Exercise and Blood Sugar

Nick4344

Just test blood sugar for the first time after exercise.

Was 5.7 before exercise and then 7.2 after 30 mins in a treadmill.

I didn't expect an increase - is this usual?

Thanks

j@mez

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why Do Blood Glucose Levels Sometimes Go Up after Physical Activity?

When you exercise your muscles need more glucose to supply energy. In response, your liver increases the amount of glucose it releases into your bloodstream. Remember, however, that the glucose needs insulin in order to be used by your muscles. So if you do not have enough insulin available, your blood glucose levels can actually increase right after exercise. Basically, stimulated by the demand from your exercising muscles, your body is pouring glucose into your bloodstream. If you do not have enough insulin available to "unlock the door" to your muscles, the glucose cannot get into your muscles to provide needed energy. The end result is that glucose backs-up in your bloodstream, causing higher blood glucose readings.

Reactions: Type1Wonder_

Nick4344

Thanks for explaining. I can't think that exercise is bad for me generally, but if it raises blood sugar what should I do? Will it have negative effects if I am exercising regularly?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Exercise comes in many forms.
Walking, swimming and jogging and some light resistance work is beneficial to blood glucose levels.
For more strenuous workouts, you have to find a balance of carbs, fats and proteins to help you through the exercise.
I think a moderate rise doing exercise is usually normal for your body to cope with, but too much as always is not!
Everything depends on your personal lifestyle and how you cope with diabetes and exercise, age, capability and what you are trying to achieve and accomplish.

Raghu_Nandan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
After how long after exercise you tested ? try to test after 1 hr or so ... and may be couple of hrs after exercise ..exercise has prolong impact on BG ...also are you T2 or T1 ?

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have read that the long term benefit of building muscles is worth the short term impact of higher BG.
I think that Dr Bernstien say's something like "don't run for the bus, run for a mile" so you get benefit for the rise.

Of course, you need to keep the rise low - no point getting too high - but 7.2 is ok isn't it?

Reactions: ziggy_w

Nick4344

Thanks for all the responses. I haven't been diagnosed T2 yet. I had a hbac1 reading of 49 a couple of months ago. Waiting on a new test result. In the meantime I have lost almost a stone and my estimated hbac1 level through the My sugar app is 38.1 following my low carb diet after about 4 weeks. I realise it will be another few weeks before I see that coming through in a hbA1 test.

I tested immediately after exercising but since been to Nando's for half a chicken and salad so won't get an accurate reading for the 1 hour gap after exercise.

I'm still new and don't know what's good or bad in terms of readings and see 7.2 from 5.7 as worrying - but if 7.2 is still ok then that makes me feel a bit better

So don't know what i am really :)

Reactions: nomoredonuts

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Kinda what @Lamont said ; we (on here) often say that walking is a better form of exercise than running. For me at least, walking burns off the sugar adequately, whereas running sends demands to my liver to release sugar for fuel. On hot sweaty summer walks along clifftops, I sometimes experience a rise, which, though disappointing isn't all bad, as I'm still burning sugar, and my low will come along eventually.