exercise and bg readings

bedshaped2000

today i was celebrating after hearing id been successful in my job application. So went out this afternoon to eat and celebrate with family. i ate gammon, salad a fried egg and plenty of salad. i also ate the whole portion of chips that came with the meal. so after eating the carb monsters i deiced to walk back from the restaurant home which was a hour walk. 2hours after testing my bg was 6.3 not bad. thing im asking am i conning myself and the meter by exerciseing straight after a meal. surely we could then eat what we wanted and then do some vigarous exercise. i no it cant be that simple but i feel like treating myself every now and then and if it means exercising straight after so be it. or am i damageing anything else inside this sugarless shell and just conning the meter?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Bedshaped2000,

Nothing wrong with using exercise as a means of preventing post-meal high's. I often have a walk after my evening meal, more so if I have over indulged in the carbs, and I can tell you it works every time!

Exercise is just another means of reducing bg's, just the same as eating less less carbs in your meal works, both are effective in lowering blood glucose. I often inject less insulin to cover the carbs in my food if I know I am exercising afterwards, many others on the forum do likewise. Your not conning anyone, and your meter is there as a friend to tell you that what you have done is working.

Saturday nights are the one time I regulary indulge in extra carbs (chicken curry tonight) but I'll take the dog out afterwards for 30-40 mins before coming back to a few glasses of red wine, works for me and obviousely it does with you, so go for it!

Nigel

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Of course you're not conning your meter, you're using the fuel for what it's meant for...activity!
On top of that you're reducing your insulin sensitivity so it's a win win situation.
Like Nigel, I cut my insulin before and during exercise but on those occasions when I find I'm higher than I want to be 2 hours after a meal I'll go out for a walk, run or get on my skiing maching. It works :D