around 5 days (glandular fever) and expected an antibiotic... instead I got an ambulance! So the doctor at hospital explained that as I had been feeling poorly, it had affected my blood sugars and knocked me in to DKA, which I probably (stupidly!) hadn't recognised as I had been feeling rubbish (read sh*t) already. It's now Friday and I'm so exhausted - have been since I left hospital. I feel like my body is too heavy for me to carry and I just want to sleep constantly. Is this to be expected? I want to get back to my normal self!

Lezzles

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
CJ from the Egg heads
Shellfish
Leaving home without an umbrella
I went into hospital with DKA a few years back and was exactly the same after I lef the hospital.
Mine lasted a couple of weeks but i didnt help myself by going back to work 3 days afterwards.
Glandular Fever is awful on it's own without diabetes too, i've had this also and it knocked me for six.
Just take care of yourself and take it easy.
Hope you feel better soon x

caity.x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I came back to work yesterday, the 6am starts are definitely not helping. Got home at 3pm yesterday, slept until 7pm. Back to bed at 8pm and woke up at 5am this morning still shattered. I keep feeling hungry too, but after a couple of bites I'm done, which as you'll know is making being a diabetic a bit difficult. Roll on 3pm again, guess where I'll be going... x

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear about your DKA.
I'm lucky to have not had that at all yet but it sounds like it has really effected you.
Should you be back at work, maybe you need some more time to recover?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That sucks big time .. A hangover without the fun

caity.x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I wanted to take more time but my conscience wouldn't let me, it's busy season in the hotel and they need all they help they can get. I'm just trying to squeeze in a lot of sleep whenever I can, not that it's helping much.

Eugh exactly Jack, life's so unfair!

rijohnston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My sister had glandular fever a few months back and I'm well experienced in the way of DKA's, they do make you feel tired for a bit after but I'd say its more to do with the glandular fever, it can last for weeks!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

caity.x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well I came in to work today, my boss told me he has covered all of my shifts for next weeks and I have to take a week off to rest... thank goodness for understanding and fair colleagues!

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well I came in to work today, my boss told me he has covered all of my shifts for next weeks and I have to take a week off to rest... thank goodness for understanding and fair colleagues!

Wow that is kind of them, hope you feel better soon Caity :)

Ann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
DKA is awful and can leave you feeling awful for days. It is so hard to get your energy levels back and feel 'human' again.

Hope you feel better soon.