Expirence with Gliclazide

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I have been told to take Gliclazide and just wondered what expirences you guys have had with this?
Been a T2 Diabetic for 1 year, have passed all tests, it just my blood sugar.
If i weight train and run etc my blood sugars drop to around 7-6.2mmol
Still trying to stableize.

Metformin just made me feel ****** so im on Gliclazide

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

B

badcat

Ive been on glic for over 20'years - no problems with it.
Need to check sugars to avoid hypos,particularly while you get used to it and what pushes sugars high / low so your gp needs to provide you with a blood glucose meter and test strips on repeat prescription - if he / she declines to do so then they are in breach of NICE guidance

Last edited by a moderator:

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
At one time I was on max. dose of Metformin and because I was discovered to have diverticular disease the hospital consultant suggested it may be contributing to my frequent/ urgent loo visits. As a result my Metformin dose was reduced and I was prescribed Gliclazide. I didn't have any problems until I started reducing carbs and increasing my regular exercise. I had several hypos as my BS's were dropping too low. My dose was reduced and my hypos stopped. So in general I would say it's OK but as already advised keep a close eye on levels and if necessary ask for your dose to be changed. Hope this helps.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had no problems - best advice I can give you is don't feed the hypos (less than 4) this will lead to the weight gain that some say is a side effect - if you start to get lots of below 4 contact your GP to reduce the dose

D

Deleted member 101090

not sure if its the gliclazide but i have suddenly lost appetite but i was told gliclazide stops you from losing weight. so i lost some but probably far less than i would have without it. forgot to take it for a day and i went on a sleeping binge. however doctors are not really available here, so i wonder if gliclazide gave me a stomach ulcer (i got serious ibs too). i personally do not like that stuff but i take it.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I was on full dose Glic for years with no problems but eventually it stopped working as my beta cells largely died. It's a drug with few problems other than it can cause hypos by working too well. Ensure you have a meter and be prepared to reduce the dose if needed to avoid hypos. Glic will only cause weight gain if you have too many carbs. BTW, did you try Metformin SR (Slow Release) which is much better for avoiding bowel problems then the standard version and is a useful drug if you have excess weight.

D

Deleted member 101090

Hi. I was on full dose Glic for years with no problems but eventually it stopped working as my beta cells largely died. It's a drug with few problems other than it can cause hypos by working too well. Ensure you have a meter and be prepared to reduce the dose if needed to avoid hypos. Glic will only cause weight gain if you have too many carbs. BTW, did you try Metformin SR (Slow Release) which is much better for avoiding bowel problems then the standard version and is a useful drug if you have excess weight.
yes, i am on the slow release. the bowel issues came from an anti depressant, so i am without that help too

D

Deleted member 101090

yes, i am on the slow release. the bowel issues came from an anti depressant, so i am without that help too
at this minute in time i wonder why i lose weight without an effort, why i only eat a fraction of what i used to eat and what the matter could be. i never liked gliclazide myself but i take it

why397

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello everyone

I started on regular Metformin . I then moved to slow release Metformin to help with frequent loo visits , and it worked I am now on a combo of slow release Metformin and gliclazide and all is well . However my Hba1c is 66 which I think it too high and my glucose blood level is 10.5 which is also high. I am working on both with exercise.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Metformin just made me feel ****** so I'm on Gliclazide

Be aware that these drugs work in different ways.

your gp needs to provide you with a blood glucose meter and test strips on repeat prescription - if he / she declines to do so then they are in breech of NICE guidance

Not sure if that's completely true. See http://www.diabetes.co.uk/nhs/availability-of-test-strips.html

The DVLA has clear instructions for diabetics taking insulin but not so clear for those taking a drug which makes the pancreas produce more insulin such as Gliclazide.

You will need to be careful of what your BG is doing especially if you're running and weight training. If somebody having a hypo drove their car into me, I wouldn't care if they were insulin dependent or taking Gliclazide, they should be equally aware. In fact the police could charge you with driving under the influence of a drug (insulin or tablet), so says Trend UK.

What is daft about it is that a type II taking Gliclazide and driving a group 2 vehicle (LGV/PCV) would have to do the same as an insulin dependent driver. Car or LGV or PCV will all hurt.

I think it's only hypos where assistance is required that have to be reported to the DVLA.

Making sure colleagues at work aware of what to do should a hypo occur is worth considering.

My personal experience with Gliclazide is that I gained 10 kgs without a change in diet or exercise. When I cut out spuds/rice/pasta/bread I was able to ditch Gliclazide and Januvia.

Reactions: rosalindp

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone

I started on regular Metformin . I then moved to slow release Metformin to help with frequent loo visits , and it worked I am now on a combo of slow release Metformin and gliclazide and all is well . However my Hba1c is 66 which I think it too high and my glucose blood level is 10.5 which is also high. I am working on both with exercise.

Hey there, @why397 and welcome!

Just wanted to write a quick note to say congrats - you're taking some great steps to controlling your illness and getting those numbers down. But it's a journey we have to monitor on a day-to-day basis and progress might not happen quickly. But it will happen.

Do post any other questions or queries you have and have a look around at how you might be able to work with your diet to get your numbers down a bit. Also, consider a BG meter (if you don't have one already) and a food diary as tools to help you in your campaign.

Good luck!

B

badcat

Be aware that these drugs work in different ways.

Not sure if that's completely true. See http://www.diabetes.co.uk/nhs/availability-of-test-strips.html

The DVLA has clear instructions for diabetics taking insulin but not so clear for those taking a drug which makes the pancreas produce more insulin such as Gliclazide.

You will need to be careful of what your BG is doing especially if you're running and weight training. If somebody having a hypo drove their car into me, I wouldn't care if they were insulin dependent or taking Gliclazide, they should be equally aware. In fact the police could charge you with driving under the influence of a drug (insulin or tablet), so says Trend UK.

What is daft about it is that a type II taking Gliclazide and driving a group 2 vehicle (LGV/PCV) would have to do the same as an insulin dependent driver. Car or LGV or PCV will all hurt.

I think it's only hypos where assistance is required that have to be reported to the DVLA.

Making sure colleagues at work aware of what to do should a hypo occur is worth considering.

My personal experience with Gliclazide is that I gained 10 kgs without a change in diet or exercise. When I cut out spuds/rice/pasta/bread I was able to ditch Gliclazide and Januvia.

Re test strips - this is from NICE guidance

1.6.13 Do not routinely offer self-monitoring of blood glucose levels for adults with type 2 diabetes UNLESS
  • the person is on insulin or

• there is evidence of hypoglycaemic episodes or

• the person is on oral medication that may increase their risk of hypoglycaemia while driving or operating machinery or

• the person is pregnant, or is planning to become pregnant. For more information, see the NICE guideline on diabetes in pregnancy. [new 2015]
  • I rather think Glic and other sulfonylureas come in under bullet point number 3 and (in most cases ) number 2 Certainly for me, the Nice guidance combined with the fact that I have poor hypo awareness is what keeps my gp prescribing

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
  • I rather think Glic and other sulfonylureas come in under bullet point number 3 and (in most cases ) number 2 Certainly for me, the Nice guidance combined with the fact that I have poor hypo awareness is what keeps my gp prescribing

Apologies, I didn't explain myself properly. I understand the guidelines and as someone who took Gliclazide for 5 years or more I fully understand the importance of monitoring. If your doctor is prescribing that's great, they don't all follow the guidelines to the letter and my prescription for test strips stopped so long ago I can't even remember when.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems that people diagnosed with type 2 are first given metformin and if there is an intolerance to that they are given drugs like gliclazide instead. Metformin only reduces blood sugars a small amount. A much more effective solution is a LCHF diet where most people with type 2 can get down to non-diabetic levels within 9 months.

About 80% of people with type 2 are overweight or obese. Years of overeating carbohydrates has caused fat to be deposited in the liver, which causes insulin resistance and in the pancreas which causes beta cell dysfunction. Beta cells are how the body produces insulin. Drugs like gliclazide make the remaining beta cells work harder and this can cause further beta cell burn out which can lead to insulin needing to be injected to control blood sugar. Gliclazide is actually making the underlying cause of diabetes worse in this case.

Rather than making your beta cells work harder with drugs, it is better to reduce the load on the beta cells by a low carb diet. A ketogenic diet can help burn off the fat in the liver and pancreas which can decrease insulin resistance and improve beta cell function. So, if you can’t take metformin, try a LCHF diet first and intermittent fasting or low calorie diets such as Newcastle second.

Reactions: rosalindp
B

badcat

Apologies, I didn't explain myself properly. I understand the guidelines and as someone who took Gliclazide for 5 years or more I fully understand the importance of monitoring. If your doctor is prescribing that's great, they don't all follow the guidelines to the letter and my prescription for test strips stopped so long ago I can't even remember when.
When my gp practice did a blanket ban on test strips for type 2 whatever the medication, a letter to the senior partner quoting NICE guidance and highlighting the hypo risk with glic, together with a question as to whether it was the CCG, the doctors in the practice or the practice manager who was choosing to ignore NICE guidance? soon saw my prescriptions reinstated

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
soon saw my prescriptions reinstated

Did it apply to everyone? It would be interesting to hear from other type IIs, taking something like insulin or Gliclazide, who may have had similar experiences. I don't think the guidelines have always said what they say now, that's part of the trouble, I stopped taking Gliclazide over 4 years ago.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
When I was first diagnosed I was put on Metformin and Gliclizade. Couldn't take Metformin (unfortunately the GI effects took care of that). I am on a dose of 40mg of Gliclizade twice daily (which has never given me any problems). I was briefly off it but my HBAC1 began to nudge up again because the steroids I have to take for my autoimmune condition. I do however low carb (over 4 stone lost in weight now also). Being weaned off the steroids (which may take another year). Hopefully after this I won't need the Gliclizade but in any case I do not intend to go back to the way of eating that cause the weight gain in the first place (along with the steroids and underactive thyroid). I do tend to be aware that if I haven't eaten enough carbs it can have an effect on my BS level the next morning - I have had as low as 3.4 (at which point I felt shaky inside and had some sugar). I tend to find an oatcake with a bit of butter on prevents the low level being too much of a problem. I always keep a pot of proper Greek yoghurt in (bought from Quality Save - which is actually made in Greece and is not too high on the fat content and in my view is a better flavour than most).

B

badcat

Did it apply to everyone? It would be interesting to hear from other type IIs, taking something like insulin or Gliclazide, who may have had similar experiences. I don't think the guidelines have always said what they say now, that's part of the trouble, I stopped taking Gliclazide over 4 years ago.
Yes that would be interesting.
Personally I dont think its the practice GPs that instigate any blanket bans on test strips - Ive been on Glic and prescribed test strips for over 20 years - the only time theres been any problem getting repeats its always been towards the end of the financial year leading me to hypothesise that iits a non clinical practice manager driving the issue rather than a medic. Maybe im over cynical (I think not) but a letter to one of the partner GPs always sorts the issue out

jlm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It seems that people diagnosed with type 2 are first given metformin and if there is an intolerance to that they are given drugs like gliclazide instead. Metformin only reduces blood sugars a small amount. A much more effective solution is a LCHF diet where most people with type 2 can get down to non-diabetic levels within 9 months.

About 80% of people with type 2 are overweight or obese. Years of overeating carbohydrates has caused fat to be deposited in the liver, which causes insulin resistance and in the pancreas which causes beta cell dysfunction. Beta cells are how the body produces insulin. Drugs like gliclazide make the remaining beta cells work harder and this can cause further beta cell burn out which can lead to insulin needing to be injected to control blood sugar. Gliclazide is actually making the underlying cause of diabetes worse in this case.

Rather than making your beta cells work harder with drugs, it is better to reduce the load on the beta cells by a low carb diet. A ketogenic diet can help burn off the fat in the liver and pancreas which can decrease insulin resistance and improve beta cell function. So, if you can’t take metformin, try a LCHF diet first and intermittent fasting or low calorie diets such as Newcastle second.
Hi I just stopped gliclazide for 3 days and my bs are starting to rise again from below 7 to between 7 and 9.5 I need to lose weight. can you explain further or give additional references. thank you. jeff