Extended bolus

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was wondering if anyone could give me a few examples of foods that you would use an extended bolus for.
I know that you would with pizza and pasta but what else?

Indiana x

D

Deleted member 83869

I was wondering if anyone could give me a few examples of foods that you would use an extended bolus for.
I know that you would with pizza and pasta but what else?

Indiana x
I think it varies for most people lol! Basically any takeaways food's I need it the most for rice and pizza, but then again other people may not! What pump are you on? :) x

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have used it with varying success for buffets.........when out at birthday party's etc.........

just picking at bits of pakoras and other delights can play havoc on BG, its not something I would do often, but the extended bolus works well.........

when being trained on my pump, the medtronic veo, it was actually suggested that an extended bolus could be considered for any meal over 60g, provided your on target before it of course.....

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very interesting. I'm finding that this week I've been having my dinner and then I might have a snack later on in the night and I'll bolus for them individually. In the night though my bg is going up to 19!

I'm on the accu chek combo

Indiana x

Reactions: 2 people

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
It could be the food or it could be that your night time basal rates are wrong?

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm going to do some basal testing next week, I've been on the pump for a week now so I've been getting used to it and things.
Time to start tweaking doses now!
To test night time basal do you test hourly like you would in the day time?

Indiana x

D

Deleted member 83869

Very interesting. I'm finding that this week I've been having my dinner and then I might have a snack later on in the night and I'll bolus for them individually. In the night though my bg is going up to 19!

I'm on the accu chek combo

Indiana x
That sounds like you night time basal! What time is it starting to rise? x

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No idea. It wakes me up at around 2-3am. I go to bed at around 11 and my bg usually about 6-8

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually have my tea at around 7 and then have a snack at about 9-10 and then bed at 11. I bolus for all of my snacks

Indiana x

D

Deleted member 83869

I usually have my tea at around 7 and then have a snack at about 9-10 and then bed at 11. I bolus for all of my snacks

Indiana x
It's your bolus then! I would say upping your basal from midnight onwards! What are you when you wake up? x

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I normally correct when I wake up high and then wake up at about 13.
I'm thinking it's my basal too.

Thanks for your advice Nicola :)

How long have you been on a pump?

Indiana x

D

Deleted member 83869

I normally correct when I wake up high and then wake up at about 13.
I'm thinking it's my basal too.

Thanks for your advice Nicola :)

How long have you been on a pump?

Indiana x
Sounds like the whole of your night time basal needs changing, when did you last increase it? And since October :) if you ever need help just message me :) x

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I've been hovering at around the 11 mark in the day time too so I've increased my basal throughout from 1.1uph to 1.15uph I don't know how much of a difference .05 makes but I was a bit scared of increasing it too much!

Indiana x

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Best to increase steadily as you're doing. I would test every 2 hours from 10ish onwards. Can you have your supper a lot earlier as basal testing needs to be done when no food or bolus is affecting things. I'm not the best to offer advice on basal testing because I don't do it at all - I know I should for things to be accurate. I have 12 basal rates set through 24 hours so if my blood sugars start going awry I change a basal rate time block (e.g. 10 to midnight) a bit at the time. Not all that scientific but it does work for me most of the time. I have been in the pump for almost 3 years so no my way around :)

D

Deleted member 83869

I've been hovering at around the 11 mark in the day time too so I've increased my basal throughout from 1.1uph to 1.15uph I don't know how much of a difference .05 makes but I was a bit scared of increasing it too much!

Indiana x

Upping it by 0.5 is absolutely fine, I have always been told to up it by that too! How about your ratio's??? x

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Check this out for basal testing: http://diatribe.org/issues/13/learning-curve

that would tell you that if your on a basal rate of above 1 unit per hour, then adjustments increments go up and down by 0.2, so instead of 1.1 to 1.15 it would be more effective going from 1.1 to 1.3...

have it read, its quite good.....

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys, I'll have a look at that.

My ratios are fine, they're the same as what they were when I was on injections and they work, I'm having to correct at every meal though which is why I think it's my basal.

I'm correcting in the middle of the night, first thing in the morning and pretty much every time I test in the day too!

Indiana x

D

Deleted member 83869

Thanks guys, I'll have a look at that.

My ratios are fine, they're the same as what they were when I was on injections and they work, I'm having to correct at every meal though which is why I think it's my basal.

I'm correcting in the middle of the night, first thing in the morning and pretty much every time I test in the day too!

Indiana x

Ah yes I get what you mean erm! do the corrections bring you down to what they should be??? x

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not really no!
I'm getting very confused about it! I've been diabetic for 18 years and feel like a newbe again!
I've increased my basal by another .05 today.

Indiana x