Exercise frustration!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I made the call last week to start running with my puppy instead of walking him. Get him more tired out and get me fitter. The havoc it has caused with my BG combined with muscle pain and general lack of enjoyment I've found so far though is enough to make anyone want to quit.

Lucky for my pup I'm no quitter!

I'm not getting the liver dump many people speak of, but I'm getting major insulin sensitivity for a 24 hours afterwards, often up to about 36 hours. I've had only 1 bad ( not even that bad, just bad for me) hypo last week and 3 milder ones..... That's more than I had the whole of May.

I know all the theory on reducing basal etc and reducing carb/bolus ratio at meals. I've decided to speak to my DSN about the basal though as I'm on very low doses anyway so 1 unit less is a 33% reduction - could be too much.

So I'm not looking for answers. Just an excuse to rant!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Speaking of which, I've now been having a hypo for the last hour which won't shift above 3.9! I haven't had any insulin for 4 and a half hours so this is just plain irritating! Shakey hands don't make using a mouse easy!

It's almost lunch time, how do I play that one? Do I eat and then inject my insulin afterwards (probably a slightly reduced dose)? Or do I carry on as normal (assuming my hypo stops)?

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
Hi, when I'm in full exercise mode for a few days I literally run my basals at half the usual amount as you know the energy is burning for hours afterwards.

If your still hypo for lunch then I would skip your bolus entirely or maybe do a half bolus.

I always go hypo in the afternoons regardless of what basal I'm on so tend to have a snack now and just don't bolus for it.
Hope your sugars have come up now?

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I got it up to 6 and it stayed there. I've opted for a half bolus with lunch just in case, I was only taking 3 units anyway so half isn't a HUGE reduction, and injected once I was finished eating

I don't think my runs are that strenuous, only half hour a day. And it's a walk/run combination!

I think combining exercise with the honeymoon period is the issue as sometimes my pancreas kicks in and wants to work too. Far too much sillyness going on in my body!

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
haha I know exactly what you mean. I follow pretty much the same routine day in day out and yet I make a tiny adjustment or just for no reason at all my body just goes mad and decides no! It's not happening!

Hope your sugars have stayed ok so far this afternoon? You could be right as if your still in the honeymood period it will definitely mess you up a little. You may find over the next few days and weeks depending how often you go out that your insulin requirements will definitely drop. You might only be doing 30 mins but your body probably isn't used to it so it will feel like a good little work out. You'll settle down soon enough, keep at it :D

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dropped down to 3.9 again this afternoon, not hypo as such as I feel fine. But too low to drive. So I'm just having a munch before I get in the car home!

Instead of a run today I'm just going to have a walk, seems running is going to be pushing it. Will run tomorrow instead.

Not heard back from my DSN which is unlike her. Going to reduce to 2 units levemir tonight anyway and see how that works out for me tomorrow

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I lie - she replied as I was writing that message! She's agreed to reducing the levemir to 2, and maybe even reducing the breakfast ratio also. Trial and error as usual!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm thinking along exactly the same lines as you and will be e-mailing my dietician this evening.

Yesterday prior to my 3 hour run, I dropped by basal levemir from 6 to 4 units and my bolus from 3 to 1. Keeping a steady drip of carbs and testing every 6km/35 minutes my levels were very much in control between 5.4 and 7.

I then replenished at lunch with good readings either side at 6.2 and 5.4 but then a dip down to 4.3 before a low carb dinner with just two units, and then rising back up to 8.1 at bedtime. Now that's OK, but then this morning I woke early to get up to Aberdeen with a reading of 4.1 before a good breakfast of porridge, nuts and fruit and a couple of cheeky garibaldis, but my 2hrs post meal was only 4.1, so I had another snack at the airport. Lunchtime readings were screwy though with an 8.9 after lunch, so I've been yo-yoing a bit today.

Yes it's been a tiring day, but things are going out of whack here. I'm wondering how long this post exercise sentitivity lasts and whether I should cut my evening basal and morning bolus the day after a longer session like that otherwise I'll just keep chasing my tail which I don't want.

Faith*

Dislikes
Yes when you first start doing it, expect the first few days even up to a week to be a lot of trial and error. I'm either at the gym or running everyday so I've built up a decent sensitivity to insulin but then If I miss a few days I have to change back to my old ratio's basals as my body isn't as active.

Definitely start with lowering your levemir at night by 2 and see if tomorrow is any different. Don't be afraid to do the run though otherwise you won't be able to figure out what your body needs - as my partner tells me, don't change too much insulin wise, at once otherwise you won't know which works and which doesn't.

Let us know how you get on tomorrow and whether it evens out? Like I said I love afternoons as I can eat my snack without bolusing heehee

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Faith,

it's not that I'm unused to exercise, I average 5-sessions a week, I'm just not used worked out this new variable yet. It's all just one more experiment.

Holiday next week, then I start tapering towards my 70-miler.

Faith*

Dislikes
ElyDave said:
Thanks Faith,

it's not that I'm unused to exercise, I average 5-sessions a week, I'm just not used worked out this new variable yet. It's all just one more experiment.

Holiday next week, then I start tapering towards my 70-miler.

70 miles!!! Yikes! Please tell me that's on a bike? I can barely push past 3 miles at the moment haha

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ElyDave said:
Now that's OK, but then this morning I woke early to get up to Aberdeen

Haha I forgot you were up in Aberdeen! You could have at least brought some warmth with you no?

As predicted with a lower basal I woke up at 8.2 today.

Faith I've been alternating my days between walks and runs (the dog needs out regardless of my BG!) so a brisk walk is just longer than my run, so still decent exercise. Back to a run tonight, will see if that changes my morning BG tomorrow.

The DSN has suggested 2 units during the week and 3 at the weekend as I snack a little more at the weekends. Nearly all my snacks are bolus free at the moment :)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Running high all day, 9-10 mostly. Very frustrating! Had a little nap in a meeting haha

Rain has stopped so hoping to get a run in today and see how that works out

Faith*

Dislikes
hale710 said:
Running high all day, 9-10 mostly. Very frustrating! Had a little nap in a meeting haha

Rain has stopped so hoping to get a run in today and see how that works out

Oh no, hope your ok?
I've gone the opposite way today, literally can't keep above 5, have a massive headache from the permanent state of hypo! It's no wonder I'm losing my marbles!!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I have a headache from the high level!

Rain apparently hasn't stopped at all so the run will be short I think haha

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did my run this morning, I knew the rain was coming.

And no, Faith it's not 70 miles on a bike, that wouldn't need training. It's a 70 mile ultramarathon in the grounds of a posh estate in Lincolnshire.

This morning was a bit of a challenge for me.

Wake up - test at 4.9, take my levemir and a gel, go for a run, get back and test at 7.5 pre breakfast.
Low-ish carb breakfast with 2 units Novorapid
Walk up to clients offices, 2 hours post breakfast test at 3.7 :shock:
Quick snack before my first meeting.

Looks like post exercise insulin sensitivity hit quite hard this morning, so I may need to think about reducing that novorapid dose to 1 unit. Have left the DNS/Dietician a voicemail.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm at my desk by 6.30.... No way I'm managing a run before that!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I could, but it would defeat the purpose of running with my dog to tire him out lol he doesn't mind running in the rain it seems haha

Faith*

Dislikes
Wow ElyDave, that's very impressive. Well done :) Hope you can sort the low sugars out, could you squeeze an extra gel in somewhere? What's the ultramarathon called, my other half is interested as he goes for the hellrunner types etc and is looking to do a marathon later in the year so maybe will be ready for the ultra next year lol

My morning routine is usually:
up at 5.45 - porridge for breakfast with half bolus. 50% basal reduction
Gym by 6.30am - either 10k bike or a 5k run depending on my mood, followed by weights, again varied between, arms, shoulders, back, chest, legs.
then in work for 8.30am for second breakfast and then I just snack on fruit and tuna salad for the day.

Did you enjoy your walk/run hale?