Exercise and the Newcastle Diet

robCornelius

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am 49 and I have always exercised. I just started the Newcastle Diet in an attempt to finally get on top of my type 2 diabetes.

I am concerned that if I really go for it I am going to burn off a lot of calories at once and this might be dangerous. My current plan is to stick to t'ai chi and flexibility work while I am on the diet but I would love to keep up some strength and conditioning training with my kettlebell and erg.

Can I still do this if I am careful?

Reactions: GrahamHamblin

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi. I'm just going from memory here and this may pertain only to the ND initial trial but it was suggested that no excercise should be taken for the first two weeks then moderate excercise thereafter for the remaining weeks of the diet.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
I am 49 and I have always exercised. I just started the Newcastle Diet in an attempt to finally get on top of my type 2 diabetes.

I am concerned that if I really go for it I am going to burn off a lot of calories at once and this might be dangerous. My current plan is to stick to t'ai chi and flexibility work while I am on the diet but I would love to keep up some strength and conditioning training with my kettlebell and erg.

Can I still do this if I am careful?
As you're running at a massive deficit I wouldn't recommend anything super intensive. @Guzzler is completely right there about the recommendations, it's about dumping the weight first and foremost and you need the extra protein for strength training.