Exercise, type 1 diabetes and healthiness

Kerry-Michelle

Hi guys I hope you are all well...

So I thought I'd share this with you all (A) to give myself a bit more self confidence and motivation and (B) maybe to see if I could get some tips off of you guys...

So the last month has been a hard one for me I hit rock bottom didnt want to do anything or look after myself properly with my diabetes... But anyway I don't want to dwell on the past.. Last night i thought to myself while watching a program about people who suffer with obesity.. I don't want to be like that!! So decided that is it i am getting nyself back into shape for the best! (I have put weight on since being type 1 and found it really hard to shift it)

Today my and my other half went to work as usual.. Then luckily we both finished at 3pm.. So nipped into town to get some fresh salad for tonight.. Other half is doing chicken wraps with all the salad and the wraps are weight watchers :D we put away the shopping and got ready to go for a walk..

This is the best bit I ran ONE MILE!!! Now this may not seem like much to some but to me this is brilliant I would have never been able to do it myself it did take me just under an hour which isn't so good but things will get better.. When we came home i did 20 push ups and 20 ab crunches... Now the plan is to do this every night without fail and hopefully this weight will drop off I want to lose around 4 stone and I will!! :D

This is the part where you guys come in... Could you share any tips you have or even tell me about what levels you should ideally have after exercise??

Sorry for writing an essay but I want to tell people as this is an achievement for me...

Many thanks

Kerry xx

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Great achievement Kerry ! As for advice, I could offer loads but it seems you're already off to a great start. One thing I wouls say is if you don't ever add a little variety to your exercise, it will soon become a chore. Good luck with the weight loss and keep us posted with your workouts and progress. That would be great motivation in itself :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also type 1 and have always found exercise a struggle. Basically anything can happen. Never exercise with bs over 13. I try to be at least 7 before exercise . Always have fast acting sugar with u. You might find that your sugars actually increase as u exercise but can fall for up to 24 hours after and need to adjust insulin. My advice test before excercise, half way through excercise and after. That way u can see what effect it has on your body. I find if im excersising within an hour of eating and injecting I reduce my insulin by 50 per cent. Also I have a small long acting carb afterwards to abouts going low. Also u might find u need to reduce your basal if u r excersising regularly. Good luck with your goal but also remember to have a break to allow your muscles to repair. Its a good idea to excercise different muscle groups on different days and not consecutively.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes a great start Kerry and hope you achieve your goal, just remember to take it easy and not try to do too much too soon :)

I reduce my insulin doses before exercise so try to aim for my normal postprandial bg readings after exercise, that said mine isn't anything as strenuous as yours and I only really use walking and cycling as a means of exercise, perhaps a chat with your DSN may be helpful in deciding the best way forward to avoid hypo's/hyper's after exercising.

LemonTree

Dislikes
High sugar levels :(
I lost 20lb using weight watchers and doing exercises on the Wii fit. It's not overly strenuous but I could do it in my own home and vary the activities. I almost cut my insulin doses in half, I had lots more energy and felt great and the best thing is getting a waist line! Make sure you drink plenty of water throughout the day when exercising.

I'm hoping to drum up some motivation to get back on the Wii very soon, I feel so sluggish since Christmas... ;)

Good luck! xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Kerry-Michelle

Thanks guys!!! :D means alot!!

I'm taking it slow but keeping on going.. At the moment I'm just concentrating on running and abs at the moment as I work with children at a nursery I'm finding I've got bigger arm muscles from having to lift the children up and down for nappy changes and anything they need... So for me it's just tum, bum, hips and thighs.. General toning and losing weight :)

I checked my levels when I got he before my run and I was 7.5 which is in the middle where I like to be after work.. And when got back in I was at 10.1.. I just drank loads of water I didn't have anything sugary.. And just got on with the cleaning and still feeling fine but I'm sure I will feel it tomorrow but no pain no gain they say :)

Lemon tree well done for losing 20lbs on the wii.. I wish I had one of those but unfortunately I don't have alot of money hense the running.. If I had the money for a gym membership I'd go but too expensive...

Thank you all again for the replies!!!

:D

You're all stars :)

Kerry xx

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@kerry~michelle. Sounds a good excercise regime, good luck and let us all know how u get on.

rylance1947

My son is 13 and type 1,I am wanting some tips for him to lose weight,I am trying to cut his portions down,but can't watch him 24/7,but doesnt seem to be losing weight,my partner is trying a fitness plan with him but you can't lead a duck to water,if you know what I mean,I've even thought of him doing the Atkins diet,can anyone help?

Kerry-Michelle

Okay here's a little update...

Brilliant news!! 3lbs gone in just over a week... Fitness regime is still easy but running has helped..

Tips: eat lots of fresh vegetables and I've found snacking on carrot, celery and cucumber sticks good with my sugars and brilliant for a snack at work.. Also I don't shop at tescos or other big supermarkets much I buy locally which I always finds saves me money also I get more for my money and I know where it's come from.. Don't eat processed food.. Fresh chicken is always in my fridge and I buy butchers sausages from my local butchers and they are 96% pork so not much ****** bits in them...

Potatoes.. Now some diabetics stay away from them however my dietician has said that potatoes is okay for me to have in my diet but I don't eat alot of it.. A small jacket potato or 3 baby potatoes with salad and I make my own potato wedges but still I only have a handful of them at the most..

Bread!!: I'm a sucker for fresh bread but I am currently trying my on homemade bread..

Exercise: I run twice a week for an hour at the moment I am running just around 2 and a bit miles but will be increasing the length as I get fitter, I also do 100 crunches a week and 50 push ups, as I have a weak upper body I have a 5L water bottle with a handle on top which I use as a weight and I do 100 reps of that after I've ran.. I can not afford a gym membership or afford to by equipment so making your own versions of things really saves money..

These tips have been helping me.. I hope they could help others but all these tips are suited to me and everyone is different with their diabetes so trial and error guys.. Also I'm not a dietician or a fitness expert..

Many thanks :)

Kerry xx

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
Hi Kerry-Michelle,
Your plan sounds absolutely brilliant - looks like you've nailed it!! I've a similar style to you, I try to run a few times a week and go to the gym to do weights maybe a few times a week depending if I can get away from work :shock: I eat potatoes as well, mainly jacket potatoes at lunch time or sometimes a little bit of mash for tea. Good idea with the celery/carrot sticks, I might try this - is it not a bit bland or do you get used to it?
Thanks, Joanne

Kerry-Michelle

Thanks Joanne

I have celery and carrot and cucumber sticks one day then hard boiled eggs another just to change it up a bit so I don't get bored and I do have cheese cubes too, sometimes I like to dip my carrot and celery sticks in low fat cheese spread but not to much :) just a little in a little klip fresh pot, :) hope that helps :)

Kerry xx

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well done kerry keep up the good work :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
All looking good Kerry :thumbup:

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
I'll have to try and do the celery sticks I think. I have a hard boiled egg with lunch if I'm having a salad. I get gluten free crackers as I've coeliac disease too and there's hardly anything in them so I sometimes have one or two of them if I'm hungry. :? x

Kerry-Michelle

Thanks noblehead..

And faith yes give them a go, :) I love them and I can eat them whenever I want.. And they're good with anything :) I love boiled eggs with salad too :) easy to make and a nice lunch too especially in the summer :)

Thanks everyone :)

Kerry xx

Kerry-Michelle

Hello everyone... How are you all

Just a little update.. Another 3lbs gone but I've cut my exercise regime down, I still do my running but I have cut down the crunches and push ups as I have been working a lot lately and my line of work is very hectic and keeps me active and not having much time to do anything I've cut it down but still keepin up with the healthy eating regime, my boyfriends cousin is a qualified nutritionist and has given him a diet to try as he has problems with acid reflux and the medication doctors are given him don't help so we are going gluten free... So I would like to ask you guys if you know or can share things about gluten free diets... I haven't seen anything about gluten free diets with diabetes but our nutritionist has said it will be better for me also...

I hope you are all doing well and had a lovely weekend

Many thanks

Kerry xxx

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nice to hear its going well for you :). Can't offer much advice on a gluten free diet but gluten intolerance is often a added complication for diabetics. Did try gluten free bread once and never again lol.

Faith*

Dislikes
Hi Kerry,
I have coeliac disease as well as diabetes so I follow a gluten free diet. Most of the foods are really nice, 100% better than what they used to be. Most supermarkets stock there own range of free from foods which are usually at the bottom of an aisle (it should be signposted) they always have a frozen section too. I tend to stick with Tesco and Asda as I prefer there range of foods. You can get all types of gluten free bread and pasta (breads can be funny, I tend to only toast mine). They have crackers, biscuits etc.

Also just following a basic healthy lifestyle you can cut out a lot of gluten/wheat such as sticking to veg/meats/fruits and nuts.

It's mainly anything that has normal flour in that would contain gluten/wheat.

Hope this helps xx